• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

HOURS LEFT TO COMMENT ON GOVT INQUIRY INTO FORCES HEALTH

There is an inquiry sponsored by DefCom into the treatment of Trops and their families HERE.
OK so the feeling is that nothing ever comes from these inquiries ...
BUT if there are only a few people contrbuting listing their experiences - good and bad, and where improvements can be made In Your Own Humble Opinion
...it will be assumed that everything is fine and that those who contributed are dissenters - nothing will change.

You have the choice now - would you prefer Selly Oak, or a hospital nearer to home with a military wing (staffed by military doctors and nurses) exclusively for Troops ?
Tell them

DO NOT SINK INTO APATHY -MAKE SURE YOU CONTRIBUTE! :idea:

86 posts so far and

only 5 days to go!
It would appear that the majority are quite a happy with the "NHS" equivalent (health lottery)

WHETHER YOU ARE HAPPY OR UNHAPPY WITH THE SERVICE - PLEASE GO THE THE FORUM AND HAVE YOUR SAY - otherwise the politicans will say "we asked - the majority thought that the service is excellent" as there will be little evidence to the contrary.

REMEMBER this is not about knocking or Mil Doctors/nurses/paramedics it's about the support they receive in order to ensure troops receive the treatment they require"

The problem I have is that if I were a wounded soldier, I know I would get excellent treatment at my local hospital. Were I still living in the Medway NHS Trust area, I'd roll to my rifle as Kipling advised. One hospital or many locations? Get right what is wrong now. Feed that into every NHS hospital. Have someone vet it - Prison Visitors sort of thing or that lot that check up on civpol nicks.

British soldier abused at Selly Oak Hospital by "women, in traditional Asian dress, ranting about the presence of British troops in Muslim countries."
HERE

Contribute to this consultation now - why should the troops have to put up with this?

rockape34 said:
British soldier abused at Selly Oak Hospital by "women, in traditional Asian dress, ranting about the presence of British troops in Muslim countries."
HERE

Contribute to this consultation now - why should the troops have to put up with this?
You said it was only open to the 11 Jun 07...

From one of the postings on the DefCom forum:
... My views are a little different to the handful on here so far. I would merely say that, in each thread, if you replace the word "military" with the word "white" and the word "NHS" with the word "black", you may find that the flavour of some of these opinions is reminiscent of 1960s Alabama or South Africa.
Only 110 posts to date including one from the MOD and the post above, time for a concerted rally - get your comments in now!

rockape34 said:
There is an inquiry sponsored by DefCom into the treatment of Trops and their families HERE.
OK so the feeling is that nothing ever comes from these inquiries ...
BUT if there areny a few people contrbuting listing their experiences - good and bad, and where improvements can be made In Your Own Humble Opinion
...it will be assumed that everything is fine and that those who contributed are dissenters - nothing will change.

You have the choice now - would you prefer Selly Oak, or a hospital nearer to home with a military wing (staffed by military doctors and nurses) exclusively for Troops ?
Tell them

DO NOT SINK INTO APATHY -MAKE SURE YOU CONTRIBUTE!

The main person who seems to be posting is DSCA - don't know who s/he is but a sample for your erudition:
DSCA said:
It is true to say that MOD could have treated civilians at the military hospitals rather than military medics going to the NHS, but I think that was ruled out on cost for a number of reasons:

a) the cost of running the miltary hospitals was hugely inefficient - the Aldershot hospital cost around £20-£25m a year of which a substantial element of it was on non patient matters - maintenance and other costs - I think something like £5m a year went on things like Business Rates, Ground Maintenance, IT services, work services;

b) the cost of the MDHUs are hugely more cost effective - part of this is that the MOD does not directly pay for ANY support costs - they are paid for by the parent NHS Trust, also what is not widely known is that any military medics working at RCDM, Frimley Park, Northallerton, Derriford or Peterborough (the MDHUs) only cost the MOD 30% of their staff costs, as the NHS pay the MOD 70% of the cost of military medics to pay for what is known as the 'free good' i.e. the NHS gets military medics to treat the local civilian population free of charge;

c) to look at this in detail - just look at Haslar and the Frimley Park MDHU. Haslar costed £50m a year to run but saw only 40% of the patients that Frimley Park does, yet Frimley costs just £20m. Why? Because the NHS pays for most of the Military medics staff costs and all support expenditure.

Bearing in mind that the NHS is meeting the MOD need to keep our medics accredited, the decision to have services provided in NHS facilities and not at places like the Cambridge Military Hospital was quite correct.
I'm not the expert here, but I know that others are, my experiences were in Military Hospitals (TPMH, CMH & Wroughton), all of which were very good (in my day), and two civvie hospitals neither of which were up to the standard of Military hospitals from my, the patient's, viewpoint as in both I was discharged with a swab thoughtfully left in the wound after it had been sutured.

This guy has 12 posts - almost in a row - if I didn't know better (well actually I don't) I would suspect this guy to be a researcher/spinner for Neue Arbeit - please make up your own minds.

[quote="James Arbothnot MP, Chairman of the Defence Committee]
"On Thursday 14 June, I and other Members of the Defence Committee visited the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre at Headley Court, and Combat Stress's treatment centre at Tyrwhitt House in Leatherhead. This was the first of several visits which will be part of our inquiry into Medical Care for the Armed Forces.

We were impressed by what we saw. Headley Court is a remarkable place. We spoke to patients and staff, and were struck by the dedication and positive outlook of both. The rehabilitation that goes on is a story which deserves much more public recognition than it gets. We were told, for example, about an amputee who, within four weeks of leaving Headley Court, was hiking on the Brecon Beacons on his prosthetic leg, carrying a heavy pack and a rifle!

Combat Stress also performs a vital service. We had a chance to speak to some of the veterans in the treatment centre, and to hear their stories. It was a salutary experience. The Chief Executive of Combat Stress was frank with us about how overstretched the organisation is, and how great and ever-more formidable a challenge it faces, with referrals steadily increasing.

We would be very interested to hear from anyone who has had experience of either Headley Court or one of Combat Stress's treatment centres."

The Rt Hon James Arbuthnot MP, Chairman of the Defence Committee
[/quote]
anwers HERE[/quote]