How accurate is Contact (1985)?

Again, after my time, but not one of our finest moments.
It was a tragic episode that resulted in the killing of two innocent men (one, whose throat was slit from ear to ear and stabbed 17 times, was nothing more than a Civil Rights activist). The incident also destroyed reputations and careers - up to the extent attributable to the 'rotton eggs' explanation. The story about how they were caught is quite weird, however.

One of the four people (directly involved), had left the army and, in May 1978, contacted the police, anonymously at first, and told them he thought he knew the identity of the 'Yorkshire Ripper'. He gave the police the names of two serving soldiers from the A & SH together with an overview of what had happened in South Armagh on 23 October 1972. He was persuaded to reveal his identity and was promptly arrested and sent back to NI for questioning and then held on remand in Crumlin Road prison.

When the matter came to trial the informant was sentenced to four years for withholding information, but released almost immediately due to time served. The two senior NCOs were given life sentences. Two others, the informant, a junior NCO at the time, and a junior officer admitted lesser charges regarding withholding information.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
We had pretty much the same set up, however for some reason our Battery head shed always chucked everyone into the pot as sooned as we were warned for ops and then manned the multiples from the pot. Consequently it was only by luck if you ended up in a team with someone from your day to day troop.
I never understood the logic, but they did it every time.
Similar for Omagh, we needed squadrons of six troops, one of which was commanded by a SSgt because there weren't enough officers (see previous) to cover 53% of the border.

Returned to Tidworth prior to UNFICYP, where we'd again operationally need six troops. So in Tidworth we kept five troops of 3 Scorpion instead of four times four, and a GW Troop on Ferrets.

Not as complex as the Recce regiment OrBat we adopted next, involving two medium squadrons of four times four, one per task force covering the divisional front, and (the complex bit) a close recce squadron of five troops of eight attached one troop each to divisional battlegroups.

Similar for Omagh, we needed squadrons of six troops, one of which was commanded by a SSgt because there weren't enough officers (see previous) to cover 53% of the border.

Returned to Tidworth prior to UNFICYP, where we'd again operationally need six troops. So in Tidworth we kept five troops of 3 Scorpion instead of four times four, and a GW Troop on Ferrets.

Not as complex as the Recce regiment OrBat we adopted next, involving two medium squadrons of four times four, one per task force covering the divisional front, and (the complex bit) a close recce squadron of five troops of eight attached one troop each to divisional battlegroups.
You all had 'O' Level maths then :cool:

QRK2

LE
When I was in the States I used to do that but it seemed to confuse the guards, who would always flood the front on the car with maglights and fixed spotlights.

I recall on one occasion on the mainland a briefing for something, I can't recall whether a (potential) real task or an ex, that we were to pay special attention to any vehicle that dimmed their lights as they approached as the habit indicated that the driver was used to NI practices.

Where did the ones not selected go to? Were they evenly distributed across the rest of the Scottish Infantry Division battalions?

There’s a good link or two for you to learn more about a infantry regiment downsizing

Outwith the thread
here’s some links for Singapore for@par avion

Proff3RTR

War Hero
In JLR RE at Dover when I joined in 1971 you were classed as a 'Rookie' for a year and a day. This was in the days when JL's was two years. When I went to Gib Barracks in 1980 where adult RE recruits did what is now called phase 1 and phase 2 but was then 1&3 Training Regiments RE recruits were referred to as 'mongs' by the instructors.
I think the term ‘mong’ was used quit a lot, during my stint at depot we were referred to as tubes & spakers quite a lot, and that was a good day. I had t9 seal crawl around the central island at RAC depot Catterick for piling in on a locker inspection, by the time I had done my first circuit (of 5 & that fcuking island was huge, 3 massive blocks on it) I had lost count if the times I had been called an abortion gone wrong, turbo Mong (still use that today, one of my faves) and the endearing oxygen thief, among other things. Of course by that stage I was just a blubbering sweaty mess and could not of given a fcuk what they sadistic Cav wnakers were calling me (QRIH were RAC Trg Regt at the time). Our Tp Ldr used to call us creatures, why? Simple, as far as he was concerned that’s all we would ever amount to…….I think he ad something there.

I think the term ‘mong’ was used quit a lot, during my stint at depot we were referred to as tubes & spakers quite a lot, and that was a good day. I had t9 seal crawl around the central island at RAC depot Catterick for piling in on a locker inspection, by the time I had done my first circuit (of 5 & that fcuking island was huge, 3 massive blocks on it) I had lost count if the times I had been called an abortion gone wrong, turbo Mong (still use that today, one of my faves) and the endearing oxygen thief, among other things. Of course by that stage I was just a blubbering sweaty mess and could not of given a fcuk what they sadistic Cav wnakers were calling me (QRIH were RAC Trg Regt at the time). Our Tp Ldr used to call us creatures, why? Simple, as far as he was concerned that’s all we would ever amount to…….I think he ad something there.
We were definitely 'mongs' at Woolwich in 1989.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
We were definitely 'mongs' at Woolwich in 1989.
I remember when we had our fist full drill morning with our DI Sgt, We were al stood bloody freezing on that drill square (Catterick in December is NOT warm) and he rolls on to the drill square, comes to what can only be called an immaculate halt and screams ‘ right you bunch of ugly cuts, fcuk off and say hello to the for corners of my drill square, and while your at it say sorry for soiling the drill square with your shagging horrible faces!’ This was all said in a very Regimental voice and with out any slip ups, I do not know about the rest of the intake, but I was impressed, so much so he made me and a few others do it all again, but this time with our SMG’s above our heads, which made us look like a right bunch of dicks.

I remember when we had our fist full drill morning with our DI Sgt, We were al stood bloody freezing on that drill square (Catterick in December is NOT warm) and he rolls on to the drill square, comes to what can only be called an immaculate halt and screams ‘ right you bunch of ugly cuts, fcuk off and say hello to the for corners of my drill square, and while your at it say sorry for soiling the drill square with your shagging horrible faces!’ This was all said in a very Regimental voice and with out any slip ups, I do not know about the rest of the intake, but I was impressed, so much so he made me and a few others do it all again, but this time with our SMG’s above our heads, which made us look like a right bunch of dicks.
Catterick in July is not warm.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Catterick in July is not warm.
Fair point there mucka, I was there from Nov-June so yep, at least we had scorpions to go to in trade training every Saturday night, used to get a bit warm in there………

Slime

LE
Quick confession, and apologies if someone else has already said this.

I had a quick skim of the thread title and mistakenly thought the thread was asking if the 1997 film Contact was accurate.

Oh well, when you do something that stupid it’s always best to share it :)

You all had 'O' Level maths then :cool:
@AlienFTM was the only one who understood the orbat. Thats why he transfered to the RAPC and ended up in the computer centre at Worthy Down. Anyone working in computers in the seventies and eighties was regarded as being equivelent to a Brain Surgeon or Nuclear Scientist to the average squaddy of that time.

@AlienFTM was the only one who understood the orbat. Thats why he transfered to the RAPC and ended up in the computer centre at Worthy Down. Anyone working in computers in the seventies and eighties was regarded as being equivelent to a Brain Surgeon or Nuclear Scientist to the average squaddy of that time.
I can understand that as it happens. I got into computers almost by accident - my future wife bought me one because they were fashionable and I thought I had better learn to use it. Jump forward about four years and I had collected every PC magazine and found that most of the things that went wrong or I wanted to know about were addressed in the readers letters.

Shortly afterward I went overseas on contract work and took a laptop with me. I was the only guy in the place who had one..........so, they put me in charge of the IT Department, sent me to Kansas on a course and the rest is history. A few years later I was tasked with producing a functional specification for a general hospital IT system for administration and all medical and clinical specialties as well as Nursing. Took me two years to do the work and get everyone on board............the system was purchased for something in excess of $30m............as far as I know, it still works.

But, I know a girl/woman who was RAPC at Worthy Down and I have absolutely no doubt she could wipe the floor with me when it came to Computers and cleverness.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I can understand that as it happens. I got into computers almost by accident - my future wife bought me one because they were fashionable and I thought I had better learn to use it. Jump forward about four years and I had collected every PC magazine and found that most of the things that went wrong or I wanted to know about were addressed in the readers letters.

Shortly afterward I went overseas on contract work and took a laptop with me. I was the only guy in the place who had one..........so, they put me in charge of the IT Department, sent me to Kansas on a course and the rest is history. A few years later I was tasked with producing a functional specification for a general hospital IT system for administration and all medical and clinical specialties as well as Nursing. Took me two years to do the work and get everyone on board............the system was purchased for something in excess of $30m............as far as I know, it still works.

But, I know a girl/woman who was RAPC at Worthy Down and I have absolutely no doubt she could wipe the floor with me when it came to Computers and cleverness.
As it happens I ended up in IBM by a string of accidents. In the 6th Form, 1971, we spent a term of Wednesday sport afternoons playing with some Heath Robinson computer at Sunderland Poly. As we left for the last time, I told my mucker they were very clever, but they'd never catch on

In 78 another mucker invited me adventure training at Kiel on yachts with the Paymaster. Instant rapport with Paymaster and yachts. He tried to headhunt me. I fucked him off.

Two years later on my Linguist course, the Int Corps tried to headhunt me. Another year later, Paymaster had introduced me to Zero Alpha and I'd decided I was getting bored in recce. Int Corps or RAPC? I decided if was married, RAPC made more sense.

Twice did ADP Aptitude in RAPC, never told I'd passed. End of tour, 1985, "posting preferences?" Well if I can't do Computer Centre, how about Cost and Management Accounting? (Well they'd started asking the stupid questions.) They posted me to the Computer Centre.

Left in 89. I got into mainframe consultancy. 97, in another rut, I'd accepted a job at HQ Sainsbury near the OXO tower. I got a call inviting me to work at IBM Hursley, 9 miles from home. No brainer.

It's a sh¡t life.

As it happens I ended up in IBM by a string of accidents. In the 6th Form, 1971, we spent a term of Wednesday sport afternoons playing with some Heath Robinson computer at Sunderland Poly. As we left for the last time, I told my mucker they were very clever, but they'd never catch on

In 78 another mucker invited me adventure training at Kiel on yachts with the Paymaster. Instant rapport with Paymaster and yachts. He tried to headhunt me. I fucked him off.

Two years later on my Linguist course, the Int Corps tried to headhunt me. Another year later, Paymaster had introduced me to Zero Alpha and I'd decided I was getting bored in recce. Int Corps or RAPC? I decided if was married, RAPC made more sense.

Twice did ADP Aptitude in RAPC, never told I'd passed. End of tour, 1985, "posting preferences?" Well if I can't do Computer Centre, how about Cost and Management Accounting? (Well they'd started asking the stupid questions.) They posted me to the Computer Centre.

Left in 89. I got into mainframe consultancy. 97, in another rut, I'd accepted a job at HQ Sainsbury near the OXO tower. I got a call inviting me to work at IBM Hursley, 9 miles from home. No brainer.

It's a sh¡t life.
The girl I mentioned had the worst facial disfiguration I have ever seen. Yet she was the most confident beautiful character. Went on to be quite a high flier.

Latest Threads