How can I prepare for the Assault Course?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by nick_jinks, Jul 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is my first message, so I apologise if I do something silly.

I'm not sure how to prepare for the assault course. Things like the rope climb and wall vault seem quite difficult to prepare for without equipment. What is the best way to prepare, beyond working on general fitness and upper body strength?

Thanks

2. Try this?

3. Find a local climbing centre, attend a few lessions until you discover move like spiderman.

4. That's one of the biggest area's of failure on any assault course.

Keep the pace steady, focus on the obstacle and give it 100%. Don't watch anyone else or worry about their technique. Don't stop and stare at obstacle like a frightened rabbit, you'll lose the momentum and will then either have to back-track to start a run up or attempt it half-heartedly. You'll fall to the ground and sob like a little girl (unless you are a little girl, then I demand photos :pl: )
    Get used to landing on two feet (sounds simple but a one-footed landing going wrong can **** you up for life) and also landing properly without the puff knocked out of you will give you the oomph to hit the next obstacle with gusto.

Alternatively, scrape your hands along a brick wall until their sore, smash your shins on a low fence and jar your back as you see fit. It'll simulate any assault course in the world :nod:

5. <>Alternatively, scrape your hands along a brick wall until their sore, smash your shins on a low fence and jar your back as you see fit. It'll simulate any assault course in the world

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Mr Deputy, the problem I have is a lack of equipment. I can't exactly hang a climbing rope from a tree in the park.

Can anyone else help?

6. NYUM NYUM, upper body strength = Pussers pull ups

The royalty of body weight exercises. Man up and get some cracked

7. Scrapped hands aside, my answer was serious. Did you see the subtle differences with the pargraphs?

There's no magic answer to assualt courses apart from general fitness, uppper body strength and how to land properly. Find a 6' wall and climb over it regularly. Repeat with a rope somehwere. The location and accessibility are issues for you to solve, you're the potential officer after all.

If you want experience an assault course, then stick your hand in your pocket and participate in Tough Guy, you still have a week or so before entries close. It'll give you an idea of what it's like to attempt a shitty obstacle whilst you're chinned.

Tough Guy - The Safest Most Dangerous Event in the World!

8. Believe it or not, that's precisely what I used to do. My childhood was spent nicking boundary ropes from cricket pitches to make Tarzan swings and death slides, climbing up trees and over walls, jumping ditches and running away from the victims of my scrumping sprees.
    How did you spend your childhood? If it was in front of a TV/computer screen, you're going to struggle.

9. To the top GEW!!

10. you could always jump about the climbing frames at the local park, there is a massive climbing web and pirate ship frame behing the Shopping Center in Wandsworth, if you happen to be in London. I would imagine similar can be found outside the M25 too.
    Probably best to avoid trying to talk to the children or wearing a long coat, parents take a dim view of that.

11. HHH

HHH LE

Become a burglar !!
    But not a good one, then you'll get all the practise you need getting over obstacles as you leg it from the cops !!

12. You don't need to be able to climb a rope in the traditional fashion. Without giving anything away, a bit of grizz will get you on to the platform. You'll work it out when you're there.