Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how bone is your missus.

NSP

LE
The bombs aren’t really the problem, ferrous casings make them easy to find, it’s the 750kg German aluminium mines that cause us problems. For the ferrous stuff we just use magnetometers stand alone or in arrays. For the aluminium stuff we have had to change the game completely and use the same systems that are used to map the sub-seabed and find oil/gas.
Not to mention that late-war LMB casings were made of what amounted to posh cardboard.

We use this mounted on an ROV:-

NSP

LE
That looks like a development of the pipe tracker we used along with profilers. Makes sense I suppose. It was over 20 years ago.
The Pangeo rig is acoustic. The pipetracker I am used to is basically a giant beachcomber's metal detector.

3-Panther.jpg

We binned profilers ages ago when compact dual-head MBES transducers appeared.

NSP

LE
It’s not a lot more than an expensive pipe tracker, fine for “shallow” targets.
Not really interested in anything deeper than 3m below bottom for trenching the transmission cables. I imagine you need something a bit more "penetrating" where you want to bang the piles in, mind.

That said, the acoustic jobbie was the cleint's "go to" last year to go and clear the 500m radius around each Prinses Amalia turbine to bring a jack-up in to change out the rotors. I guess you don't need to go that deep for spudcans, either.

Well this is beyond bone, this is plain stupidity.
One of my tractors is very old ,in good condition and very collectable. I am always asked if I want to sell it ,
I regard it as a very tidy bit of cash should it be needed, there have been a couple of attempts to steal it.
Mrs WW has been at sometime in the past been involved in security type stuff saving us from the naughty folk that wish to do us harm, and opsec / persec aware.

Then why the fuckty **** does she join a face book thing and then tell some complete stranger the details of this tractor , AND WHERE WE ******* WELL ARE !

I am a tad annoyed
Chain her to the tractor. Best worse case is they nick the tractor and don't bring any bolt cutters with them to cut the chain.

If you follow my train of thought.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Mines, bombs, rockets, shells, small arms ammo - the coastal waters of northern Europe are littered with the stuff.
Wasn't the deep trench between Northern Ireland and Scotland where Boris wants to build his bridge also used as a dumping ground post-WWII? That would be a tricky clearance job I would think.

TBGB

Old-Salt
And kids, that and leaving doors open in winter and closing them in summer.
Mate tell me about it. We have damp issues in the bathroom. I open the Windows to get a bit of a draft. Return to find the windows shut as she doesn't want them open as it may get dusty or insects may get in (we live in Dubai). Then proceed to moan about the damp.
Aslo complains that the ac isn't working. I point out that it's set to a higher temp than the ambient air temperature (at night) and that it's working as a heater when that happens. Apparently science is optional when making decisions about what is broken/not working.

NSP

LE
Wasn't the deep trench between Northern Ireland and Scotland where Boris wants to build his bridge also used as a dumping ground post-WWII? That would be a tricky clearance job I would think.
Yes - but not likely to build a windfarm in such a place!

Latest Threads