Household Cavalry

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Harry515, Jun 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. looking around ARRSE and on the Household Cavalry website there seems, to me at least, to be a contradictions...
    when you join the household cavalry can you only do either a) ceremonial duties and b) operational or is it more like the Foot Guards who do both ?
  2. You can do both, but you start with either one or the other and transfer after a couple of years. You might start on ceremonial for a year or two, move the the armoured side for a few and then find yourself back on ceremonial on a promotion for another couple of years.
  3. What if you join and go to ceremonial first and realise its all you want to do, is it possible to stay in the ceremonial role without going onto tanks?

    (Based on joining as a Trooper)
  4. Yes you can. But I think they prefer you to have done both inorder to aid promotion. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
  5. It is possbile to stay at ceremonial duties at the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment. You would need to be selected for one of the permanent cadre positions at HCMR - riding staff, the forge, the tailors or the saddler's shop.
  6. Thanks guys.

    Can you be selected for one of the permanent cadre positions as a trooper on his first posting or would you need rank for some or all of them?

    Thanks again.