How can i fail my medical on the basis of that can i appeal?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Jemma, Nov 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone im looking for some help and guidance please, i recently went for my medical for the TA and passed vision, hearing, height, weight ect... when it came to past medical history i suffered a bout of depression when i was 13 (young, stupid, teenager, hormones springs to mind) i had 1 incident of self harm and for this purpose and that of deprerssion which is well over 10 years ago i was failed to my horror.... i was wondering if i have cause for appeal or if there is anythig what so ever i can do i no life isnt fair and all but to be failed on that it just seems stupid so if anyone can help/advise please do it will be much appreciated.

By the way it was the TA i applied for but have been informed that the medical is the same throughout. Any help is much appreciated thankyou.
    jemma x x x :cry:

2. You can appeal, but I doubt you'll be granted it. Sorry. They will be looking for mental health tendancies - if you've had them in the past it's more likely you'll get them again in the future. Not something they want to risk happening whilst on ops.

3. I would appeal, you never know.

4. Go and see your GP , sit down, discuss this. If they feel there is no threat, and you haven't been prescribed for years , then get a letter stating that.

Then go to appeal. No point going to appeal, if your GP fills in the forms with "mad as a box of very mad frogs"

So get the medical opinion first then go from there.

I am not sure how this part works, and someone better clued in the paper chain can answer this, Are Med interviews kept when a candidate is failed preattestation?

5. A friend of mine who went to join the TA applied with exactly the same kind of medical history as you, Jemma. He was failed like you, but they eventually gave him go ahead after what I think was a letter from his GP saying he was fine. He was never put on any medication for his brief depression in his early teens, and he told me that helped his cause. I'm obviously not going to ask you if you were on any medication for your case, but if you were dont let that stop you from appealing either, it's definatley worth a shot from my knowledge.

So, my advice is keep the contact up with your chosen unit and go and see your GP about the situation

6. If it's more than 3 years ago, and your doctor is willing to sign to say there is no risk of it now and it was a one off, then you have grounds to appeal. Especially if you were never prescribed any medication for it. I know of people that have passed medicals on that basis with very similar circumstances.

Talk to your doctor first and take it from there. Good luck.

7. In which I retract my first post on the grounds that I was accidentally talking b*llocks. :D

Good luck.

8. I wouldn't want to serve with you. I was in Iraq when one of the squadron had an FMed 8 episode and it wasn't pretty. In fact we had two nutters who fell apart during the tour, at least one of whom had been seen by the loony doctors before.

And don't think I'm being nasty. If you couldn't handle the pressure as a 13 year old, imaging how an intense, 6 month tour of Afghanistan would make you feel.

9. Except there is a medical reason why some people need help as a teenager as a one-off and it does resolve. Just because some people were hormonal at a young age doesn't mean they can't take it later on. Some actually handle pressure better as they know what works and what doesn't when it comes to dealing with it, as they've been through sh1t before.

I can understand where you're coming from, Interceptor, but it's not always that black and white. If people get in to the forces, they deserve to be there, even if it is on appeal.

10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You've not been in long, have you? :roll:

11. 2 1/2 years, I think that's irrelevant. I realise there are exceptions, but in this case if the appeal is successful then good luck to Jemma - she is clearly determined and I don't think a silly mistake as a teenager should stop her getting in if an appeal deems it so. Just my humble opinion :)

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

1. She has a history of mental instability. If the MO decides to let her in, then fair enough. Please excuse me if I don't jump for joy at yet another unstable emotional wreck attempting to join up.

2. 2 1/2 years, most of which will have been in training surrounded by other keen (ish) recruits and potential officers. Spend a few years looking at the wider army and see if you can honestly say that everyone in the army deserves to be there.

13. i attended a recent recruiting seminar and this subject came up. you are absolutely correct.

you must provide evidence that the condition no longer affects you, the same as any other "injury" or illness and this requires a letter from your GP. As soon as this is forthcoming there should be no barrier to your enlistment.

what a load of bollocks. ANYONE can have an "episode" as you put it. i have served with men with no history of mental illness who have suffered breakdowns in theatre and at home. with men like you around i pity the poor fcukers who may have needed your help or support in your squadron. God help you if your one of them in the future.

many of you are making presumptions of her condition as a teenager. i happen to work with teenagers and know many mainly girls who need temporary support for depression. As i said its a temporary condition and doesnt mean it will come back. How many times have you been depressed as an adult? as a teenager you are more likely to tell someone and get "treatment" as an adult you tend to try to deal with it and more often than not it passes as it has done here.

14. Mental instability as a teenager doesn't have to mean being more prone to mental illness as an adult. As a persons body changes from a child's to an adult's there are many things that can cause temporary mental problems that naturally go away once the body stabilises.

A 2nd opinion is worth seeking as she may be no more prone to mental illness now than any other person.

15. Strange, i was a screwed up teenager, had a serious bout fo depression for whatever reason from the age of 16 to 19. Never found out why but during that time i visited many nut houses, got prescribed god knows what, self harmed yadda yadda. I'm 30 now and have never had depression since. How i was as a teenageer is all included in my medical file but i passed medical without an issue last year?