How can I make the best of a Career in the Signals as a CS Engineer?

NialF

Old-Salt
I've passed selection so I'm off to Phase 1 soon, followed by Phase 2 to train as a CS Engineer. I hear a lot of people talk about 'getting back what you put in'. And taking advantage of every opportunity given to you.

So I know it's probably answered somewhere in the pages and pages of threads, but what specifically should I do? I've heard about Class 3-1 or something and going to Uni after a couple of years, but I can't find any specifics on that, even on the official (shite) army website.

My goal in the army is to climb the ranks and gain the most (useful) qualifications, perhaps even try to commission later on? I guess I'd just like to know the best path to a fruitful career, any tips or sarcastic comments welcome, cheers in advance!

Once your training is done (1st hurdle) just enjoy it. Get on as many courses/attachments as possible and then after a few years if your up for it look at an in-service degree.

Best of luck chap. Spent 9 years with the corps and enjoyed most of it

NialF

Old-Salt
Once your training is done (1st hurdle) just enjoy it. Get on as many courses/attachments as possible and then after a few years if your up for it look at an in-service degree.

Best of luck chap. Spent 9 years with the corps and enjoyed most of it
Thanks, and that's re-assuring. Can I ask what made you leave after 9 years?

He was probably sick to death of lining up generators in straight lines. (though I'd still recommend everyone do a few years as they'll be some of the best years of your life).

Last edited:

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
He'd harvested all that was available from the Trailer of Wisdom and had mastered iron-fu and the Advanced Ninja Polishing Course.

Actually, I suspect he flipped the coin - FoS or not FoS and took the civvy option.

He'd harvested all that was available from the Trailer of Wisdom and had mastered iron-fu and the Advanced Ninja Polishing Course.

Actually, I suspect he flipped the coin - FoS or not FoS and took the civvy option.
I resemble that remark :)

Mrs fell preggers and was tired from back to back tours. Wanted a change.

Now a ninja train driver on more money than i tbought an oik like meself would ever earn