Household Cavalry

Discussion in 'RAC' started by horse_guard, Nov 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm thinking of joining the household cavalry, can anyone give me an idea of what it's like on both the op and ceremonial side - probably from somebody who has done both.

2. As long as you like "Walloping the Donkey" you'll be fine

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I know they are only cav but they still perfer those who use a bit of initative Household Cav so start with the basics and then try a specific question.

Sitting on a horse when it stands still is most probably fine except when it farts however crashing about in a panzer takes some beating - even when the crew farts.

4. HCav dont crash about in "Panzers" they skip merrily along in CVR(T) and I doubt if their farts smell anything more offensive than rose water.

5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Exactly - no fun in that 8)

6. Dont do it you will end up being some-ones bitch for two years

7. Is there something you'd like to share with us eddiemad?

8. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Judging from your name HG you have already made a decision about joining (it would be embarassing if you havent). I cant say i ever did ceremonial but i had a great time at the armoured regiment and the scope for Ops is even greater these days. All units have their good and bad points and some will deny this to the end even though deep inside they know it.
    The HCR is a slightly different animal from the run of the mill RAC regiment due to the London commitments but dont let that put you off. You already seem to be aware of this facet from your original post. You will get out of it what you put into it. You dont say where you live but there are recruiters from the Regiments in several regions off the top of my head i know theres one in Shrewsbury. I suggest that you look on the HCR website and there will be a link to one near you.
    The armoured side of life will give you plenty to do and Formation Recce is an art in itself. Go for it i say ignore the baiting you will get that whichever unit you choose. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions however ive been out of the loop for a while so my info may be a bit dated.