How are people joining army with higher bmi perceived?

For context its not a medical question but a am I going to get beasted a lot more than others during training.

Bmi of 32 with waist measurement of 96cm is acceptable. I currently have a bmi of 35 with a waist measurement of 96cm.

I would be applying at bmi of 32 just to get the ball rolling but want to make selection for 31.

For running side 2 miles is about my limit taking 16minutes atm. Weightlifting side of things singles of bench/100kg, squat/140kg and deadlift/180kg. All job choices will be reme and I'll be 25 by time selection will come around.

Mercilessly ripped by all their more athletic colleagues with photos being posted to FYB :wink:

I had my BMI done at the weekend, weight wise (13 stone) I'm classed as at high risk, however my waist measurement is 91cm and I have very little fat on me as I do put the work in at the gym as well as cycling a lot. if you're a big lad but not fat and can do your mile and a half in under 10:30 then you'll be fine.

Fitness - British Army

Played rugby for 15 years so getting ripped to pieces isn't a bother. For reme acceptable is 14 minutes for the mile and half at selection my aim is 10ish minutes if their quick with my app but if slow my aim 9ish minutes. Want to have a respectable time as I'd probably be amongst the older guys at 25 during selection.

Don’t worry about your size, concentrate on your fitness. The fitter you are the easier Army life will be. The REME may accept 14mins for selection but if you’re coming in at 13:59 requiring oxygen you’re going to have real problems later on.

Played rugby for 15 years so getting ripped to pieces isn't a bother. For reme acceptable is 14 minutes for the mile and half at selection my aim is 10ish minutes if their quick with my app but if slow my aim 9ish minutes. Want to have a respectable time as I'd probably be amongst the older guys at 25 during selection.
Don't worry about being older, at 25 you should have no dramas! I'm only a STAB but did my selection at 33 years old, my run time on selection was 9:55 and that put me well ahead of most of the intake, a lot of whom were younger than me and should have been faster. Just keep up with your running and strength training and you'll find selection easy. Obviously don't slack off after selection either as you'll have it all to do again once you start training.

BMI is a load of old tosh. While you may to comply with the figures i'd concentrate on the phys & actually getting fit/fitter than some number that means chuff all.

if you're a big lad but not fat and can do your mile and a half in under 10:30 then you'll be fine.
If you're a big lad and you're just scraping through a mile and a half in just under 10.30, then lose some weight and you'll do it a lot quicker and avoid a failure (and the humiliation of fat boys PT at some ungodly hour in the morning).

An 'easy' way to get quicker is to lose weight.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The question isn't about your BMI. As stated, BMI isn't be all and end all. If you pass your assessments, you'll be fine.

Consider that if you're excessively tall, you're noticeable; excessively short, ditto; fat, ditto; skinny, ditto; ginger (thanks, genes), four eyed (thanks again), regional accent (√) ditto. Racing snake or tortoise (but passing your assessments), ditto.

In fact it you're none of the above, YOU'RE the odd one out.

Everyone is different and everyone can expect to have the p!ss ripped. The only people who are going to have a problem are those who take this badly and those who struggle.

You have an advantage as a big lad in that there will be easier targets for the hunt. Just remember, however, that it could be you. So don't get involved in that sh!t unless it's to make known that you're not involved.

If your 'fat' and unfit expect to get beasted. If you 'fat' and fit expect to get beasted.

Serious answer. Doesn't matter what size you are, don't be the Duty Biff and you'll be ok.

If you're a big lad and you're just scraping through a mile and a half in just under 10.30, then lose some weight and you'll do it a lot quicker and avoid a failure (and the humiliation of fat boys PT at some ungodly hour in the morning).

An 'easy' way to get quicker is to lose weight.
I was that big lad and while I did a lot of endurance lacked the speed for the test.

I found a route where I could run 1.5 miles without interuption (not as easy as sounds but it was also mildly uphill which helped) when I ran it I would jog a 20 minute route to the start and about the same for the return to home. The 1.5 miles was best effort.

My daily running pace atm is 11.40 for a mile and half not exactly pushing it but aiming to run 2.5 miles in under 20 minutes then I'll end up increasing speed.

My doctor told me reason for my bmi to be relatively high is my arms is 3inch longer, legs 2inch longer and my bone density is very high whilst just being average in height.

I was worried because the army seems to have a hard on for a bmi score but not care about the relative body composition of recruits.

To alion yes I've got the ginger and the specs aswell.

Than the average for my height. I've run 5 miles before but anything over 2.5 miles than my mile times slips to 10 minutes miles.

Fat bstards don't get beasted more than anyone else.

It's just going to feel that way.

You fat bstard.
Its the fit lads who get beasted having to turn back all the time on the runs/tabs to let the fat bastards rejoin the squad,

My daily running pace atm is 11.40 for a mile and half not exactly pushing it but aiming to run 2.5 miles in under 20 minutes then I'll end up increasing speed.

My doctor told me reason for my bmi to be relatively high is my arms is 3inch longer, legs 2inch longer and my bone density is very high whilst just being average in height.

I was worried because the army seems to have a hard on for a bmi score but not care about the relative body composition of recruits.

To alion yes I've got the ginger and the specs aswell.
11.40 for 1.5 miles?

You sound like a real fat cnut, but you'll be right at home in the RLC.

Considering dan ive lost 7 stone in the last 6.5 months I'd consider it good going that I've got my mile and half to 11:40 atm with another 18lbs to lose to make the weight.

Looking at reme not rlc but I'd reason their be the same calibre of fitness standards. Endurance wise if you ask me to lift weights all day I'm fine but I've never found cardio exciting like the vast amount of the population.