Hours of fun!

:) Excellent, I'll be be trying that one tomorrow too. Problem is we've only got those litle fruit flies that hang around the bin in the kitchen so I'll probably need about 40 of them I reckon. If that doesn't work I might just leave a turd on a tea-towel in the bathroom and see if anything with more horsepower turns up over the next couple of days. If anyone gets one of these working before then can you film it? :)

Stained_Eligius said:
:) Excellent, I'll be be trying that one tomorrow too. Problem is we've only got those litle fruit flies that hang around the bin in the kitchen so I'll probably need about 40 of them I reckon. If that doesn't work I might just leave a turd on a tea-towel in the bathroom and see if anything with more horsepower turns up over the next couple of days. If anyone gets one of these working before then can you film it? :)
What about Horsefly power!, bet them buggers have got some lift in em!

I'm wondering now if next doors Budgie could tow a model glider,
Mmm, think its time I went to bed..........NURSE!

I'm scaling the model up using some planks with seagulls nailed on. They won't go in the freezer, had to temporarily stun them with a hammer blow.

If it works I will upgrade the engines to eagles and will experiment with different payloads and range, I reckon I could get a medium sized incendiary device as far as France. :D

Stained_Eligius said:

You could make it into a Convair B36 with that amount of 'engines'.

Wasps are the holy grail of propulsion but handling them is akin to handling Hydrogen Peroxide. Wasps make excellent 'fighters'.

Daddy long legs are crap. They just break up when you glue them on board. I tried a variety of Beatles but they too are crap. They are just fcuking lazy.

You can even simulate emergencies too. Set light to one of your flies and you can 'practice engine failure, go'.

CharlieRomeoAlphaBravo said:
I'm scaling the model up using some planks with seagulls nailed on. They won't go in the freezer, had to temporarily stun them with a hammer blow.

If it works I will upgrade the engines to eagles and will experiment with different payloads and range, I reckon I could get a medium sized incendiary device as far as France. :D

PMSL :D :D

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Wasps are the holy grail of propulsion but handling them is akin to handling Hydrogen Peroxide. Wasps make excellent 'fighters'
I can't wait 7-8 months for wasps! I instantly turned back into a into a ten year old when I saw your diagram and need propulsion now. I have fruit flies, a 10x magnifying glass and superglue but no matches and I'm very frustrated...

:) :) I can't stop thinking about the chaotic flying characteristics of a match plane powered by daddy long legs.
'Which direction are you fückers flying in?!'
'I dunno, I thought I was flying pretty straight actually'
You're not mate. I was heading straight for the wall as planned and one of you stopped flapping now who was it?'
Look, what does it matter? By my watch we've got 4 hours to live so let's just get on....'

Stained_Eligius said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Wasps are the holy grail of propulsion but handling them is akin to handling Hydrogen Peroxide. Wasps make excellent 'fighters'
I can't wait 7-8 months for wasps! I instantly turned back into a into a ten year old when I saw your diagram and need propulsion now. I have fruit flies, a 10x magnifying glass and superglue but no matches and I'm very frustrated...
You could try some moths but I think they are as useful as nailing a few bananas to it. Failing that, fabricate some wings out of cling film and strap them to a couple of spiders. More like a hang glider than a powered craft though.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
To take this further: Bats!

Excellent night-fighter/stealth type machine. I'll need 2x old type wooden school rulers, Loctite and 4x Pipistrelles.

They're the future.

Actually, if I upped the number of fruit flies I could probably carry some kind of payload - or better still a weapon. Preying mantis? It could pick off the flies flying the other plane I would obviously need to build.

Sixty said:
To take this further: Bats!

Excellent night-fighter/stealth type machine. I'll need 2x old type wooden school rulers, Loctite and 4x Pipistrelles.

They're the future.

I'd imagine bats are good but I'm sure Stained_Eligius would complain a bit when you started hammering a 3 inch nail into his spine just for your enjoyment.

Some technical observations so nobody else makes the same mistakes. Gently stun the birds with the hammer. Nail the birds down by the feet, not the wings. 31 seagulls later I produced a working prototype that had a good power to weight ratio and which promptly fecked off to the nearest landfill site.

Eagles are protected and very rare, I intend to try albatrosses, with that sort of range oceans can be crossed and entire continents threatened. If we all work together we could launch squadrons of incendiary- laden terror planes, would anyone like to suggest a target, and also advise on the best albatross- bait to use?

:D :D :D

I've had a peeled banana on the fridge overnight and reckon that this must have attracted every available flying thing in the flat. Anything too stupid to have missed the banana is out of the running anyway.

My grand total is:

6 fruit flies and two lurking spiders. Clearly I'm going to lose a couple of the flies through attrition (spider action) and I can't see me getting this thing in the air for a few weeks yet. Anyone else having more success?

Lord...........Its a load of bowlocks............They don't stick properly and they took ages to warm up after taking them out of the freezer. Then when I got bored with the lack of thrust I just played crash and burn with the match head as the point of impact. The heat warmed up the glue, the flies happily pi$$ed off and I was left with a burning pair of thin sticks and no cooked meat. Mind you It did burn a wing off one of them and I took great delight in seeing it spin itself to death.

Thanks for nuthin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!