Household cavalry.

Hi.

I'm just wondering what life is like in the HCMR, I know it's all doing kit, working in stables and on duty so I am just wondering do they have time for organised pt or is that something you have to do in your stare time and when it comes to weekends does everyone have to work or only guys on guard?

I'm way out of date (30 years) but life hasn't changed at HCMR for 100s of years. Horses need looking after, kit needs cleaning and guards need to go out. We NEVER did organized PT except the twice yearly mandatory BFTs; nobody ever failed because we were all pretty fit. The working life is physically very active, there is no down time, no afternoons on your scratcher. Weekends were generally one 48 hour pass per month and one 36 per month. But that may well have changed now so I don't want to put you off. Like I said, the routine of looking after horses and putting the guard out is a seven day a week job. I don't know if there are any more current HCR guys on here, but if you can arrange a visit to Knightsbridge or the Training Wing at Windsor, they will answer your questions.

@Jorrocks it doesn't put me off I'm not that bothered about weekends off if I was I would just be staying in a normal job. When you was in did you have enough time in the evening from the gym or whatever I enjoy going or was it really late finishes and early starts?

@Jorrocks it doesn't put me off I'm not that bothered about weekends off if I was I would just be staying in a normal job. When you was in did you have enough time in the evening from the gym or whatever I enjoy going or was it really late finishes and early starts?
As with many things in life and the military, the amount of time off you get is often down to how organized you are. If you are an admin mong and struggle with the kit, you will finish late. In my day, the incentive to finish early was to get out on the town - the night life was awesome! I believe that these days, the lads are not so adventurous. Also, in spite of the work load, HCMR always put out good rugby and boxing teams and manages adventure training. They still do according to the regimental mags and of course there are the equestrian sports.

If a visit can not be arranged to either Knightsbridge or Windsor (probably moving to Bulford) try and get your hands on a copy of the 2016 Household Cavalry Journal,that should give you a good picture.

If a visit can not be arranged to either Knightsbridge or Windsor (probably moving to Bulford) try and get your hands on a copy of the 2016 Household Cavalry Journal,that should give you a good picture.
I believe the training wing is staying at Windsor even after the move of HCR.

I did the ceremonial training in the early 90's and while it was full on, I still remember plenty of nights on the pop (Italia 90 was the highlight while I was there) and playing footy and shagging dirty Harrods girls in Hyde Park.

There's also the yearly trip off to Thetford to give the horses a break. You get to do a lot more phys there. I remember doing the worst ever BFT on a dead straight road. There's open days for the public and a lot more 'recreational' ride outs.

It was a tough grind but very rewarding. Going off to Bordon to do my REME trade training afterwards was a holiday camp by comparison.

Also remember that you'll switch between the ceremonial role and the armoured role. Don't know how often, maybe every two or three years.