How can our chubby, drug-addled and right-on Army protect us from our enemies?

In Bluestone one of the squads assigned to help cover had a bloke step on an IED and he lost two toes - they were then christened 'friends of Dorothy' - Toto? They weren't too happy about it.

Aye, well you were in soom bloody Yorkshire slogger outfit where looxereh were common as mook. We int' Corps 'ad to do wit proper disregard of Building Regulations at Aldershot. T'wind whistled through t'rooms because of cracks int' walls there, lad. Us rocks were cooled, like.

(Edit: I've no idea what a Yorkshire infantry fellow sounds like, but for someone who brought a Morgan 4x4 to Depot to bitch about the accommodation is outrageous. You cad).
Block 6 at Templer Bks was crap. I had better accn in NI. I also had better food in NI. Not to mention more amd better shags.

As for who’s idea was PAYD? You lot! Yes you old and bolds who used to complain that you’d paid for Friday night, Saturday and Sunday meals that you weren’t eating cause you were at home, not on camp, and wanted the money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PAYD was similar to BREXIT, we didn’t know what we were getting into. Not that I had a vote but we were eating a greater unit value of food per head as the majority of kitchens factored the no shows in. What was never presented was that we would be getting less food of lower quality.

I can't comment on anyone else's experience from serving the last 20 years but my regiment was a thousand times better in 2012 than it was when I joined in 2000. The trips to the desert made most of the dead wood fall away and guys were happy to be in. The regiment was highly trained and we had good kit and a purpose. sad to hear in such a short time that all that has gone away and we have reverted back to biffs and bull shitters.

Well whatever war it is next we'll have been so conditioned to civvy help we won't be able to do it on our own.

This morning I'm out with the dogs. Just seen a detail of no more than a dozen jog past on their morning PT in combats, boots and daysacks. Handful in high-viz and no less than two civvy "Jack-Wagons" following them. And their morning circuit is never more than 1/2 mile from the camp perimeter. It's as if they expect more than half the group to not complete the loop and clearly no hope of re-configuring the session as "battle PT" to carry the causality back to camp if someone did get hurt...

Well whatever war it is next we'll have been so conditioned to civvy help we won't be able to do it on our own.

This morning I'm out with the dogs. Just seen a detail of no more than a dozen jog past on their morning PT in combats, boots and daysacks. Handful in high-viz and no less than two civvy "Jack-Wagons" following them. And their morning circuit is never more than 1/2 mile from the camp perimeter. It's as if they expect more than half the group to not complete the loop and clearly no hope of re-configuring the session as "battle PT" to carry the causality back to camp if someone did get hurt...
What’s a civvy jack wagon got to do with anything?

.......because according to some of 'the old and bold' the weak who fall by the wayside should be shot in the back of the head to encourage the others - I wonder if they're getting confused with Spata?

What’s a civvy jack wagon got to do with anything?
Prepare to fail, fail to prepare.

Or is it the other way round?

Have a plan B you'll need it, don't and won't ?

1 jack wagon for paras, the other for hats?

Having 2 sounds either the voice of experience or pesimissim - is this for a steely eyed RLC unit?

Prepare to fail, fail to prepare.

Or is it the other way round?

Have a plan B you'll need it, don't and won't ?

1 jack wagon for paras, the other for hats?

Having 2 sounds either the voice of experience or pesimissim - is this for a steely eyed RLC unit?
You have been following the case of STABS dying on selection haven’t you?

You have been following the case of STABS dying on selection haven’t you?
Not quite sure how one equates routine PT for a regular unit ivo their barracks to a specific individual endurance test event in remote and arduous terrain?
I was responding to the speculation on 2 jack wagons (likely minbuses?) rather than the need for medical support.

Probably quoted the wrong post

In Bluestone one of the squads assigned to help cover had a bloke step on an IED and he lost two toes - they were then christened 'friends of Dorothy' - Toto? They weren't too happy about it.

Ah...now I understand...I thought you meant 'friends of Dorothy' in the 'good with colours' sense, which would have been a tad ironic!

But in the sense of black humour, it fits very well! A friend of mine lost his toes in Kuwait; when he got back to QEMH the RAMC doctor was briefed to say the following:

"Right then Sgt XXXXXX, we've stabilised the damage to your foot, now we have to deal with your horrific facial injuries".

Of course he hadn't had any facial injuries, he was just an ugly xxxx.

Not quite sure how one equates routine PT for a regular unit ivo their barracks to a specific individual endurance test event in remote and arduous terrain?
I was responding to the speculation on 2 jack wagons (likely minbuses?) rather than the need for medical support.

Probably quoted the wrong post
Because the regulations around doing PT have all changed. A risk assessment will have been completed. This is likely to have identified the need for transport to the Medcen should someone receive a minor injury. If the PTI doesn’t do that, he’s in the poo, pension impacting poo.

Because the regulations around doing PT have all changed. A risk assessment will have been completed. This is likely to have identified the need for transport to the Medcen should someone receive a minor injury. If the PTI doesn’t do that, he’s in the poo, pension impacting poo.
Yes..... that's always been the case.
Risk Assements, regular WGBT readings and requirments for ETL quals etc etc pre-date the reservist fatality incident by quite a lot

The point the poster was alluding to was re 2 wagons rather than 1, i.e unit either expecting higher injuries than normal, necessitating more seats to be used or unit requiring immediate treatment for any boo-boos incurred, necessitating a shuttle to the Medcen/MRS/whatever, whilst still maintain cover for the activity.

Given he's an ARRSER (i.e. old, arthritic, jumpers for goal posts etc) walking a dog (viz/ditto previous description or a minature breed), it is not likely that he is living in the community of a particularly elite unit ( Para MBUs since disbanded), therefore the observations of medcover possibly in excess of normal

Yes..... that's always been the case.
Risk Assements, regular WGBT readings and requirments for ETL quals etc etc pre-date the reservist fatality incident by quite a lot

The point the poster was alluding to was re 2 wagons rather than 1, i.e unit either expecting higher injuries than normal, necessitating more seats to be used or unit requiring immediate treatment for any boo-boos incurred, necessitating a shuttle to the Medcen/MRS/whatever, whilst still maintain cover for the activity.

Given he's an ARRSER (i.e. old, arthritic, jumpers for goal posts etc) walking a dog (viz/ditto previous description or a minature breed), it is not likely that he is living in the community of a particularly elite unit ( Para MBUs since disbanded), therefore the observations of medcover possibly in excess of normal
One injury can take the jack wagon away, leaving no cover for anyone else.
In this no win, no fee world, who wants to take risks?

indeed, now that the sort of injuries incurred on a weekly march fall within the "platinum ten/golden hour" time frame of response, who wants to take the chance!

Sadly I have to give you a like :(

BTW you comments on idle leadership are nothing new. I took over Stores Pl in the early '80's and at the first round of CR's told a Sgt he couldn't be promoted because the then rules said that he was out of the promotion zone time wise. And had been for 2 years. despite being recommended for promotion on his CR.

The jackshit who I replaced either:
a. Didn't realize (shit leadership) or:
b. Didn't want to give him the bad news (see above).

M&RO as it was at the time never noticed either.

Last edited:
indeed, now that the sort of injuries incurred on a weekly march fall within the "platinum ten/golden hour" time frame of response, who wants to take the chance!
Any injury that is not taken care of immediately, because the PTI chinned of transport could be grounds for a pay out.
Assuming nothing ever happens on basic PT is a great way to answer some very awkward questions when someone creams in.

Perhaps I should clarify a little... My point about two jack wagons was that having more seats than punters seems to imply an excessive expectation of injury/ies. The distance and terrain is hardly taxing for fit young 20/30 year olds (it's a trade training location, not basic) given that I'm over 50 and do much the same route with my dogs most days.

When I was serving our risk assessment would have been "it's 10 mins from camp. If someone gets hurt then go back and get help, leave a few with him to stop it getting worse" there aren't many likely injuries that require such urgent return to camp that a jack wagon has to follow you the whole route.

With such a limp approach to risk in-camp I can't see how soldiers exercise their risk assessment skills to a state where they need to be on ops.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E The NAAFI Bar 23
ThunderBox The NAAFI Bar 2
T Photography 120