Hotshot sniper in one-and-a-half mile double kill

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by singha61, May 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times
    May 2, 2010
    A BRITISH Army sniper has set a new sharpshooting distance record by killing two Taliban machinegunners in Afghanistan from more than a mile away.

Craig Harrison, a member of the Household Cavalry, killed the insurgents with consecutive shots — even though they were 3,000ft beyond the most effective range of his rifle.

“The first round hit a machinegunner in the stomach and killed him outright,” said Harrison, a Corporal of Horse. “He went straight down and didn’t move.

“The second insurgent grabbed the weapon and turned as my second shot hit him in the side. He went down, too. They were both dead.”

The shooting — which took place while Harrison’s colleagues came under attack — was at such extreme range that the 8.59mm bullets took almost three seconds to reach their target after leaving the barrel of the rifle at almost three times the speed of sound.
  2. Good shooting that man !! But what about PerSec ? In the days of the 'Troubles' lads weren't named because the 'enemy' could be anywhere. Is it deemed different now ?

3. Awesome piece of work!

But I question the authorities allowing his ID to be published in the public arena.
  4. It always amazes me just how far away a weapon can be lethal.
    I once heard a dit (don't know if it's true) that a bloke on the Welsh side of the Severn estuary was hit and killed by a .303 round fired from the Pilning firing range on the English side. That's a long way.
  5. theres already a good thread on this guys.
  6. Welll...

depends on what you class as lethal.. you can drop a bloke with a well thrown billiard ball - it depends on where you hit him as well as with what..

After around 1500m a .303 is probably yawing and losing a lot of energy... It would have to be a (un)lucky hit to kill at that range..
  7. Didn't the Lee-Enfield have a drop-down sight at the side for long-range suppressing fire? It's a long time since I fired one (and I was never allow to shoot that way).
  8. Do you mean the dial sight like this?

Attached Files:

9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Wasn't there a problem with this before?
    Seem to remember a lad from Dundee(?) being in the paper talking about sniping next thing he was getting amil and a few threats
  10. That one, indeed - or something very similar on the versions I used in the 1970s.
  11. This is what is known as a "volley sight" and was used, as the name suggests, to provide harrassing fire at area targets at extended range beyond that of the ladder sight on a rifle. There is a practical limit to the elevation you can put on a convetional tangent sight without doing serious damage to your neck. The answer is the shift the sightline to below the barrel, allowing you to raise the muzzle without lowering the butt..

To deliver harrasing fire, you basically line up your platoon/company/regiment and let fly at some distant target. The concept became redundant with the appearence of the Vickers Maxim machine gun which did the same job with two men...

Accuracy at these distances was not high, and as noted, the bullet performance would have been degraded to some extent, however rate of fire makes up for this to some extent. This is still the core role of the SF MG.

A dial site is a slighty different animal.. A dial sight is a way of firing a weapon on a magnetic/map bearing. The dial is set up to point north and the sight aimed at some near reference point. You can then dial in a bearing and traver the barrel so that the sight returns to the aiming point. By doing this you can shoot at targets obtained off map locations..