Housing for ex service personel and PERSEC

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by very-old-git, Feb 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could someone give me some advice as to this problem.

I am a caseworker for the RBL in Huddersfield and have just taken on a new client who needs larger and better located accommodation. He is an ex infantryman 27, with 10 years service, Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan, a broken marriage ( with a child), a house repossessed, a wound from an AK round, suffers from PTSD and was discharged on medical grounds - cancer. He has considerable debt ( likely to go bankrupt), lives in a small flat with his partner (the flat is a private tenancy) and he has to sleep on the settee in the lounge because they cannot get a double bed or two single beds in the bedroom - nor wardrobe or other furniture. His partner is his carer so she sleeps on the single bed upstairs.

The local council have refused to help because it is their belief that he has 'adequate accommodation' and the only place he could be offered is in a council flat on the 8th floor of a nearby tower block. This tower block is the 'sink' estate for asylum seekers - significant numbers of drug dealers and Afghani, Iraqi and other immigrants. He already has been verbally attacked by a wide range of people from the flats (he lives opposite) and has been told by the housing dept that if he refuses to accept a flat in the block even on the grounds of difficult mobility/access or 'persec', he will not be offered any further council accommodation. He has also been told that his request for a flat away from an area where there are significant Afghani/ Iraqi populations is 'racist' - even on the grounds of 'persec and PTSD is unacceptable and they would not condone such a request.

HELP please -- where can I go to find alternative accommodation or a case to lever a flat from the council?
  2. Sounds like this council needs flattening with C4. Followed swiftly by the more of the same to the block of flats. Why do those in positions of authority in this country continually do everything in their power to drag Britain even lower than it already is? The worst thing about this is that I'm not even outraged any more, it's all happening too often.

Best of luck, hope this lad gets back on his feet soon.
  3. VOG, have you Pm'ed MDN and Old Baldy?
  4. Try "Write to Them" web site and get your local MP involved and give the story to your local paper, TV station, Radio ect, even try the SUN as a last resort also inform the police about the abuse realy pile it on , if you throw enough crap somone will notice
  5. And that's going to help his persec a lot isn't it?

Local MP on board and take it from there.
  6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

VOG - incoming PM. :wink:
  7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

In contact by PM with VOG.
  8. His Persec is already gone tits up, the job in hand is to get him out of that shite hole, I have helped in similar cases around here and it's worked
  9. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

VOG has comms with MDN