Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

House buying advice

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Got the keys today.

11 weeks from offer to completion.

Pretty shit when there was no chain at either end and it’s a new build (well, newly converted - building itself is 300 years old and grade 2* listed). Could’ve been done much quicker but their solicitor was shite, “lost” the paperwork on a few occasions, took ages to get back to us with queries etc.

Anyway it’s done now.

Need to buy some furniture.

645D8A4B-2B0C-419A-8C55-1F4F0F2E8A2D.jpeg
3A722FA4-6766-4128-94CB-53B3194CBA38.jpeg

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Got the keys today.

11 weeks from offer to completion.

Pretty shit when there was no chain at either end and it’s a new build. Could’ve been done much quicker but their solicitor was shite, “lost” the paperwork on a few occasions, took ages to get back to us with queries etc.

Anyway it’s done now.

Need to buy some furniture.

View attachment 307617 View attachment 307618
be useful for er !! entertaining clients ??

At least you wont have to worry about repairs or problems for a good few years, happier tenant that way

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
be useful for er !! entertaining clients ??

At least you wont have to worry about repairs or problems for a good few years, happier tenant that way

I’m keeping it as my shag pad.

I currently have a 140 mile a day round trip to work. This is close by. What I save in fuel will pay for this place and it’s a tidy investment.

Crash here 2 or 3 nights a week, maybe rent a room to a mate.

Basically I just wanted somewhere to take slags back after the Christmas party. :)

I currently have a 140 mile a day round trip to work. This is close by. What I save in fuel will pay for this place and it’s a tidy investment.

Basically I just wanted somewhere to take slags back after the Christmas party. :)
Lets hope Lady Ravers does not read your posts.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

I like your style
thats the Senior Service for you
a squaddie would use a travel lodge

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Lets hope Lady Ravers does not read your posts.

She stumbled across one of my whoring dits once. Managed to successfully lie my way out of that.

Reckon I’ll be alright.

;)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
By a bizzare twist of fate, turns out the wife’s family actually owned this building in Victorian times and had it as their estate office right up until the father in law sold it in the 1950s.

Slightly off topic. I'm after some advice. I am in a position where I own a house outright, which I had a relative living in. I also have a house that I live in with a smallish mortgage. If I sell my ownhouse to pay my mortgage off will I be liable to pay capital gains tax? TIA

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Slightly off topic. I'm after some advice. I am in a position where I own a house outright, which I had a relative living in. I also have a house that I live in with a smallish mortgage. If I sell my ownhouse to pay my mortgage off will I be liable to pay capital gains tax? TIA
Tax and property investment

Selling property
For most things you buy, if you sell them again at a profit you need to pay Capital Gains Tax (CGT).

Whether or not you pay CGT on the money you make from a property depends on whether it’s your home – the property you live in for most of the time or have lived in within the last three years.

• If you sell your home you’re generally not liable to pay CGT – this is because you can claim Private Residence Relief on any profit. If you have let out some or all of your home during the period of ownership, you might need to pay CGT.
  • If you sell another property – for example, a holiday let, a rental property or a property you bought for someone else to live in – you can’t claim Private Residence Relief and might need to pay CGT.

Swap houses for a few years and live in the one with the smallish mortgage, make it your residence for tax purposes before you sell it

Well, two years later we decided not to go for the flat, after much scrimping and saving, paying for a wedding etc we've finally got the keys to our own house.

It's taken a long time, most kids these days are fkd if they live near London, unless they get parental help.

Latest Threads