Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

House buying advice

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How you getting on @Dashing_Chap?

I'm just jumping through all the legal hoops and paperwork. It's been a good 5 weeks since the offer was accepted and we still haven't even exchanged contracts. No idea when I'll be getting the keys.

I thought this would be easy to be honest, no chain at either end, newish build so searches and surveys are all already done. Their solicitor seems to be gash, I'm looking at about a 5 day turnaround for any query.

Shite.

Seeing a place this weekend but getting priced out of London & SE. It's quite frustrating cos we'd get a 3/4 bedroom house for pish in the midlands and further up north. My girlfriend has a two year work contract and I'm waiting to hear back from another job in the meantime. I think as soon as her contract is up we'll look elsewhere.

It's not easy as my parents are getting older now too and I'd prefer to be close by to help out + support for future kids. If we move far away it means starting out again with no friends/family support too.

Seeing a place this weekend but getting priced out of London & SE. It's quite frustrating cos we'd get a 3/4 bedroom house for pish in the midlands and further up north. My girlfriend has a two year work contract and I'm waiting to hear back from another job in the meantime. I think as soon as her contract is up we'll look elsewhere.

It's not easy as my parents are getting older now too and I'd prefer to be close by to help out + support for future kids. If we move far away it means starting out again with no friends/family support too.

Why not get them to sell up, and buy a bigger house with the help of a mortgage for your share ?

If it can be converted or extended to provide a flat for them, with built in disabled features if things turn worse and they need more care ?

At the end, they've had a bit more dignity in their final years, and you end up with a great house.

Girlfriend just showed me a 4 bed house with gym for 90k in Lincolnshire... That's really quite sickening. 90k wouldn't get you a flat around here, flats are 130-180k...

Poppy

LE
Girlfriend just showed me a 4 bed house with gym for 90k in Lincolnshire... That's really quite sickening. 90k wouldn't get you a flat around here, flats are 130-180k...

some people commute from Lincolnshire you know...........aside from which the idea of a granny flat for elderly parents someone mooted is a good idea - I could do with that right now as mine are being worrying, could do with keeping an eye on them without having to visit every weekend to check they are eating and managing and letting the home help actually do what she's willing to so my dad doesn't overdo it and have another heart attack

Yes, but it's in Lincolnshire...

Daz

LE
How you getting on @Dashing_Chap?

I'm just jumping through all the legal hoops and paperwork. It's been a good 5 weeks since the offer was accepted and we still haven't even exchanged contracts. No idea when I'll be getting the keys.

I thought this would be easy to be honest, no chain at either end, newish build so searches and surveys are all already done. Their solicitor seems to be gash, I'm looking at about a 5 day turnaround for any query.

Shite.
Not unusual, ours took about 11 weeks in total to complete, most of that delay was down to the sellers and their solicitor.

You couldn't pay me £90k to live in Grantham

Anyone aware if the story about the Grantham hotel that would pay for your stay if you could manage to last a week there is true?

WM

Me neither, but my parents live about 40 minutes out in the sticks from there. Quiet little village, nice pub.

Me neither, but my parents live about 40 minutes out in the sticks from there. Quiet little village, nice pub.
And no Internet or public transport?

That I get - there are some lovely villages around the Grantham area. The town itself though is like the flip side of the coin.

Jump on the train in London at around 6:00PM with the City crowd and when it gets to Grantham the carriages just empty.

My gf and I were looking at a flat the other day, outside parking, garden, basement and lease free so seemed ok. We didn't get it unfortunately so put down an offer on the one above and it's been accepted.

It's very far from perfect as there's no garden or parking but it's a start I suppose. It's also lease free so own it outright. I'm looking at it as a temporary accommodation until my gf work contact runs out and we can move elsewhere. 5 years max I think then we'll see how things stand.

Got the mortgage in principle sorted so going for the proper mortgage meeting on Thursday. I think we'll go for 2+ years fixed rate as no telling what will happen with Brexit.

I've rented a few times before but this is the first time I've owned somewhere with another person. I always has dreams of a large library with a fire, chesterfield chair and items of antiquity... My gf seems very focused on buying Harry Potter though so I may have to claim at least some part as my territory.

It's a pity we didn't get a garden, then I could apply to join the shed gang.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
My gf and I were looking at a flat the other day, outside parking, garden, basement and lease free so seemed ok. We didn't get it unfortunately so put down an offer on the one above and it's been accepted.

It's very far from perfect as there's no garden or parking but it's a start I suppose. It's also lease free so own it outright. I'm looking at it as a temporary accommodation until my gf work contact runs out and we can move elsewhere. 5 years max I think then we'll see how things stand.

Got the mortgage in principle sorted so going for the proper mortgage meeting on Thursday. I think we'll go for 2+ years fixed rate as no telling what will happen with Brexit.

I've rented a few times before but this is the first time I've owned somewhere with another person. I always has dreams of a large library with a fire, chesterfield chair and items of antiquity... My gf seems very focused on buying Harry Potter though so I may have to claim at least some part as my territory.

It's a pity we didn't get a garden, then I could apply to join the shed gang.

You could always get an allotment ?

some people commute from Lincolnshire you know...........aside from which the idea of a granny flat for elderly parents someone mooted is a good idea - I could do with that right now as mine are being worrying, could do with keeping an eye on them without having to visit every weekend to check they are eating and managing and letting the home help actually do what she's willing to so my dad doesn't overdo it and have another heart attack
I commute from south Lincs and spend the week in hotels
But then I get paid expenses the moment I walk out of the door

Latest Threads