Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

House buying advice

Only if you have shit pay. I get paid a lot so my options are less life-crushingly depressing as yours.

I imagine my existence is probably more enjoyable than yours, otherwise you wouldn't have gone to the lengths of trying to add a bite to your post. You're probably older, fatter and balder than me and haven't had a good blowie since the Cold War.

With that in mind I'd be a bit upset with the world too if I were you, chin up though you might be able to buy love one day.

Got a few bookings for Saturday, trying to figure out whether it's better to get a house and just stay in it, or go for a flat, pay it off quick and then rent it out and get a house later.

Need to get in quick cos the Bank of England may put the rates up.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Quick update on my situation.

I found a really nice flat in a reasonably freshly (2014) converted 18th century town house.

Big open plan gaff. The sort of place that would be a million plus in London. You can imagine it kitted out with a giant TV and leather sofas etc.

Anyway, this ain’t London. It’s on the market for 90.

I viewed it, checked out the service charge and lease (900 quid a year / 996 years) which is acceptable.

Turns out there is another flat in the same building, the one next door, that is also on for 90. I viewed that today and it’s much the same as the first. Out of the two neither is really preferable.

So now I’m playing the two agents off against each other. I’ve laid all my cards on the table. Whichever one comes in cheapest gets my money.

By a bizzare twist of fate, it turns out my father in law used to own the building and used it as offices. I can only assume this is a good omen.

Although to be fair he owned pretty much every building in this town at one point so it’s hardly surprising.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Got a few bookings for Saturday, trying to figure out whether it's better to get a house and just stay in it, or go for a flat, pay it off quick and then rent it out and get a house later.

Go for the best you can afford. It’ll pay off in the long run.

Poppy

LE

I found a really nice flat in a reasonably freshly (2014) converted 18th century town house.

Big open plan gaff. The sort of place that would be a million plus in London. You can imagine it kitted out with a giant TV and leather sofas etc.

I viewed it, checked out the service charge and lease (900 quid a year / 996 years) which is acceptable.

Turns out there is another flat in the same building, the one next door, that is also on for 90. I viewed that today and it’s much the same as the first. Out of the two neither is really preferable.

So now I’m playing the two agents off against each other. I’ve laid all my cards on the table. Whichever one comes in cheapest gets my money.

By a bizzare twist of fate, it turns out my father in law used to own the building and used it as offices. I can only assume this is a good omen.

Although to be fair he owned pretty much every building in this town at one point so it’s hardly surprising.

why not just buy them both?

Is there any ground rent? Check for clauses to see if it doubles every xx years in the lease.

If you:

1. Can live in the flat, and
2. can pay it off quickly, and.......tuck away the extra you would pay for a house,
3. stick to the plan of renting it out in the future.......set a time-frame and stick to it.

Then buy a flat and go for it.

I can`t believe that you were once saddled with the OXYGEN THIEF banner.

Nice to see you are almost normal now.

Doc1701

War Hero
Some leaseholds were set up back when Britain was on the gold standard, and inflation wasn't dreamed of. My place is leasehold, with the tiny ground rents bought off, and has another 700-odd years to run by which time I will either be dead or running the country.

Some leaseholds were set up back when Britain was on the gold standard, and inflation wasn't dreamed of. My place is leasehold, with the tiny ground rents bought off, and has another 700-odd years to run by which time I will either be dead or running the country.

Unless the freehold is sold, then you are fücked.