Household Cavalry - Kit cleaning challenge

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Peguin, Jun 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies for potentially having posted this in the wrong thread - any help would be most appreciated and I will immediately move this to another thread (military clothing?) if it is inappropriate.

I'm looking for some initial advice from anybody who has been in the HCMR. After searching fruitlessly on the internet I have been unable to find any answers to my query. To get to the point:

I lost a rather light hearted bet with my great uncle, an ex-Major in the Blues. He had a dusty set of ceremonial gear kicking about in his attic which I've now dragged out. As a forfeit he wants to see how close to parade standard I can get it (though expectations on both sides are v. realistic!).

Keeping to the spirit of the outcome of the bet, and given my own father has little idea being a civie, I'm not requesting the secrets of cleaning and polishing that might be passed around Windsor barracks - merely the dos and don'ts. The kit is expensive, and the sentimental value even more so I'm sure. Just what materials tend to be used on which part of the cuirass, helmets, gloves and boots. The rest will be down to time and elbow grease as he's let me know time and time again (so a great opportunity to sympathise with the old man, though he probably thinks I have little to do for the summer!). I have a week or so, and I'm afraid I might do something that causes irreparable damage.

Thanks again.

2. I'm probably not the best person to answer this as I had an orderly to do my kit while I was posted there. However, I can advise that you don't attempt to bees wax the boots. If they are old, they will fall to bits. Without beeswax, you'll have a hard time getting them up to parade standard, so I would suggest a lot of Kiwi polish and finishing off with a pair of rolled up nylon tights. The rest of the kit is cleaned with brasso for the metal bits and white sap (similar to what we used to whiten plimsoles with but I don't suppose anyone does that anymore) for the buckskins and gauntlets. Don't try to clean the gold - if it's old, it will have darkened and there is nothing you can do about this.

3. Boots first, then whites, do the brasses then the whites, then the main brasses. Brasso, kiwi, white sap.
    Personally I'd buy him a few drinks! It takes the average trooper about 7 hours to clean the kit, when he knows what he's doing and the kit is in good nick.

Sent from my android app whilst on holiday in the hot sun!

4. Used to take us at least 12 hours from top to bottom (including the horses kit mind)
    Get the boots up to a high shine using a diddly ( a Jewellers "silvette") and using a dash of water in the boot polish top, small circles and lots off patience and you'll be fine. Don't use "clear" though, your great uncle will spot it and rift you till your ears bleed!

PoGs

PocketComms - Language First Aid at your Fingertips

• Like Like x 1
  5. If I recall Officers kit has a few bits of guilt on it so don't use Brasso on those bits.

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Do: Give it to your Man to do

Don't: Overpay him - makes it worse for the rest.

7. Where a bouts are you located?