House Of Lords and Poppies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by conco, Nov 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am watching the Armed Forces and Defence debate being shown on the TV at the moment. I am disgusted to see certain members of this house not wearing a poppy? :evil:

It isn’t bad enough that they are not wearing a poppy to show support, but these people, both male and female are debating a subject about us! Our funding and over spends by the MOD.

Is it any wonder that we are so short of kit and manpower when these individuals are involved in having a say about us?

There is one stood up now without one talking about dead civillians! I rest my case! :x
  2. So the source of your outrage is that someone in the house isn't wearing a Poppy? Or is it because they're not wearing one when talking about the Armed Forces?
  3. ...or maybe they pin the poppies to their overcoats, which they remove in the house?
  4. Just shows the current governments, lack of respect for our previous and currently service personnel.
  5. No, it doesn't show anything of the sort. With one or two exceptions the Government is formed from the Commons. As has already been pointed out there are a number of reasons why they may not actually have their poppy pinned to what they wear in the House. That they are in the House to debate the Armed Forces shows they care, one way or the other.
  6. Utterly outrageous! Not wearing a poppy must mean they have no respect for anything. In fact I think they must be in league with Muslim radicals at the very least. I wouldn't be surprised if these people were behind the bombings in London in 7/7 and supported Guy Fawkes. I bet their ancestors even tipped off William the Conqueror that the south coast was free.
  7. This stuff is getting fcuking ridiculous now. OK, we'd all prefer people to wear poppies and show their support but, at the end of the day, not wearing one isn't a crime and - as has been said above - there are various reasons why someone might not be wearing one at a particular time and place. How many times have you left the house and thought 'ooops, poppy's on my other jacket, oh well'?

This kind of poppy inquisition will eventually lead to a backlash from the public when we are less popular than we are now.

8. Keeee-rekt!
  9. For fucks sake... I don't wear a poppy either.

Everytime I buy one, I lose it after about 10 minutes, and I have more important things to worry about than spending half of every November replacing a poppy because I'm fearful somebody will start a thread about me on ARRSE.

I also remember when I wore green, most of the lads only wore a poppy because they had too - not many of them wore them outside of uniform. Yet I'm sure most of us always stuck our spare change in the poppy box. Actually, one time I was working a function in the Officers' Mess around this time of year, and the manager had to borrow mine because he didn't have one.

Get a grip on reality people!
  10. No, I think he jealous because somebody brought up a point about dead civilians...

11. NEWSFLASH:::::: MP's and Lords don't wear poppies on their PJ's
  12. Mine's pinned to my lap-top "bergen" that is sitting on my desk. Am I being disrespectful?

Seems to be one of those days where you wait ages and then a load of outrage buses come along at once
  13. Poppy nazi's are becoming dull.
  14. Personally, I'm enraged that everytime Gordon Brown draws a bath, he doesn't sprinkle it with a generous handful of RBL poppies before sitting in it.

I'd also find it more respectful if, whilst in the bath, he listened to The Last Post on repeat whilst meditating on the human cost of every war mankind has been involved in.