Hotel sues injured soldier over cancelled wedding

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by SanFrancisco49ers, Dec 22, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hotel sues injured soldier over cancelled wedding

A soldier whose Iraq war injuries left him in a coma is being sued by a hotel after he was forced to cancel his wedding.

Lance Corporal Alan Tudball, 23, from Wirral in Merseyside, was seriously injured when he came under attack from friendly fire on March 28 this year.

His fiancee, Claire McCombe, 21, was forced to cancel their wedding reception at Leasowe Castle in Moreton, Merseyside, three weeks later as her husband-to-be was still in a coma.

The owner of the three-star hotel, Peter Atherton, is now suing the couple for £2,500.

Mr Tudball, who is still paralysed in his left arm, said: "We decided to get married in 2002. The Leasowe Castle was our dream wedding venue and the owner agreed to us holding our reception there even after I found out I was going to war.

"My squadron leader promised me that he would let me come home to get married but there was always a chance that something would happen. And unfortunately it did."

Mr Tudball, from Moreton, was injured when the armoured vehicle he was travelling in was destroyed by fire from an American warplane.

His colleague, Trooper Chris Finney, 18, who was driving the vehicle, was awarded the George Cross for saving him from the wreckage.

The couple have now rescheduled their wedding for 2004 but will not be having their reception at Leasowe Castle.

Mr Atherton said he only issued legal proceedings against Mr Tudball as he believed the Ministry of Defence would cover all the costs. He is now considering dropping the action. He added: "It is not Alan's fault that he has been injured or that we went to war. We have pursued this purely on the basis that the costs would be covered by the MoD, not Alan."
  2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

If the creature who owns the hotel thought MoD would cover the costs, why did he not sue them directly? I suspect the unwelcome media attention has induced an about turn.

Still, as it's in Merseyside the soldier is lucky they didn't just nick his car instead.
  3. i live about 30 minute drive from the hotel i feel like going fdown to the hotel and give them a peice of my mind , like you said viro , i would imagine they have scored an own goal ,i don't think anybody will go there anymore

4. Oh that will do it :lol: , why not go down and give the money grabbing b*stard the sh*tkicking he deserves......................
  5. We could do with a flashy banner for the front page of arrse saying
    Boycott The Leasowe Castle, Moreton, Merseyside
    As for this modern litigious mindset that would imagine it acceptable to sue the MOD rather than give the wedding free in the circumstances....
    Shame on him :evil:
  6. Why not get a minibus full of the most capable Arrse thugs and vandals and trash his hotel squaddie style :D

Unbelievable! this c**t should be battered about the face and neck before being turned over to Egg banjo for some **** punishment
  7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

8. HERE HERE ............... then we could hang the b*stard :lol:
  9. I assume that some money grabbing lawyer said "Go for it!!" and rubbed his hands in expectation of his fees. No sensible advice along the line "This may not be a good PR move."
  10. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

11. Well thats a start.

Dear sir

You utter scumbag, hope you die in agony on Christmas day.

Yours an Ex Soldier, not the sort of people to make enemies of :evil:
  12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

...and my offering:

Dear Mr Atherton

I am to be married this year, and considered Leasowe Castle as a possible venue for the reception.

Then I read that you were attempting to sue a soldier who had been injured in the Gulf, after he was forced, unsurprisingly, to postpone his wedding.

I understand that you have a business to run, and that you stood to make a loss of around £3000. However, I ask you to consider for a moment the business of the soldier. He went off to fight, because he was a volunteer and war, ultimately, is his business. He went on behalf of you and I. He was unfortunate enough to be injured in action. His loss cannot be measured in financial terms. The rest of his life, and that of his fiancee, will be blighted by what happened to him, just before they started their life together.

I find it hard to understand how anyone in this country could hold a British soldier in such low esteem as to attempt to sue in these circumstances. If you thought the MOD would pay, why not pursue them directly?

I hope your conscience will ensure that L/Cpl Tudball and his wife have the best wedding reception possible, at no cost to them.

In the circumstances I will not now require your wedding brochure.
  13. Prone position DOWN.

27 e-mails in your own time - carry on.
  14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

EMail down the range!

Scouse $hitbag! Nice EMail MDN & VB!