Household cavalry ranks.

as an ex guardsman (Sgt (now RE Cpl)) we had the same.

A L/Cpl wore 2 on his chest in 95
a L/Sgt (Cpl) wore 3 and a Sgt also wore 3

it's only in 2 dress/ tunic you see the difference...
Red sash ect:ect:

papegojan said:
As a point of curiosity, I know the rank structure of NCO's in the household cavalry, but was wondering how they are displayed on cs95 slides, as metal crowns above stripes is hardly tactical. Can anyone enlighten me please?
Lance Corporal 2 stripes and a crown
Corporal (Lance Corporal of Horse) 3 stripes and a crown
Sergeant (Corporal of Horse) 3 stripes and a crown) and a swagger in his step
Staff Sergeant (Staff Corporal) 4 stripes(upside down) and a crown

hope that helps

Corporal (Lance Corporal of Horse) 3 stripes and a crown
Sergeant (Corporal of Horse) 3 stripes and a crown

So would these both be black or yellow/gold in the field?

I've read that in Number 2 Dress a Corporal of Horse wears a metal crown over a three tape chevron, while a Lance Corporal of Horse wears a cloth crown over a three tape chevron.

On DPM, a Corporal of Horse wears gold embroidery, while a Lance Corporal of Horse wears black embroidery.

Very confusing. IIRC Catterick had a Garrison Corporal Major (instead of Garrison RSM) in about 1977-78. Can anyone conirm / deny or is it just my fevered imagination again?

still21inmymind said:
Very confusing. IIRC Catterick had a Garrison Corporal Major (instead of Garrison RSM) in about 1977-78. Can anyone conirm / deny or is it just my fevered imagination again?
I spent time with the lifeguards in Cyprus so I reckon I can kinda ansewer this question. The reason they don't have Sergeants is because the word Sergeant means 'Servant' Queen Victoria didnt want a Corp of such a senior rank and close to her called Servants so now on her decree they have to be Corporals ie Corporal of Horse, The gold crown denotes a Sergeant with three stripes, two stripes and a cloth crown is a Lance corporal, three stripes and a cloth crown is a full Corporal. They don't have a Sergeant major its a Corporal Major 8)

51airborne said:
still21inmymind said:
I spent time with the lifeguards in Cyprus so I reckon I can kinda ansewer this question. The reason they don't have Sergeants is because the word Sergeant means 'Servant' Queen Victoria didnt want a Corp of such a senior rank and close to her called Servants so now on her decree they have to be Corporals ie Corporal of Horse, The gold crown denotes a Sergeant with three stripes, two stripes and a cloth crown is a Lance corporal, three stripes and a cloth crown is a full Corporal. They don't have a Sergeant major its a Corporal Major 8)
That's about the size of it, well done and my condolences for having to spend time with the LG. :D

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
51airborne said:
still21inmymind said:
And SQMC - confused me for oooh 2 seconds when we followed A Sqn LG to UNFICYP and I saw this on a door.

Many thanks for the confirmation lads. It took me years just to learn the basic ranks, near had a breakdown when I saw some of this lot.

the_butler said:
51airborne said:
still21inmymind said:
That's about the size of it, well done and my condolences for having to spend time with the LG. :D
Say Butler, did you know James Blunt or his brother? Or Madonna? 8)

Does Corporal Major just wear a normal WO badge?

51airborne said:
the_butler said:
51airborne said:
still21inmymind said:
Say Butler, did you know James Blunt or his brother? Or Madonna? 8)
Mr Blount was a LG I believe. being as I avoided them like the plague (barring a few down to earth ones) no. As for Madonna that's another story. ;)

18TrooperH.C.R said:
I am a senior army cadet in cumbermerre barrakcs windsor which is the household cavalry's amoured barracks, the Corp Maj's Rank Is 4 upside down chevrons and a crown.
I think you will find that is the badge of rank of a Staff Corporal which is equivalent to a Staff Sergeant but addressed as sir.
Oh and it's Combermere Barracks, Windsor. you make it sound rude with your misspellings.

The Life Guards - senior Regiment of the British Army - you can't really get any better than that!
All NCO's use the same mess from L/Cpl to RCM (Regimental Corporal Major(?)), sorry 40 years makes the memory die.
B Squadron, if I remember rightly, were the first Armour into Ulster in '68 with Saladins, C Squadron (with me attached), with Ferrets, (whole Squadron airlifted in Hercs, around 150 vehicles!) went there in June '69 for 2 weeks to cover the marches and stayed for 3 months in both Hollywood and Clogher.
Did you know that then we were fighting the "Prods" not the "Fenians"?
Sorry, getting away from the point, the true statement of rank was "Corporal of the Horse".
Incidentally, a Sergeant can be defined as a "servant", however, the true meaning is "To Serve", in the middle ages, I believe, there were Captains, who lead and Sergeants who acted as their executive arm, much like the CO and 2i/c of todays Regiments.
Regards to all

Ah at last another real soldier we were still regarded as fenian regt in belfast 72

Oh no it's an invasion by the "Tins." :)

Welcome aboard gentlemen, now let's give that RAC forum a bashing. The Cavalry of line are getting beyond themselves. ;)