how can i find out how far 1.5 miles is???

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JstJake, Jun 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i'm doing my running in woodland.....and i can't think of a way to find out how far 1.5 miles is...i tried how many steps in 20 meters then basicly 'add up' to 2000ish...but it all seems a bit hit and miss...i tried maps as well, but to no i just don't know how far it is?

any advice?
  2. Get a piece of paracord 1.5 miles and 6 feet long.

Tie one end of it to a tree at your start point (takes 3 foot of paracord), the other end round your waist (another 3 foot) then run until you are jerked over backwards and find yourself sitting on your arrse in a bosky glade somewhere. You will then know you have run 1.5 miles.

If this doesn't appeal, borrow a GPS from someone.
  3. If you use a step counter and know how long your stride is you can get a rough estimate of distance. I've used this method quite a lot in the past, and usually get a result within 200 metres of the actual distance travelled.

Alternatively measure your route on Google Earth, or a similar service.
  4. Use a pedometer.
  5. 2.41395km. There, never say ARSSE doesn't help.
  6. Buy a map.
  7. Nick a Landrover and drive it through the forest....
  8. paceing it is probably the easiest method, used by hillwalkers, usually about 64-67 paces per 100metres on flat, if u want to get accurate for hills etc, i use a 50m rope lay on slope and pace it as your paces will be smaller.(start on right foot and count every time left foot hits ground) I presume its not showing as a path on the map?
  9. This is so simple a solution that there has to be a flaw to it, but it's hot and sweaty and I'm damned if I can see the wood for the trees!

10. I'm not knocking the idea just the accuracy. Within 200 metres is up to +- approx. 12.5% inaccurate, a 7 minute miler could be actually running closer to 6 mins or 8 mins using this method ineffectively which is a drastic gap.

I would suggest going to a 400m running track, taking a stop watch, pen and paper. A metric mile is 1609 metres but we'll ignore the 9 metres and concentrate on the complete 4 laps.

Begin stop watch and start running. At the completion of each 400m take a time split but do not look at it. At the end of the mile stop the watch, write down splits and mile time. Splits can be +- 1 or 2 seconds. If too far out do the exercise again. In fact there is no harm in doing it several times anyway. Ensure you do not speed up at end of final lap, even paced running is the key. Once you are happy with your pace judgement you are ready for the next stage.

Let's say your average mile for steady running is 7:30. When you run make a mark (or remember a significant marker, i.e. post, gate, tree etc.) every mile, so 7:30, 15:00, 22:30, 30:00 and so on. If you are ever in any doubt to your accuracy you can always return to the track. BTW, if content with accuracy, whenever doing a speed session in the forrest you will have accurate markers to run against. Good luck.
  11. Run as fast as you can. If you are knocking on a bit or a bit of a fatty stop after about 11 minutes. If more of a racing snake stop after 9. This is about 1.5 miles.
  12. Clownbasher!!!!!!!!!! I love the 'manic' method too - well done!!
  13. All of the above have errors, some of them significant. Even the paracord solution doesn't allow for stretch, so you could over measure by up to about 15%. Of course, if you're training at 1.7 miles, then being tested at 1.5 miles will be a doddle.

If you really want to set up an accurate course, then hire (or buy) a surveyor's wheel. Then you'll get an accurate measure regardless of terrain.

£13 a day to hire, £30 to buy or you may find that your unit has one.
  14. I've used the method when running over rough, or mixed terrain. I know my stride length on roads, but running through woodland, or on sand can play hell with accurately judging pace length, as can weather conditions. I have a route where I run on tarmac, then along a beach, a bit more tarmac, then finish off with a mile or so through the woods.

Using my pedometer in winter, I got a result of around 6.3km, in summer 6.45, and yesterday I measured it by satellite and it's 6.5 exactly. Not bad in my opinion.
  15. Putteeinmyhands, I think the paracord method was a wind up! It was not suggested by RetardJohn so it was not BS, maybe just a larf!