Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Household cavalry questions

QRK2

LE
It's a fair point to make. I suppose my view on that up until now has been that the Light Cav role seemed to have been tailored specifically to meet the strategic shift towards "strike brigades" set out during the last defence review, and so would naturally be quite deployable for the foreseeable future. I would have thought that being proficient in mounted and dismounted soldiering also makes them more versatile and thus more likely to be deployed across a wide range of operational scenarios, as exemplified with the Mali deployment.

The idea that the Army would take the Jackal, which (do correct me if I'm wrong) I understand was originally meant for SF use on a small scale, and then roll it out to conventional cavalry regiments, seems counterintuitive if they didn't think they would have use for it in future conflicts, but there's no accounting for MoD spending decisions sometimes. It also remains to be seen what comes under the next round of spending decisions under this government, and whether there will be any further significant changes to the broader strategic doctrine which could have an impact here.

At least you are thinking. I think you are being a trifle naïve about MoD decision making, and incorrect wrt Light Cav and Strike. I don't particularly like horses so would never go HCR and I know some good people who have joined Lt Cav Regts. In my view the best place to be is more about the people than the kit. That said, Jackal in a Baltic winter, deterring the Russians, you're having a laugh.

You might find these useful

Last edited:

8fairrc

Swinger
At least you are thinking. I think you are being a trifle naïve about MoD decision making, and incorrect wrt Light Cav and Strike. I don't particularly like horses so would never go HCR and I know some good people who have joined Lt Cav Regts. In my view the best place to be is more about the people than the kit. That said, Jackal in a Baltic winter, deterring the Russians, you're having a laugh.

You might find these useful

Fair dos! Thanks for sharing these links, I'll have a read through.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Jackal in a Baltic winter, deterring the Russians, you're having a laugh.
Light Dragoons, England's Northern Cavalry; Queen's Dragoon Guards, Welsh Cavalry; Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, Scotland's Cavalry.

See? No weak-kneed namby-pamby shandy-drinking southerners in the Light Cavalry. Baltic winters? T-shirt Order, lads.

Latest Threads