How can I strengthen my officer application?

Hi. So I'm a med student currently applying for the bursury scheme to become an army doctor after I graduate. Ive started my application process and have my in person medical soon. The only thing that im really worried about though is showing my commitment when it comes to interview time. I missed this years intake for the university officer training corps as I didn't realise that this was for me until a few months ago. Im really worried that it will disadvantage my application as I know its already quite competitive. So my question is, how can I strengthen my application by showing that I'm commited? Are there any alternatives I could join or things I can do?

Hi. So I'm a med student currently applying for the bursury scheme to become an army doctor after I graduate. Ive started my application process and have my in person medical soon. The only thing that im really worried about though is showing my commitment when it comes to interview time. I missed this years intake for the university officer training corps as I didn't realise that this was for me until a few months ago. Im really worried that it will disadvantage my application as I know its already quite competitive. So my question is, how can I strengthen my application by showing that I'm commited? Are there any alternatives I could join or things I can do?
Look for volunteering opportunities perhaps. Get involved in some of the charitable societies (RAG etc.) or generally get some team building and leadership opportunities under your belt. UOTC might be a good shout as suggested above or your local Army Reserve unit if there is a RAMC (R) unit around the area.

Start thinking about what makes you a good candidate for the job and then think about what you might be lacking. That way you can identify areas to strengthen. That goes for any job really.

Go and speak to the UOTC and explain your position, there may still be an opportunity to join. You won’t be the first.

There are plenty of ways to strengthen your application.

Do not fret about looking amazing on paper - that only gets you so far. What matters is your character. You are already in a very strong position: the Army is desperate for doctors.

My personal advice is to get stuck in to university life. Take @Grim_Squeaker85 advice: broaden your horizons and experiences by trying sports, clubs and societies you haven’t had a go at. Not only will it expand your social life but it will look great on your CV: active and engaged med student keen to take advantage of new experiences and opportunities etc etc.

Do not worry that you have missed this year’s intake. The UOTC offers a particular package. It is not the be all and end all, it is just one of a huge number of options.
My advice is to join your local Army Reserve unit. Choose a role you will enjoy, perhaps not even medical. The best way to proceed is to look up on the Army website units nearby and phone them up. You are not commiting yourself by having a chat. If it sounds good, ask if you can attend a drill night to see what it is like and find out more. If you struggle to get current phone numbers then the UOTC will assist you I am sure.
I would also recommend joining the Reserves as a private soldier rather than officer.
I was in a similar position to you - didn’t get in to the UOTC and thought that the dream was over: if I couldn’t even get into the OTC then Sandhurst would never have me! In second year, I went across the barracks to the Reserve infantry unit. Looking back, it was always the better choice for me. I loved my time in the Reserves and left with a medal and a stripe. Now commissioned in the regulars.

The OTC and AR offer different packages. It really is a case of asking yourself what it is you want to get from the experience.

It is perhaps worth noting that there are also RAF Reserves and RN Reserves. There may also be a University Air Squadron or University Royal Navy Unit. If you’re fit and can manage the time-commitment maybe even lift your sights and have a crack at RMR, 4 PARA or SAS Reserve if they are nearby?
Medicine is an intense degree so if you’re going to do something, use first year where the course is more forgiving on your time and exam results...

Alternatively, if it’s just being in a uniform and getting some life experience then having a look at things like Community First Responder might appeal?

Other advice: sports, volunteering and public speaking will be great for you and for your application. A sport is an easy demonstator of fitness, commitment, teamwork etc. When you complete the ‘AOSB CV’ there is a whole section on volunteering. As for public speaking: join your uni MUN or debating society. All four (Reserves, sports, public speaking and volunteering) combined will give you a very strong application.

If you are worried about the interview, it may be worth asking the UOTC if they can give you advice or assistance. They should certainly be able to email you some copies of various PlanEx’s to practice if you ask nicely. It may also be fruitful to engage with your university’s careers office. Though I never went myself, I know mine ran practice interview workshops which some friends found very helpful.

Whatever you decide, do what you enjoy and give it your all! Keep it all in perspective though: your main effort is your degree.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Latest Threads