How accurate is Contact (1985)?

As it happens I ended up in IBM by a string of accidents. In the 6th Form, 1971, we spent a term of Wednesday sport afternoons playing with some Heath Robinson computer at Sunderland Poly. As we left for the last time, I told my mucker they were very clever, but they'd never catch on

In 78 another mucker invited me adventure training at Kiel on yachts with the Paymaster. Instant rapport with Paymaster and yachts. He tried to headhunt me. I fucked him off.

Two years later on my Linguist course, the Int Corps tried to headhunt me. Another year later, Paymaster had introduced me to Zero Alpha and I'd decided I was getting bored in recce. Int Corps or RAPC? I decided if was married, RAPC made more sense.

Twice did ADP Aptitude in RAPC, never told I'd passed. End of tour, 1985, "posting preferences?" Well if I can't do Computer Centre, how about Cost and Management Accounting? (Well they'd started asking the stupid questions.) They posted me to the Computer Centre.

Left in 89. I got into mainframe consultancy. 97, in another rut, I'd accepted a job at HQ Sainsbury near the OXO tower. I got a call inviting me to work at IBM Hursley, 9 miles from home. No brainer.

It's a sh¡t life.
It seems you were a bit of a gentleman ranker Alien. Got to the sixth form and all.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
It seems you were a bit of a gentleman ranker Alien. Got to the sixth form and all.
Failed RCB 1974 (travelled home through Birmingham day of the Birmingham pub bombing).

Obviously a Sunderland coal miner's son didn't have the right accent (or income) for a cavalry officers' mess.

But I didn't (in the 70s) want a desk job in the army, and I'd rather not carry my weapon into battle if it could carry me).

Edit. Idiot careers teacher talked me mum out of signing me up for Welbeck. Grr.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

Oyibo

LE
Failed RCB 1974 (travelled home through Birmingham day of the Birmingham pub bombing).

Obviously a Sunderland coal miner's son didn't have the right accent (or income) for a cavalry officers' mess.

But I didn't (in the 70s) want a desk job in the army, and I'd rather not carry my weapon into battle if it could carry me).

Edit. Idiot careers teacher talked me mum out of signing me up for Welbeck. Grr.

I failed my (first) RCB as well. Luckily a Col Charles (IIRC) who was President of the Board or some such wrote to my CO giving a mild bollocking for not preparing me well enough. I got a Reg C pass on my second attempt.

I consider it to be akin to Nigel Mansell who failed his first driving test.

An epic fail though was that they were wearing DPM Para smocks and combat trousers where in 1976 they were still wearing the incredibly ally Dennison smocks and OG's. I would delete five points or more just for that.
Contact was made in 1985 , so I am guessing it was set in at least the 80's , hence the DPM?
Given the trouble they went to make everything else realistic , raiding the costume department from the Wild Geese for the Dennison smocks would have been no trouble ?

Contact was made in 1985 , so I am guessing it was set in at least the 80's , hence the DPM?
Given the trouble they went to make everything else realistic , raiding the costume department from the Wild Geese for the Dennison smocks would have been no trouble ?
Nope. It was based on 3PARA’s tour Apr-Aug ‘76. I got my first DPM smock mid ‘77.

Latest Threads