How can our chubby, drug-addled and right-on Army protect us from our enemies?

It's interesting, but off topic, that Russia achieved a great weakening of European armed forces by accident, in 1989. If Russia was minded to attack the west, have we recently been weaker?
It is interesting. If we use history as a guide it is these periods of weakness that are visible on the bell curve before a big war. We could easily end up at war with a Russian alliance with Turkey or someone like that. A Russian alliance would pose quite the military problem for an overstretched and underfunded military across europe. The US are the only western military that have remained well funded, well equipped and sizable since 1989.

It is interesting. If we use history as a guide it is these periods of weakness that are visible on the bell curve before a big war. We could easily end up at war with a Russian alliance with Turkey or someone like that. A Russian alliance would pose quite the military problem for an overstretched and underfunded military across europe. The US are the only western military that have remained well funded, well equipped and sizable since 1989.
Agreed. And lacking the time and investment necessary to increase our defence capability. That is, if we are in a period of weakness, we should be taking steps to increase our preparedness now.

There is one partiicular Tory MP girding up his loins as we type...Or not if his furious back peddling on twitter is to be believed
At least two former military types at it; add Collins (and probably others) to the mix and you could suspect that a pow-wow has taken place; the ghost of Walter Walker is walking about the corridors.

As it nearly 'burn a catholic' night shouln't our Tim be building a Guy?

Your mate is talking out his hoop
Instant banjo and bratty ban was he gonna sleep with him?also brattys were not that easy to source in Canterbury.
extras? with a PTI?? you mean remedial PT? surely a BIFF chit would put the stoppers on that one
There has always been over weight people serving and there always will be I can remember one guy in the MT who was that fat he couldn't drive a four tonner "makes you wonder why he was in the MT" yet he completed his 22.....
There was the skills house across the road from the guard room, with turkish kebabs from the van to hand though….failing that even the hill sobered you up with your chinese takeaway.
Yellow brick road for those nice wee runs, with the golf course thrown in if you were into distance.

F*ck me, I logged onto arrse and it appears I have been redirected to the Daily Mail. Jumpers for goalposts, summers were hotter, etc, etc.....

Having served in the last 4 decades, there is not much difference between the 80’s soldier and now (other than the BAOR warriors memories have skewed). Life moves on and conditions change, otherwise we would have soldiers sleeping on straw mattresses with the pads living behind a curtain at the end of the room.

For example, there was a huge rave/drug culture in Germany in the early 90’s, with lots of the Toms going to Hannover and other major cities. The big difference is we didn’t have CDT, so soldiers had to be caught in possession. It’s also rather ironic that people are condemning drugs at the same time as lamenting the demise of binge drinking :)

As for the fat c*nt, I was under the impression he is a cadet adult instructor, therefor he is a civvie playing dress up.

I still can’t believe grown adults look at the Mail as a source of news ^~

Are you trying to suggest that things like dumping our fleet in the Shat Al Arab because we couldn't be fucked paying to bring it back, which the Iraqis then promptly recovered via tugs and pulleys, was somehow a mistake and poor planning?! :D
Is there any detail to go along with this story? What did we leave behind?

in the old blocks you'd hear talking, shouting, laughing, screaming, crying for help, etc.
Having lived in 'spiders', and platoon sized barrack rooms, (the old Victoria Barracks) with only a locker between you and the next bed-space, there was not much camaraderie when the piss-heads returned at silly-AM, switched all the lights on, talked at the top of their voices, and ate curry take-away, before falling asleep, without switching the lights off..

Last edited:
Same way the drunken misogynistic twats of BAOR did
Same way the reluctant soldiers of National Service Days did
Same way the outnumbered and under-equipped D-Day dodgers and Normandy tourists did
Same way our enthusiastic but doomed PBI in the trenches did

To the best of their abilities

If I hear that twat dancing to the DM tune again I'll tell him where he can stick his cod-inspirational speeches

The kiddies in Afghanistan and Iraq did OK too........perhaps social norms have changed since his 'Thin Red Lines' days?

Last edited:
Same way the drunken misogynistic twats of BAOR did
Same way the reluctant soldiers of National Service Days did
Same way the outnumbered and under-equipped D-Day dodgers and Normandy tourists did
Same way our enthusiastic but hopeless PBI in the trenches did

To the best of their abilities

If I hear that twat dancing to the DM tune again I'll tell him where he can stick his cod inspirational speeches

The kiddies in Afghanistan and Iraq did OK too.......
But the politicians DID NOT

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Is there any detail to go along with this story? What did we leave behind?
Mmm, not sure what's out there, but it certainly happened, otherwise I owe the MOD four Snatches that I helped push in to the river at Basrah Palace!

There was a load of kit left, dumped and of course destroyed, so this was just a small part of it. We had a pile of M1 batteries for surveillance kit. Each one cost three figures, but were heavy. During the drawn down back to the COB we were ordered to blow them up rather than bring them back due to space / weight etc. Couple of thousand pounds went on fire spectacular well.

That's fairly standard though, the vehicles, maybe not so much.

Agreed. And lacking the time and investment necessary to increase our defence capability. That is, if we are in a period of weakness, we should be taking steps to increase our preparedness now.
The is military in the UK, unlike the US, ,is not viewed as a source of jobs. In the US, it is a major employer and a major source of jobs which is a very good thing for the economy and for politics. In UK politics the military is seen as a huge drain on finances and is where people go looking when they need some money for something else.

We won't be fixing our pitifully small military until something happens to NATO or a major and unavoidable threat attacks us, not before.

Our carriers are going to be sunk if they are every used against a peer military force as we simply do not have the means to defend them. The only thing we will be using those carriers for is as a floating airfield for asymmetric operations. This leaves us with our nuclear deterrent, cant use that so what else do we have? A division that can be deployed in 6 months (I can't actually recall the deployment time but it is a long time)

Returning to topic, the social problem that we are observing within the army extends across society as a whole. Internet, youtube, online gaming and snowflake politics have affected everything. Kid´s dont go out and play in the woods anymore, they dont run around outside playing army or 40/40. They sit inside all days staring at screens.

Young soldiers will do the same if allowed to. I think PAYD is a terrible idea, as if a bunch of 18 years olds know how to eat a balanced diet. In the days of cook houses being the main source of food, if it had been noticed that there were fat cnuts everywhere in a unit, the menu could be adjusted as could the quantities being served. Nutrition could be changed and rebalanced, there are options if people have to eat in the cook house.

Recruitment is particularly difficult at the moment not only because it has been a predictable failure in outsourcing which wont continue for too much longer i think. It is a problem because in the past, people would join up because they had a mate who joined up and came back and told them all about it or they had a brother who was in. The army was part of our culture and everyone knew somebody who was serving or had served and word of mouth about the stories, the adventure, the laughs, the travels, the birds, the money. All that talk was worth it´s weight in gold when it came to recruiting and all the recruitment office NCO´s had to do was try to convince everyone to join the infantry instead of the trad they wanted. Guys had already decided that they wanted to join.

Now we have such a small army, nobody knows anyone who is in anymore and it is not really talked about in social circles. Since Herric ended...with mixed opinions on the outcome, what is left of the army represents a diversity fest with low pay and poor conditions. It takes a year to get in, take a look at the threads from those youngsters trying to join on here, it´s embarrassing. I remember it taking about 8 weeks from taking the barb test when i joined. A year is a long time to wait for what is basically a low paid, shitty job and plenty of people have time to back out before their time comes.

The only way out of this mess is to treat the Forces as a major employer to deal with our unemployment issues. That means opening up the forces to all the jobs that have been outsourced, expanding the teeth arms so that we might stand a chance at some sustained, high-intensity, expeditionary operations (at least 3 simultaneously - think Iraq + Afghan + Natural Disaster or South China Sea problem) ontop of routine standing operations (national defence, exercises to deter the Russians, training BATUS etc...).

The defence budget will have to increase but we can take a million people off the unemployment stats. Obviously, only a hundred thousand or so would go into uniform but think of all the other jobs that would be created in manufacturing and the other supporting industries.

We will soon leave the EU, with no deal, all going well and we must re-establish ourselves as a serious player if this is to become a success story - which it must - if nothing else than to show the EU that they were wrong about us. A larger military is a no brainer and a larger military brings economy of scale and solves problems like recruitment (believe it or not)

Mmm, not sure what's out there, but it certainly happened, otherwise I owe the MOD four Snatches that I helped push in to the river at Basrah Palace!

There was a load of kit left, dumped and of course destroyed, so this was just a small part of it. We had a pile of M1 batteries for surveillance kit. Each one cost three figures, but were heavy. During the drawn down back to the COB we were ordered to blow them up rather than bring them back due to space / weight etc. Couple of thousand pounds went on fire spectacular well.

That's fairly standard though, the vehicles, maybe not so much.
It´s such a shame to be destroying all that kit because it would be cheaper to buy new ones at home than take it back with you. Such a waste.

I recall watching a pallet full of brand new ammo being destroyed and shaking my head...

Has anybody confirmed the status or the lardy cvnt in the article.
Is he regular Army, or some form of hanger on?
It was CAARPS.
The lardy ****** that he is.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It´s such a shame to be destroying all that kit because it would be cheaper to buy new ones at home than take it back with you. Such a waste.

I recall watching a pallet full of brand new ammo being destroyed and shaking my head...
Also partly about risk mitigation don't forget.

Four Snatches in the river is four less potential coffins when you took into account the risk to a road move.

.......good job we never abandoned any kit in Aden, Korea, The Falklands, Malaya etc etc....

Don't dump on the modern boys and girls because you're over 40, the world isn't going to hell in a handcart, the sky's not about to fall-in

Whither are the manly vigor and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt... Town and Country magazine, November 1771
“Young people need models, not critics.” – John Wooden
“Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.” – J. K. Rowling

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E The NAAFI Bar 23
ThunderBox The NAAFI Bar 2
T Photography 120