House of Lords Debate on Reserves

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by tgarden, Jan 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. tgarden

tgarden RIP

There will be a debate on the Reserves in the Lords on Thursday 19 January. It will be an opportunity to raise any matter of interest about Reserve Forces.
  2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Thanks for this, I hope all those with sensible questions for the good and benefit of the Reserves take this opportunity.

I think it's fairly clear that any good points and questions put on this thread WILL be considered during the debate. This is democracy in action - so use this opportuinty.
  3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Training Training Training. Role, FAS TA, Deployment, Pensions - something to make us feel valued.
  4. msr

msr LE

Feudalism - it's your count that votes.

5. Are you saying that the Upper House has no role in modern politics?
  6. msr

msr LE

Far from it, your Lordship ;)

7. Good chap, pull up a knighthood.
  8. No No , it is a large donation to Blairs fund that gets the Knighthood.
  9. That's a shame. I had four full magazines I could have donated up his fundament only last weekend. :D
  10. tgarden

tgarden RIP

It was a good 2 hour debate yesterday with plenty of input from those Peers either in the TA or working for associated organisations. You can read it here in Hansard.
  11. Many, many thanks tgarden. Some VERY hard-hitting points in there and I am especially grateful for the comments in the final few paragraphs. It is anathema to me and all of those Officers I have grown up with that we will never be allowed to command our own troops. It is very relieving to know that others have recognised this problem.
  12. Lord Atlee said:

Oo-er missus!
  13. A Lord who served as a spanner w@nker in REME for 18 years before he was commissioned - outstanding!
  14. Lots of good points, but why is a Late Entry Officer no substitute for a Direct Entry Officer?

Also why is it assumed that Officers must have better civvi jobs than ORs?

Good to see the Class System is alive and well, kicking the working man up the arrse, in the land of ermine.
  15. I think the difference between LE's and DE's is all to do with age. Top Brass are always banging on about how enthusiastic young officers are, and how they tend to be well-motivated and such in a way that an LE isn't. Even if they are completely incompetant, they add a bit of life.

You also don't have to pay them as much!