Hotplate/griddle for oatcakes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by EX_STAB, Jul 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If there's one thing that I miss about North Staffordshire it's the oatcakes.

[​IMG]

Yes. you can buy them in some supermarkets now but they're not the same.
    I don't think you can really expect to replicate them in a frying pan.

Anyway to that end, I have just ordered a piece of steel plate, 8mm thick and about 15"x18".

It'll almost cover the gas hob and it will fit in the oven if I can think of a use for that.

Plan is to get it suitably seasoned with oil and salt and to then try making oatcakes in the time honoured fashion.

Steel cost about £16 so no more than a commercial frying pan.

Anybody else ever tried this approach?

2. Any recipes to go with that - piccy there is making me drool :lol:

3. Here's another:
    http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipe/77/recipe-for-north-staffordshire-oatcake/
    Ingredients

* 225g fine oatmeal
    * 225g wholewheat or plain flour
    * 1tsp salt
    * 15g yeast
    * 450ml warm milk
    * 450ml warm water
    * 1tsp sugar

Method

1. Mix the water and milk together.
    2. Mix the salt to the flour and oatmeal in a large bowl.
    3. Dissolve the yeast with a little warm liquid and add the sugar. Allow the mixture to become frothy.
    4. Mix the dry ingredients with the yeast liquid to make a batter adding the remainder of the warm liquid.
    5. Cover the batter with a clean cloth and leave in a warm place for about an hour.
    6. Pour out enough batter on a well-greased griddle to make an oatcake of about 22cm. The surface will be covered in holes as it cooks.
    7. Flip the oatcake after 2-3 minutes when the top side has a dry appearance and the underneath is a golden brown colour and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

4. I think you have made something squaddie proof there, by my reckoning it should tip the scales with nowt on it at 10.5975Kg

5. Then just add bacon etc on top as per the piccy?

6. Yep!

The idea in having it as thick as possible is to distribute the heat evenly from the four relativly small burners.

Perhaps 6mm would have been sufficient. We shall see. If it's too thick to heat through It can always go to teh workshop for some job or other.

The idea of it fitting in the oven is to be able to preheat it. I'll fit it with some sort of lifting handle I suppose.

7. (my Bold)

I think Id pay good money to see you try and lift that out of the oven...red hot..with something on it....

8. Grill some cheese on them and roll up some bacon in them.

Heaven!

9. It wouldn't have anything on it. It'd just be to pre-heat it. Shouldn't be a problem. Use a pair of these:

[​IMG]

10. What could possibly go wrong...:)

11. Hold the phone...

I make it at 10.7256072Kg :?

This is a disaster!!!

I'd stick with 10.5975Kg though while i go and beat my calculator with a rusty chain; it's a little oriental boy called Wan Addwan with a propensity for spurious rounding.

I'll teach him to introduce errors in my calculations, the little bastard...chunter chunter

12. They look fooking nectar. :chef: As do the chebs on F-G's sig. 8O

13. Im disgusted in myself, I was using 2.5 a cheap pathetic shortcut conversion from inches to centimetres.

You are probably closer Sir :salut: