Household Cavalry & unique Ranks

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bound_Apprentice, Sep 30, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having watched the very interesting programme about the Household Cavalry last night I was reminded of the curious titles of Corporal of Horse and Corporal Major. Can anyone tell me what they equate to and more interestingly not only why they differ but how they have managed to escape being changed to the same as everyone else over the years? I would be interested to know of any other "unique" terms from various Regiments and Corps.

2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

RLC WO1s are called the 'Regimental Ginster Man'.

3. Ranks in RHG/D go:

Lance Corporal (LCpl)....................................Two Stripes and a Crown
    Lance Coporal of Horse (LCoH) .......................Three Stripes and a Crown
    Corporal of Horse (CoH) .................................Three Stripes and a Crown
    Staff Corporal (SCpl or SQMC) ........................Four upside down Stripes and a Crown
    WO2 or Corporal Major (SCM or RQMC) ........... Crown
    WO1 or Regimental Corporal Major (RCM) ......... Royal Arms
    Cornet (Ct) ....................................................... One Garter Star (ie equivalent to a 2Lt)

4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

One garter star and a flake..................................a 99

One garter star and two flakes.............................a double 99

One garter star, a handful of nuts and a swirl of raspberry syrup.........a Cornetto

5. Nice One! Did you write that yourself Oscar! :lol:

6. Thank you PM. How does one differentiate between LCoH and CoH if they wear the same insignia?

7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Junior rank is cloth senior rank is metal/brass

8. Was a cracking programme.Bombardier is unique to the Royal Regiment of Artillery which provided a certain bloody minded Cpl from the Queens Colour Squadron with some amusement when we did a course together as he associated the rank with the Royal Artillery Concert party from 'It aint arf hot mum' and managed to get my fine parent unit changed on the nominal roll to Bdr***** Royal Artillery Concert Party,this duly appeared on my pass certificate which took me years to get changed as they were posted on to us after course had finished,B&^%$RD one day our paths will cross!!!