How are TA soldiers looked upon by Regs?

Hi all,

Hope I've got right section this time if not apologies!

My question is: how are TA soldiers looked upon and viewed by regular soldiers and how well are they accepted?

You know when it's a really bone thread because even the sock puppets don't join in to rip the OP a new one.

I understand that most regular soldiers are respectful of our educational qualifications, and the prodigious skills we are able to acquire over 27 days.

Z

Zarathustra

I'll risk it and give you a serious answer before the fun starts. In my experience (as a regular) if you take pride in your appearance and personal fitness and you put the effort into your training and get good at whatever trade you choose then you should get along alright if/when you get attached to a regular unit.

Of course you'll always get the stab jokes/banter etc just learn to take it on the chin.

If you are below the age of 30 the TA are alright as you joined at some point after the middle east kicked off and you knew you were going to war. If you are older than that you joined when it was all cushdy and have hung around beiung "enablers" for those below you and despite wearing sgts stripes you havent actually run down a battle lane on an exercise let alone done a tour in role so your probably shit.

there are a few exceptions but they exist to show the mediocrity of the rest, One that springs to mind arrived at Bn to be met by the OC as an old friend having done more tours than the csm and all of it at the teeth end having dodged the admin roles that plague the regs.

My last operational tour was LODESTAR in Bosnia, so while I can't speak with confidence for today, 2011, I can say that anybody who has their head screwed on will know that a goodly majority of the people putting them back together/keeping them alive after injury ARE TA/Reserve. Boils down to that old argument about slagging off the medics, but calling out for them first when you've been shot...
It boils down to the old argument of wanting the very best person doing the job. If you're part-time your ability will always be called into question.

Fair one that pillager.

Well I'm ex service so not like I've avoided or dodged anything really, looking into TA at moment due to newborns and what would be a huge financial blow/cut if I go back full time.

Decisions, decisions!! B

Do it, youll fly if youre good and considering the Gareths so beloved by 5Alpha et al You'll be marked apart. If the newborns dont stop you wanting to deploy then why wouldnt you.

The question you then want to ask is how do the TA look at ex-regs, but only you know how theyl react to you so I shant suppose anyhting.

Cheers pillager :) much appreciated! Obviously by the time came to deploy (which I've been advised would be well into 2912) then the newborn would be pushing 2yrs, commitment wise I'm all good no worries there.

If only it was easy!! Big issue for me is as soon as I start I'll be hungry for full time (regs).

Anyway thanks again!

Cheers all.