How can our chubby, drug-addled and right-on Army protect us from our enemies?

COLONEL TIM COLLINS: How can our chubby, drug-addled and right-on Army protect us from our enemies? | Daily Mail Online

No paywall to bar anyone from reading. Good Daily Mail (or Mail on Sunday) fodder for the outraged classes before Church and a sermon on 'Life is a Cheeseburger' or whatever.

This part is more worrying than much of the rest, in my opinion:
"...an Army ‘guidance note’ has been circulated which, instead of identifying the problem, attempts to silence its officers. Senior Army figures, the note says, ‘have become aware that serving personnel are not following guidance and have demonstrated negative opinions’ about a series of training videos concerning Muslims, LGBT people, and other ‘sensitive’ individuals.

Military superiors, it continues, are ‘increasingly frustrated by the perceived negative impact that serving personnel are having’, warning that anyone who reacts negatively ‘can be dealt with under disciplinary or administrative action as appropriate’.

The message is clear: say nothing about the naked emperor.
"
- Which followed on from the Executive Summary:
"Where once it was a force to be feared and respected, it now prides itself on being liberal, welcoming and all-inclusive. And for this, its senior commanders expect diversity awards, official pats on the back and knighthoods.

At least the secret is now out: our Armed Forces are a shambles."
We continue to dribble on about 'leadership' and 'management' in these columns, but tend (+/-) to miss the very highest elements of the strategic level; those which shape the actual requirement for a defence capability of any sort. Given the weird state of HMF over the past few years, the 'lawfare' treatment of soldiers (but oddly, not the more senior officers), the vast indefensible aircraft carriers, the ludicrous prioritising of identity politics within the ranks etc, I sometimes feel that the whole area of defence is too important for politicians to handle; someone else could surely do a better job. We need a Tsar.

the 'lawfare' treatment of soldiers (but oddly, not the more senior officers)
I think this is precisely the point - by reducing the focus to the lowesr level of operations serves to avoid consideration of higher level incompetence. One only needs to read the Post Tour Reports from 71-72 from Op Banner to see that the full range of inadequacies that underpinned the worst two years in NI amount to grounds for the MOD/UK Gov to accept full liability/culpability and put an end to the witch-hunt.

COLONEL TIM COLLINS: How can our chubby, drug-addled and right-on Army protect us from our enemies? | Daily Mail Online

No paywall to bar anyone from reading. Good Daily Mail (or Mail on Sunday) fodder for the outraged classes before Church and a sermon on 'Life is a Cheeseburger' or whatever.

This part is more worrying than much of the rest, in my opinion:

- Which followed on from the Executive Summary:

We continue to dribble on about 'leadership' and 'management' in these columns, but tend (+/-) to miss the very highest elements of the strategic level; those which shape the actual requirement for a defence capability of any sort. Given the weird state of HMF over the past few years, the 'lawfare' treatment of soldiers (but oddly, not the more senior officers), the vast indefensible aircraft carriers, the ludicrous prioritising of identity politics within the ranks etc, I sometimes feel that the whole area of defence is too important for politicians to handle; someone else could surely do a better job. We need a Tsar.
Tim Collins is Victor Meldrew and I claim my £10.

Not too long ago, the British military was regarded, with some justification, as one of the most effective, battle-ready and fittest fighting forces in the world.

I take it he means before the start of the Iraq war? Or is he pretending that it all went wrong after he fucked off?
The Royal Irish has a fair few biffs hidden away in the QMs/SQMS/MT clearly they only existed after Collins left.

Not too long ago, the British military was regarded, with some justification, as one of the most effective, battle-ready and fittest fighting forces in the world.

I take it he means before the start of the Iraq war? Or is he pretending that it all went wrong after he fucked off?
The Royal Irish has a fair few biffs hidden away in the QMs/SQMS/MT clearly they only existed after Collins left.
Indeed. I was one of said Biffs (albeit it was UDR in my day)

We shall be safe as thanks to Brexit nobody can come here anyway. Apparently

Unless it causes WW3.

I'm sure we have a load of troops who are fit, strong and very good at their job or role and have a professional soldiering attitude. As keen as mustard, full of pride and a credit to their uniform and to all who have served before them.

I don't know how many or who they are though.

At the same time I would not be surprised to hear that we have lived too comfortably for too long and became soft. Decadence is the word.

At the same time the outside world of civilians run by politicians and quangos, noisy minorities, and the PC brigade. Values and standards in civi-street have declined hugely. Drugs, organised crime, low arrest rates, mild sentences, moral decline and so on and on...

I would not be surprised to learn that some troops now feel that, even thought they like their job, civi-street and the politico's aren't worth fighting for. Or something along those lines.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
So to sum up then Troy ' damn country's gorn to the dawgs....pass the port.....harrumph'

Have a virtual Daily Telegraph to rustle :-D

It's interesting, but off topic, that Russia achieved a great weakening of European armed forces by accident, in 1989. If Russia was minded to attack the west, have we recently been weaker?

"How can our chubby, drug-addled and right-on Army protect us from our enemies?"

I think they're supposed to shoot them, but I'm a civvy, what do I know?
You don't know that the new shin splints is mental health issues and if you are a fruitloop then you cant handle weapons.

At the same time I would not be surprised to hear that we have lived too comfortably for too long and became soft. Decadence is the word.
Shit officers are the words.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I still think it all went wrong with the introduction of SLAM.

As mentioned previously, I ******* loved SLAM because I hated having to share a room with six ******* morons, but it led to an almost immediate drop in the concept of a 'team' - people who previously would go to their six or eight man room, chat, laugh and **** about, instead went into their SLAM, shut their door and said goodbye to the world.

You could routinely walk around all the blocks and see or hear no-one, whereas in the old blocks you'd hear talking, shouting, laughing, screaming, crying for help, etc.

That was a big turning point for many a Regiment, the team that was pretty much 24/7 became working hours only, bar a few things such as nights out, etc.

We used to call those "King" this side of the Urals/Balkans, however after the last Civil War which laid the format for an Army (based on a new model), their rather meritocratic commitment to the "Good Ole Cause" put the willies up both whigs and tories, ensuring any future standing army not under civilian control via parliament would be illegal.

So, that's a nearly 330year "Yea, i bloody toldeth thee so"

Last edited:

Them Biffs existed when he was there they were just very busy on the few afternoons these frolics actually went ahead:eek:

Also at the time if one was unlucky enough to see his ass entering thru the camp gates it wasn't a meeting in his office it was a re run on sat morning and if that wasn't the case I must have been serving under a different Col Tim........

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E The NAAFI Bar 23
ThunderBox The NAAFI Bar 2
T Photography 120