House buying worries

Im going through the stages of buying a house in an area im not familliar too. I started thinking 'what if my new neighbours or someone living close by turns out to be a fanatic, the first time i hang my washing out and all of a sudden im a target. I know the chances of this are slim to nill and its only a small percentage of the population (0.000000000001) want to cause us harm but is there a way of checking and if not why?

Cheers

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Over the millennia many billions of people have asked the same question (or maybe not).

Not sure if this is a serious question or a wah but ...
a. There is no way you can know what your new neighbours are going to be like.
b. Even if you could, the nice folk who live there now could be replaced by accredited representatives of Isis any time.
c. Given a. and b. above ... don't worry!

I can keep a low profile no problem but you know that women like to talk and children cant lie.

On the basis of your own logic, visit in mufti, speak with the local residents, particularly women and children and ask non specific questions regarding your fears.

With women liking to talk and children being unable to lie, the ISIS and AQ sleeper cells in your prospective neighbourhood will soon be rolled up.

Win win.

I think the next series of Homeland might be in there somewhere.

Im going through the stages of buying a house in an area im not familliar too. I started thinking 'what if my new neighbours or someone living close by turns out to be a fanatic, the first time i hang my washing out and all of a sudden im a target. I know the chances of this are slim to nill and its only a small percentage of the population (0.000000000001) want to cause us harm but is there a way of checking and if not why?

Cheers
Worry about paying the mortgage mate not this lunacy

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

X59

LE
Never buy (or rent) a place until you've checked the area out.

Multiple visits at varying times of the day and night, on different days of the week will give you an idea of what you're letting yourself in for.

If there's noisy parties going on into the wee small hours next door you're onto a winner. Maybe not.

If you're a squaddie and your prospective gaff is like the Bakara Market, then you may want to consider the wider implications of how your community may view your profession.

Alternatively, buy blind and repent at leisure.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you're looking at a house on the Western Isles then in all likelihood your neighbours will be fairly fanatical Wee Frees and you'll be severely tutted at if you hang your washing out on a Sunday.

You are assuming of course, he hasn't just returned from Syria and is using his bonus to buy a house and is worried about ending up next door to the local EDL group

Send a questionnaire to every house overlooking your back garden with questions such as 'are you a terrorist?' and 'will you murder me if you find out that my big secret is that I'm a serving soldier?', all with a yes/no tickbox system.

If any come back with a tick in a yes box you can send it to MI5, if it's all no then you're safe.

Either that or hang your uniform on a radiator/drying rack or on the back of a chair inside the house if you're that bothered about it.

lert

LE
Buy a tumble dryer.

Blogg

LE
Bung the postcode into checkmyarea.com

That gives a snapshot of the socio economic profile of those who live in the area.

Try the ONS census data for the postcode and crime stats as well.

Alternatively go there and open your eyes.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
What have you done?
You can tell us.

Ah got it. Niece was staying with grandparents over here for a while. uncle Skid2 is doing the primary school runs. Niece gets the talk 'Don't tell anybody your daddy is a soldier'
After about a week or so I get buttonholed by one of the teachers.
'You may want to have a word with -------she told everyone in the class that her daddy's a policeman'

Last edited:

Latest Threads