how bone is your missus.

NSP

LE
Please explain the bit about the controls?
[Sigh]

In this country we put the controls in front of the driver. On the Continent for some odd reason they insist on putting them in front of the passenger.

It's not rocket science, this one...

A friend's missus got rid of all the scatter cushions, when she walked in and found her dog humping one and realised what the mysterious stains that she kept finding were.
There's a plan. Spaff on the scatter cushions and blame her friends and family.

[Sigh]

In this country we put the controls in front of the driver. On the Continent for some odd reason they insist on putting them in front of the passenger.

It's not rocket science, this one...
Now I'm intrigued. You mention "the controls" but what, exactly, controls do you mean?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Now I'm intrigued. You mention "the controls" but what, exactly, controls do you mean?
RHD vs LHD.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

RHD vs LHD.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
Depending on what is meant by "controls", wouldn't they be in front of the driver regardless of whether it is RHD or LHD?

Depending on what is meant by "controls", wouldn't they be in front of the driver regardless of whether it is RHD or LHD?
I think you need to reset your humour chip

Controls are on the opposite side ergo in front of (what should be) the passengers seat

As evidenced by the number of times ive got in and wondered what twats nicked the steering wheel

NSP

LE
I think you need to reset your humour chip

Controls are on the opposite side ergo in front of (what should be) the passengers seat

As evidenced by the number of times ive got in and wondered what twats nicked the steering wheel
Indeed. Here in Britain we drive on the correct side of the road, as do several other former colonial territories (plus Japan). Everyone else drives on the wrong side of the road.

Until the American Revolution even Europe drove/rode on the left. Then the bitter, twisted and shiny new Septics decided that as most of their wagon drivers were right-handed and their wagons so large that they had six of sometimes eight horses it was easier to steer and see around the team at the same time if the driver of the team (hence, "teamster") sat on the left of the wagon with the reins in his right hand. In order to see clearly to avoid hitting wagons coming the other way on the narrow roads they drove on the right to see down the left side of the team (the side nearest the oncoming team) from their seated position optimised for controlling the team right-handed. Plus it was another thing in the eye of the British.

Having been over there to help them slap us Jean Frenchman took the notion back to Boney who then imposed it on France and any other country he invaded (most of Europe and a big stretch of Russia) and it stuck.

Everyone rode on the left because the majority right-handed population of the world would then have their sword hand at the advance towards any oncoming riders who might prove to be wrong'uns.

In modern times, driving on the left is safer than the right because most of us are still right-handed and in a head-to-head situation right-handed people tend to pull on the wheel such that the vehicle veers left. If you drive on the left you're heading back to your own carriageway and the verge/hedge/embankment. If you drive on the right and are right-handed you're heading further into oncoming traffic/the central reservation/the oncoming traffic lanes.

Which could prove to be a teensy bit unfortunate.

Last edited:

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Indeed. Here in Britain we drive on the correct side of the road, as do several other former colonial territories (plus Japan). Everyone else drives on the wrong side of the road.

Until the American Revolution even Europe drove/rode on the left. Then the bitter, twisted and shiny new Septics decided that as most of their wagon drivers were right-handed and their wagons so large that they had six of sometimes eight horses it was easier to steer and see around the team at the same time if the driver of the team (hence, "teamster") sat on the left of the wagon with the reins in his right hand. In order to see clearly to avoid hitting wagons coming the other way on the narrow roads they drove on the right to see down the left side of the team (the side nearest the oncoming team) from their seated position optimised for controlling the team right-handed. Plus it was another thing in the eye of the British.

Having been over there to help them slap us Jean Frenchman took the notion back to Boney who then imposed it on France and any other country he invaded (most of Europe and a big stretch of Russia) and it stuck.

Everyone rode on the left because the majority right-handed population of the world would then have their sword hand at the advance towards any oncoming riders who might prove to be wrong'uns.

In modern times, driving on the left is safer than the right because most of us are still right-handed and in a head-to-head situation right-handed people tend to pull on the wheel such that the vehicle veers left. If you drive on the left you're heading back to your own carriageway and the verge/hedge/embankment. If you drive on the right you're heading further into on coming traffic/the central reservation/the oncoming traffic lanes.

Some things never change, *cough* Anne Sacoolas.

You realise this s a FALSE arguement . . . and the reasons you list, are equally appropriate if the "colonials" remained seated where they should have been on the right-hand side . . and, to drive on the left.

Note: Most . . . infact ALL of the . . . "western" films I have seen, do show the "driver" seated where they should have been on the right-hand side . . and, driving on the left.

Having been over there to help them slap us (the UK), Jean Frenchman took the notion back to Boney who then imposed it on France and any other country he invaded (most of Europe and a big stretch of Russia) and it stuck.
Pah!!

Given the choice, if you were charging at another mounted swordsman . . . you think you would do so on the RIGHT, to gain some protection with your shield?!

Note: Most . . . infact ALL of the . . . "knights-in-armour" films I have seen WHEN THE ARE JOUSTING(?), do show them on the RIGHT, to gain some protection with their shield form the opponent's LANCE ?!

In modern times, driving on the left is safer . . . because most of us are still right-handed . . . .
. . . and, when the car is stationary, it makes it more convenient for us right-handers, to "interact" with your female passenger !! ;) .

. . . and in a head-to-head situation right-handed people tend to pull on the wheel such that the vehicle veers left. If you drive on the left you're heading back to your own carriageway and the verge/hedge/embankment. If you drive on the right you're heading further into on coming traffic/the central reservation/the oncoming traffic lanes.

I have NO IDEA what all that last bit is trying to explain :( !!

J.H.C. . . . we must ALL BE BORED, writing/typing/reading this . . . ;) .

Last edited:

Until the American Revolution even Europe drove/rode on the left.
As I understood it everyone passed on the left -

It changed in France owing to the revolution - Napoleon imposed this on everyone else in Europe

In fact the reason many ex empire countries do it may be because they weren't colonised by other Europeans rather than they were colonised by the UK - so they weren't forced to change.

The US changed post war simply to be contrary and demonstrate how different they are.

Ireland proposed moving all cars to the right side a few years back but it didn't prove popular -

It has in fact been raised again recently by the EU - with the suggestion that this time Trucks vans and motorcycle swap as well.

Last edited:
You'd be welcome, mate.

Obviously as a sassenach, I'm not too familiar with the Scottish canals, but I'd be happy to help.
The two main lowland ones are designed for cruisers barges and widebeams, shortest lock on the F&C is 63ft and min clearance over the waterline on the system is 9ft10. But a lot of the berths are narrow boats only.

The two main lowland ones are designed for cruisers barges and widebeams, shortest lock on the F&C is 63ft and min clearance over the waterline on the system is 9ft10. But a lot of the berths are narrow boats only.
And you will need a berth. I believe they don't allow continuous cruisers on the Scottish canals. Nowt wrong with narrow vessels, you just find new ways of stowing stuff.

And you will need a berth. I believe they don't allow continuous cruisers on the Scottish canals. Nowt wrong with narrow vessels, you just find new ways of stowing stuff.
There's a couple of berths in places that would suit me and more being set up all the time.

NSP

LE
Note: Most . . . infact ALL of the . . . "knights-in-armour" films I have seen WHEN THE ARE JOUSTING(?), do show them on the RIGHT, to gain some protection with their shield form the opponent's LANCE ?!
You know a Lance is a lot longer than a sword, right.. ?

And that films are make-believe.

Tyk

LE
You know a Lance is a lot longer than a sword, right.. ?

And that films are make-believe.
To be fair, humping a lance about while not in a battle situation is fairly unlikely, while just travelling up a road having a shield on your arm is a stretch of the imagination too, it would either be hanging off the saddle or pack animals.
Sword on the other hand was standard kit worn and potentially deployed so being on the left would be a good thing.

I agree with you the right of the vehicle is where the driver should be and on occasion I've got into rental cars only to get out and go to where some mong put the steering wheel.