Hotspots for finding love revealed

Discussion in 'Lonely Hearts' started by Forces_Sweetheart, Oct 18, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From BBC:

(If you decide to move to Richmond, don't forget that William Hague is the local MP).

Lovelorn women are being directed into the countryside to find a mate.
    Richmond, in North Yorkshire, has the highest proportion of men over women in the UK. It has 50% more males than females.

A wealth of single men can also be found in Bridgnorth, Shropshire, where there are 45% more men. It is closely followed by Rutland and the Isles of Scilly.

However, for the men the urban sprawl is still the best bet for a love match.

Where the single men are:
    1. Richmond, North Yorks
    2. Bridgnorth, Shropshire
    3. Rutland
    4. Isles of Scilly
    5. North Dorset
    6. Kennet, Wiltshire
    7. City of London
    8. North Shropshire
    9. Teesdale, Durham
    10. Hart, Hampshire

Knowsley, in Merseyside, ranks highest with 12.3% more unattached women than men.

Seven of the top ten female hotspots are London boroughs and Liverpool came in fifth place.

The latest division between town and country has been uncovered by upmystreet.com, a community website.

Its survey of 2,450 single people in Britain found both sexes rate personality most important in a potential partner. A good job came at the bottom of the list.

And the women:
    1. Knowsley, Merseyside
    2. Hackney, London
    3. Wandsworth, London
    4. Wirral
    5. Liverpool
    6. Barking and Dagenham, London
    7. Islington, London
    8. Haringey, London
    9. Hammersmith & Fulham, London
    10. Cardiff

Despite the geographical findings, the study also revealed that few Britons are willing to scour the country for a mate. Eight in 10 people said they would prefer to date someone who lived in the same area as themselves.

Barry Holloway, marketing director at upmystreet.com, said: "We had no idea that there would be such a clear split in the areas where singletons live.

"It looks like the girls need to swap their studio flats for country cottages and the guys should give up their rural retreats in favour of urban chic apartments."

2. I knew there was a God....

Unfortunately, the majority of that 50% is mainly squaddies. Not that theres anything wrong with them of course, but .........

3. According to yesterday's Telegraph, the same study shows (unsurprisingly) that the Richmond figures reflect the 35,000 Garrison Troops in Catterick. The women there claim they never meet the blokes as there is a gulf between the town and the soldiers.

HOWEVER, it was suggested that a shopping trip might resolve the issue. Apparently the only place where the Army and locals mix easily is the new Tesco in the Garrison.

"There's always a lot of soldiers there, especially on Sunday mornings," says Laura. They come in about 11am to get a big breakfast after their Saturday night."

There it is then: head of to Catterick Tescos for 11am this Sunday........

4. There may be 35,000 of us, but we're fussy, so no slugs please.

Take it from me shadies, ignore the hung over and spotty youths from ITC who frequent Tesco's at 11 am on a Sunday........if its excitement you're after, try going there at 10 pm on a Friday........you can be indecently assaulted by as many drunken Fijians as you like! And if its the fast lane you yearn.....wait until November when you can get mugged in the car park by the KINGOs when they get back!

Seriously though.......has anyone seen the women around Richmond?.......hardly surprising that they are still single.......a bear wouldn't hug them.

5. That's understandable as having more women than men when all the men are in nick or away trying to find a bargain on shell suits in manchester :D

6. I have to say, I thought the places to find men were more appealing than the areas to find women. Dorset and Isles of Scilly win hands down over Barking and Dagenham.

7. loves one thing but for a bit of easy raunch, get yourself to Chester, dead easy.

8. There's a love spot between my legs if your interested FS.

Theatreman, love shopping in Chester for dresses, shoes, etc, but can you tell me which establishments are good to visit at the weekend for a bit of 'fluffing picking up'?

9. More women then men?

I always suspected it was full of twats :D

10. try Scuffy murphys (now called The Red Lion) and Rosies, loads of pubs inbetween them as wel.

11. Ahhh, the pleasures of Rosies, up the stairs with the sticky beer sodden carpet and into the dingy interior.

Better than Rosies was Tiffanys, then there was Edwardians in Watergate Street, then the Big Apple, then Angels, then there was always the Strawberry outside the Port. If you were really feeling frisky there was always Olivers in Love Street, but that was a gay club; went once, had a brilliant time and wasn't bothered, but didn't go again.

As for pubs there was a few we would always go to, mainly the City Arms, the City Tavern, Coach and Horses or the one on the opposite corner of the town hall...the Shropshire. When they shut on a Saturday afternoon we went to the Labour club. Pads of course went to the Frog.

On the way back there was always the Axe and Pickel, which was always first call before town.

can definitely recommend Chester for a night out, and loads of fanny about too...but that was when we were stationed at Saighton Camp, and not that crap camp the Dale.

12. I FCUKING knew it, dirty little Welsh man :D

13. Ahhhh, I load the gun and he pulls the trigger....just love it when a plan comes together :D

14. I live next to Wandsworth - :)

I am still single - :cry:

May I add Oldham to list list of single women as there seems to be loads!

15. OK, so single women places located where do the daft ones hang out who are still impressed by fat blokes in uniform with less medals than the CCF