How can i find my fathers regiment number

Im trying to find out information of this man please its very important
When you say "my fathers regiment number", do you mean the Engineer Regiment he served with or his Army number?

His Army number is 24900058 as it reads on his grave stone. If you mean the Regiment/s he served with then you may be able to get a copy of his service record from here. Get a copy of military service records

Tyk

LE
Service personnel and vets agency
Having worked for SPVA they can be slow and they have form for screwing up some stuff for serving personnel, but they have a very large body of records, with the name and Service number you have they should be able to get the information. May require proof of your ID and familial relationship.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I would have expected a Google search of name and date to throw up something, especially as it appears to be an official headstone.

I would have expected a Google search of name and date to throw up something, especially as it appears to be an official headstone.
I've had a quick look, and curiously it doesn't.

I had a look at the commonwealth graves site, nothing came up so Im assuming he didnt die on operations.

I googled the date and name and nothing came up.

I looked up a roll of honour from the Engineers and nothing came up (Only saw the EOD roll).

So Im giving up.

Not sure if @FourZeroCharlie can help?
Sadly, no: it's too modern for any detailed military background.

@stacker1 has done most of what can be reasonably done with a 'modern' death in service: anything more would have to be carried out either by a blood relative or as a request under FOI Act.

There is a Family Tree thread on Ancestry but with little visible (the date of death is incorrect as someone has taken the quarterly Death Index publication date and assumed that it is Date of Death).

Here's an image of the chap:

1571492855010.png

historicus

Swinger
For post 1945 casualties you need to look at the Armed Forces Memorial Roll of Honour. Special teams were set up by the MoD in the late 1990's to record post WW2 deaths. For some reason ARRSE is not letting me post the links but if you Google ' Search the Armed Forces Memorial Roll of Honour' you will find it easily. Sapper Old does have an entry on there.

As mentioned above, further research would need to be done via a request to Army Personnel Centre by the next of kin.

For post 1945 casualties you need to look at the Armed Forces Memorial Roll of Honour. Special teams were set up by the MoD in the late 1990's to record post WW2 deaths. For some reason ARRSE is not letting me post the links but if you Google ' Search the Armed Forces Memorial Roll of Honour' you will find it easily. Sapper Old does have an entry on there.

As mentioned above, further research would need to be done via a request to Army Personnel Centre by the next of kin.

THE ROLL OF HONOUR - PERSONAL DETAILS

Back to search
Printable Certificate(Low-res - 520kb)
Printable Certificate(Hi-res - 1.28MB)
Surname​
OLD
Forenames/Initials​
John
Rank​
Spr
Service​
Army
Service Number​
Regiment/Corps​
RE
Date of Birth16 September 1965
Age24
Date of Death​
01 September 1990
Cemetery NameAldershot Garrison Cemetery
Grave SectionLM
Grave Number​
LM 20
Headstone/Markerstone​
Included on Armed Forces MemorialNo
Included on Roll of HonourYes

ACAB

LE

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I had a look at the commonwealth graves site, nothing came up so Im assuming he didnt die on operations.

I googled the date and name and nothing came up.

I looked up a roll of honour from the Engineers and nothing came up (Only saw the EOD roll).

So Im giving up.
So what your saying is, he’s not gen:???:

Johnold

Crow
Sadly, no: it's too modern for any detailed military background.

@stacker1 has done most of what can be reasonably done with a 'modern' death in service: anything more would have to be carried out either by a blood relative or as a request under FOI Act.

There is a Family Tree thread on Ancestry but with little visible (the date of death is incorrect as someone has taken the quarterly Death Index publication date and assumed that it is Date of Death).

Here's an image of the chap:

View attachment 423956
Yeah thats my dad

Latest Threads