ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

House of Lords

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sirbhp, Mar 14, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

Just been listening to someone on the radio who is a peers has a number of fingers in corporate pies plus other activities.
    They have made five speeches in three years, but i cant see how many times that they have attended. Votes are well below par .
    Now it made me wonder if you take on a peerage should you not have to work a minimum amount ? serve on a Committee or two and if so how can you do this if you have three or four other paid jobs ?
    Look at Andrew Lloyd webber for example of an extreme case . lives mostly abroad came over once to vote for the government .

Do any troops here know how it actually works at all ?? I thought that I was politically aware until today .

2. It's a retirement home with pay and some where to sent the frecking useless

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Room for me then, if i don't get in to the Royal Hospital :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not watched this myself.It may help.
    BBC - Meet The Lords - Media Centre

• Like Like x 1
  5. I suppose you would have to drop your standards after the CO's wouldn't let you be a mod

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Fixed for ya!...... No charge! :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I watched that and it was an ok programme. Typical fly on the wall but the thing that came over well is many of the Lords don't like the ones who pop in just for expenses. Heseltine got a special mention as a non or seldom attender!

Oona King came over as a right 'look at me' up her own arse type of person who seemed to think she was doing the Queen a favour by changing her (designer) trainers for a pair of formal shoes when wearing the ermine. If you can instantly detest someone then that was her!

8. Thank you, feel free to add more about all the bast*rds in the HOL

• Like Like x 1