Housing - Married Quarters

Hi everyone,

I have recently applied to join the army reserves, in the hope I will enjoy it pass selection and all other training and if all goes to plan join the regulars.

A big issue I am currently faced with is housing, at the moment I live with my girlfriend and her parents and her brother, I was wondering what the terms and conditions are of married quarters?

Do you have to be married?

Do you have to have children etc...

Is the accommodation any good?

Thank you for your time,

Goblin

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Hi everyone,

I have recently applied to join the army reserves, in the hope I will enjoy it pass selection and all other training and if all goes to plan join the regulars.

A big issue I am currently faced with is housing, at the moment I live with my girlfriend and her parents and her brother, I was wondering what the terms and conditions are of married quarters?

Thank you for your time,

Goblin
In the reserves?

You can only have married quarters if you are in the regulars, but to answer your questions
Yes
No
No
Correction.
You do not have to be married, (not just marriages and civil partnerships), but also single parents with primary responsibility for children
(They haven't been Married Quarters for years, but are Service Families Accommodation)

It's also not impossible for a reservist or other non regulars to get SFA. But only in certain circumstances
JSP 464 Chapter 10 Annex A shows the whole list of entitlement & eligibility, which is a very long list detailing whether someone could get SFA, who they are behind on the priority list and whether they would pay subsidised or full market rent

To be entitled to apply for SFA, service personnel must:

• be aged 18 and over
  • be married or in a civil partnership or who have permanent custody of children
  • have at least 6 months to serve

0305. TA and Reservist Personnel. TA and reservist personnel are entitled to SFA only when they have entered into Full Time Reserve Service – Full Commitment (FTRS-FC). Housing staffs who are in doubt of the status of TA and Reservist applicants for SFA are to verify FTRS-FC status with the appropriate single Service sponsor. Entitlement to SFA exists for FTRS-FC service in excess of 6 months and lasts for the duration of full time service. Appointment to a Non-Regular Permanent Staff (NRPS) position carries no entitlement to the provision of Service accommodation and NRPS are expected to make their own domestic accommodation arrangements. There are very limited exceptional circumstances where short-term provision of SLA may be granted.