How Britain can respect our Servicemen and women!

From the Torygraph online..........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/02/12/do1202.xml

Taken from the article:
The power of uniform............

It distinguishes friend from foe, camouflages the soldier from enemy observation, attracts the opposite sex. Critically, it reinforces the soldier's pride - the pride that makes him act not by his worst, if entirely human, instincts, but in the highest traditions of his profession.
An interesting article indeed by Allan Mallinson and interesting comments by readers.

He includes a mention of the OTCs:
...universities not letting the OTC into freshers' fairs...
but, in the case I witnessed, it was a student body that organised the freshers fair and placed the ban on the OTC. All that happened was that the OTC set up their Light Gun outside the entrance, nabbed everyone that looked vaguely interested and came away with a record bag of potential recruits.

Served the self-important, lentil-scoffing, right-on twats right.

stickybomb said:
He includes a mention of the OTCs:
...universities not letting the OTC into freshers' fairs...
but, in the case I witnessed, it was a student body that organised the freshers fair and placed the ban on the OTC. All that happened was that the OTC set up their Light Gun outside the entrance, nabbed everyone that looked vaguely interested and came away with a record bag of potential recruits.

Served the self-important, lentil-scoffing, right-on twats right.
That's about right, the freshers fairs are organised by the Students Union, not the University. It was an arguement over eiligibility to join for LGB types. We were banned at Southampton as well, but did a similar move and parked a 4 tonner and landy outside and recruited there.

Next year the MOD changed the rules to allow 'differently sexually attracted' persons into the forces so we were allowed back in, although they did stick us next to the LGB stand..!!!

S_R

I remember walking into the fresher's fair 15 years ago and the first thing I saw was the fittest blonde I'd ever seen, in uniform, directing people to the OTC stand. I've always wondered if she was a ringer.

When I was at uni I remember an urban myth about an OTC being banned from the freshers fayre by all the lefty LGB types. All the OTC bods joined the LGB society and threatened to vote them out of existence in perpetuity if they didn't let them back in.

Made me chuckle!

At one Uni the OTC turned up at the AGM en masse and voted through ammendments banning the LGB :)

Mongoose said:
Im suprised he even knows what an OTC is..
I think you would be surprised how many people in civvi strasse have actually been in the OTC in their Uni days.

You can't deny he has a point though. As much as I personally would be highly embarressed by applauds in airports and I would refuse a first class seat given up by another paying customer.

I would like to see the government set the example by showing pride in their armed forces. By all means a bit more cash in the bank is nice, and a discounted days out with the family is spiffing. However I think the real gestures would be re-opening a military hospital. Offering better schemes for service leavers to get "Good - well paid" jobs.

An Infantry Senior NCO is a manager of 20+ people. Some business owners have much less than that and no experience in administrating their workers out of office hours.

An RMP has a good working knowledge of enforcing laws (Mil/Civ different but similar).

A CMT 1 should be able to pretty much walk into a Paramedics job (Obviously after testing). Instead of the current grief a friend of mine is having.

There are many more examples but I wont harp on!

Mongoose said:
I think Brigadier Mallinson is quite likely to know what an OTC is. I am more surprised that as a Lighty officer he knows what a "uniform" is...

(chinstrap, check, OHP check, 58 pattern mug with brew, check...INCOMING!)

Cuddles said:
Mongoose said:
I think Brigadier Mallinson is quite likely to know what an OTC is. I am more surprised that as a Lighty officer he knows what a "uniform" is...

(chinstrap, check, OHP check, 58 pattern mug with brew, check...INCOMING!)
Damn your eyes Sir, damn your eyes! :wink:

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
An illustration of the whole UK vs US respect thing...

Checking out the MOD discounts site the other day, numerous US theme parks etc give free entrance (via a dedicated military entrance) to serving military plus three dependants.

Uk? 5% off.

untallguy

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bad_Crow said:
As much as I personally would be highly embarrassed by applauds in airports and I would refuse a first class seat given up by another paying customer.
Having been on the receiving end of this (at a US airport), it is both embarassing and gratifying at the same time! The thought of it taking place in a UK airport makes my head hurt - I just don't see it taking place.

Bad_Crow said:
An Infantry Senior NCO is a manager of 20+ people. Some business owners have much less than that and no experience in administrating their workers out of office hours.
Could just imagine a McDonalds manager sorting out the admin in the back of the kitchen whilst carrying a 10% reserve of Big Macs, Fries and Shakes!!! :p

The Americans have respect for their troops as, generally, they have a strong sense of patriotism and the fact they are the global good guys.

The sense of patriotism and 'britishness' in this country is slowly dying off with the flow of controlled (ha!) immigration. Walk through a UK airport in green kit? Most likely outcome would be some bearded lefty telling you to get changed in case you offend the other passengers! :x

1. Desist from engaging in quasi-legal and unpopular wars.

2. Appoint a Secretary of State for Defence.

3. Pay them properly.

4. Equip them properly.

5. House and feed them properly (married and single).

6. Vote into power a government wherein at least ONE man or woman shall have undergone Service.

6. Dream on.

PS: I forgot - never ever again have a prime minister who refers to:

HM Majesty's Armed Forces, as:

'.......my armed forces......'

T.Bliar.

I didnt get any applause but I did get a lot of admiring glances and smiles of thanks when I was visting Norfolk Naval base (specifically the PX..) and people stopped to talk to me, I did explain to them that I was (at that time, although it hasnt changed much now heh) quite possibly the least important person in the world but they were still more than happy to offer thanks and respect.

It really does make you think, in this country you're more likely to get a punch off some idiot yob that thinks they're hard than anything else...Its a deep engrained train of thought in America and sadly I don't think we'll ever see the likes of it over here, although it does appear to be becoming more 'fashionable' to show support for the troops these days

How about starting to respect the country itself. In the US, the national and state flags are flown all over the place all the time. No one worries about offending foreigners by it. So we should make it law for the Union Flag and the appropriate National Flag to be flown over all public buildings.

chocolate_frog said:
Bad_Crow said:
Could just imagine a McDonalds manager sorting out the admin in the back of the kitchen whilst carrying a 10% reserve of Big Macs, Fries and Shakes!!! :p
Insisting that all Cups of sprite be filled to the brim, but Straws be issued on a one for one swap basis!

REgards said:
The Americans have respect for their troops as, generally, they have a strong sense of patriotism and the fact they are the global good guys.

The sense of patriotism and 'britishness' in this country is slowly dying off with the flow of controlled (ha!) immigration. Walk through a UK airport in green kit? Most likely outcome would be some bearded lefty telling you to get changed in case you offend the other passengers! :x
What has that got to do wit hth eprice of eggs? America has a much bigger problem with both legal and illegal immigration that we do (so bad the are planning a wall across the south) and yet they still have a sense of national spirit.

I'm not one for getting the Kids to salute the flag each morning it would be nice to see the union flag about more. Put it infront of schools, hopitals on top of public buildings. If anyone is offended just tell them they are entilited to be offended, that freedom is what the flag represents. It's not much but it might be a start.