• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

How Blair and Brown betrayed our troops - Serialisation in the Sunday Telegraph

Ashie; fancy a holiday in Switzerland?

I'll pay for a all-expenses paid luxury trip for you to the land of toblerone and clocks; fantastic resort. 5 star accommodation. Welcome fondue in your room. Place is called Dignitas. You'd like it.

Ashie; fancy a holiday in Switzerland?

I'll pay for a all-expenses paid luxury trip for you to the land of toblerone and clocks; fantastic resort. 5 star accommodation. Welcome fondue in your room. Place is called Dignitas. You'd like it.

Ill happily book a seat behind him on the flight just to fluff his pillow for him if it sweetens the deal.

I've not heard too much about our Future Rapid Effects System for a while. How is it progessing nowadays? Is there any truth that The Top Brass held out for FRES,

General says Army nearly 'seized up' with too many missions - Home News, UK - The Independent

General Dannatt also strongly criticised the failure to find a replacement for the lightly armoured Snatch Land Rovers which proved highly vulnerable in Iraq and Afghanistan.
"It remains unsatisfactory that it is only now that we have closed with the issue," he said. "We worked round the problem, we didn't actually confront the problem."
He said that a programme to acquire a new family of armoured vehicles known as the Future Rapid Effects System (Fres) had fallen victim to "internal machinations" within the Ministry of Defence,
Treasury threatens to cut £35bn of defence projects - Times Online

The Army could be the biggest loser as the Treasury is thought to be unhappy with Future Rapid Effects System (FRES), a £14 billion project for up to 3,000 armoured vehicles. The Treasury is understood to favour buying a replacement off the shelf, possibly from a US company, rather than have the UK develop its own.

I did my own sums, and I reckon that is about
£4 666 666.67 per Wagon.

Call me Mr Stupid, but I think that is a bit expensive, perhaps we could buy something cheaper made by our EU partners, hopefully they will have an ex government minister on board, who could advise them about The MODS need to be seen to be doing something, and provide a vehicle that's slightly better/slightly worse than a Snatch.

I think Blair and Brown can handle any criticism from the discredited Tory Dannatt.
The only discredited ones are Blair and Brown, Dannatt is not working for the government (Tory or otherwise) and is perfectly entitled to write his memoirs after a long and distinguished career.

Ashie why not **** off back under that stone you crawled out from under, tosser!

Didn't Brown himself admit that due to inflation the defence budget had not increased majorly in any real terms? Kinda blows Ed Balls statement out of the water.

B

Biscuits_AB

Sounds like everybody has a book to plug nowadays. We all know what a shower of shit Labour were, so why the **** do we need to be constantly reminded of the fact. Let's just wait and see what the current incumbents have in store. Pound to a pinch of shit that there'll be just as much, if not more, moaning after October. Politicians? *****, one and all.

Sounds like everybody has a book to plug nowadays. We all know what a shower of shit Labour were, so why the **** do we need to be constantly reminded of the fact. Let's just wait and see what the current incumbents have in store. Pound to a pinch of shit that there'll be just as much, if not more, moaning after October. Politicians? *****, one and all.
:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

Didn't Brown himself admit that due to inflation the defence budget had not increased majorly in any real terms? Kinda blows Ed Balls statement out of the water.
From the Mail: Pressure mounts on Brown to return to the Chilcot inquiry after admitting defence cash WAS cut

Gordon Brown is under more pressure to return to the Chilcot inquiry today after he was forced into an humiliating admission that he had slashed defence spending while British troops were at war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The Prime Minister told MPs he had been wrong to tell the Iraq Inquiry that defence spending under Labour was 'rising in real terms every year'.

A spokesman for the Chilcot inquiry said it was possible Mr Brown might be recalled to clarify his evidence in person.
Mr Brown admitted official figures showed spending had fallen in real terms 'in one or two years'.
In fact a damning research paper produced by the House of Commons library shows defence spending fell in real terms in four years when Mr Brown was Chancellor, including two when Britain was at war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The budget did rise in real (cash) terms over the entirety of the Labour Government but it had to because of the operational commitments. However Ed Balls is talking arse by saying that the increase was after inflation. That is not true as he well knows, hence his qualifying "I think". Brown Mk. 2.

Actually, a considerable percentage of the voting population doesn't know what a shower of poo the New Labour gang, or their successors, the New New Labour bunch were and are; people who read the Guardian would actually prefer one of those creatures currently scratching for the 'leadership' of the party to any Conservative or Liberal PM. Astonishing, really.

However, I do believe that Dannatt is about to have his reputation comprehensively trashed, unless he can gear up to defend himself as he has never done before. There are more spinners out there searching for the right words to do him down than ever there were when he made the mistake of jumping into bed with the Tories prematurely.

However, I do believe that Dannatt is about to have his reputation comprehensively trashed, unless he can gear up to defend himself as he has never done before. There are more spinners out there searching for the right words to do him down than ever there were when he made the mistake of jumping into bed with the Tories prematurely.
Many Nu Liarbour lackeys have already tried that and ended up looking like complete cnuts! I think this book is a good thing, as it will shed light onto the decision making of the Nu Liarbour government. Perhaps it should serve as a warning to the current government to make proper military decisions, using the advice given by the CDS and CGS - in other words the experts, and not politically expedient decisions, which look good on the world stage - for a total of 5 minutes.

Extract Waterstones Book Synopsis

"More than any leader in recent times, General Dannatt has used his position of command to argue for improved pay and conditions for British soldiers, a greater dialogue between the army and the country, the right equipment for the troops to do the job asked of them, and greater welfare and support back home for the wounded."

That's a more compelling argument for buying a copy than all the pantomime and salacious gossip surrounding the rest of the crop of biographies this summer.

B

Latest Threads