Hot Wash and a USB Memory Stick?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Litotes, May 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just washed my memory stick in Persil at 60C for 2 hours.

It hasn't been backed up for 6 weeks.

It is now in the airing cupboard drying out.

Am I doomed?

Litotes

2. Maybe not. My stick has been washed at least twice without apparent harm.
    Only time will tel%xc&....

3. It's gone to silicon heaven.

4. I used to have an AG 8GB on a lanyard around my neck which fell into a trough urinal in a pub. I fished it out and cleaned under the hot tap and it was okay.

5. Surely as a USB stick is a delicate item, it should be washed on a 30 degree wash cycle :D

6. Is that where the toasters go?

7. I am sweating....

Litotes

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

The water won't screw it up, but the impurities might. If it doesn't work after 24 hrs drying try flushing it again with distilled water and the dry again at room temp.

The heat of the wash is more likely to have damaged it - serves you right for not using a 40deg cycle!! :p

9. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Calculators. ;)

10. And fake breasts.

11. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Also, leave it in a warm environment for some considerable time before attempting to plug it in. If there is any residual moisture in it when it is plugged in, that is what will destroy it - water and electricity aren't the best of mates. I'd suggest drying it out for several days before trying it again. If you've already attempted to access it, the damage may already be done.

12. Yes and no.

Flush it with copious amounts of distilled water, and dry it out again before trying it.

13. Not onto the stick, I hope.

14. When mine went through the washing machine, then tumble drier what killed it was the mechanical action of the machines caused a small piece to break off inside. I took it apart, soldered it on, backed my work up and shortly after the pen fried. Good luck, you may be alright if you just happen to have been very, very nice recently.