How big is my Bergan?

Maybe, one of the (admittedly rare) still serving could do a search on the NSN ?

Just a thought.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Yep, 150 litres, 180 with additional three PLCE pouches

150 litres to 180 litres with the pouches as above (twice now)

I've an 'old' DPM Airborne issue bergan.

View attachment 479612

I remember the PLCE bergans with rocket packs came to 120L

I can see online the new airborne MTP bergans are 150L

But I can't find the capacity for mine +3 pouches.

Anyone recall or have a link.
On my screen it’s about 4 inches square.

Hope this helps.

Luxury !

We never had boots we had to paint our feet black.
Luxury!

They used to regularly gives me black eyes and try knocking my teeth out.

For tactical reasons they said.

You're just being silly now, you know that the water will leak out. You need something that won't leak out, like blackcurrant jelly.
Have you thought the logistics of this through?
jelly is very runny when you make it, are you going to let it partially set before pouring it in?
do you have a fridge big enough to help it set?
how are you going to empty the berghan of jelly? I'd just set it between my kids and give them a spoon each. 180 litres of the stuff should be gone in about an hour

I've had a horrible thought, what if by 'jelly' you are referring to some ghastly American product?

Have you thought the logistics of this through?
jelly is very runny when you make it, are you going to let it partially set before pouring it in?
do you have a fridge big enough to help it set?
how are you going to empty the berghan of jelly? I'd just set it between my kids and give them a spoon each. 180 litres of the stuff should be gone in about an hour

I've had a horrible thought, what if by 'jelly' you are referring to some ghastly American product?

Morning @theoriginalphantom,
Or even 'KY'.:oops:

In_Twists

Clanker
couldnt we have saved the piss taking until I'd got the correct answer??
Looky looky:

The definitive bergen of the 70s and 80s, made in the UK by the MoD contractor of the day. Butyl nylon coated material stitched together to be almost bomb-proof. Mounted on a steel frame with quick release shoulder straps.
Everything made to exceptional standards of over construction.The large bergen was made for elite SAS units and carried 125 litres of kit.

The material is water-resistant although a bergen liner is recommended.

The bergen as issued was not particularly comfortable for very long duration due to not having a waist belt to distribute the weight on the hips, but using a quick release belt from the Marines arctic bergen dramatically helps in making this an all day bergen

A few issues with this write up
1. Its Bergan not Bergen, after Bergans of Norway surely?
2. Over construction. Hmm...plastic coating on frame peeling, rust forms on release clips.
3. A Royals' quick release belt? Now that statements a gift...:p

Latest Threads