Hot Wash and a USB Memory Stick?

#1
I have just washed my memory stick in Persil at 60C for 2 hours.

It hasn't been backed up for 6 weeks.

It is now in the airing cupboard drying out.

Am I doomed?

Litotes
 

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
#6
Surely as a USB stick is a delicate item, it should be washed on a 30 degree wash cycle :D
 
#9
The water won't screw it up, but the impurities might. If it doesn't work after 24 hrs drying try flushing it again with distilled water and the dry again at room temp.

The heat of the wash is more likely to have damaged it - serves you right for not using a 40deg cycle!! :p
 

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
#12
Also, leave it in a warm environment for some considerable time before attempting to plug it in. If there is any residual moisture in it when it is plugged in, that is what will destroy it - water and electricity aren't the best of mates. I'd suggest drying it out for several days before trying it again. If you've already attempted to access it, the damage may already be done.
 
#13
Gremlin said:
The water won't screw it up, but the impurities might. If it doesn't work after 24 hrs drying try flushing it again with distilled water and the dry again at room temp.

The heat of the wash is more likely to have damaged it - serves you right for not using a 40deg cycle!! :p
Yes and no.

Flush it with copious amounts of distilled water, and dry it out again before trying it.
 
#15
When mine went through the washing machine, then tumble drier what killed it was the mechanical action of the machines caused a small piece to break off inside. I took it apart, soldered it on, backed my work up and shortly after the pen fried. Good luck, you may be alright if you just happen to have been very, very nice recently.
 
#16
USB sticks are inert. They don't contain a power supply. Drop the thing where you will, rinse it out as previously described then leave it on the radiator for a week (assuming radiator is on, which it probably is at this time of year).

Plug it in, should work. HOWEVER: If during the washing cycle, the thing got mangled (excuse the pun), there will be a problem.

If it helps: I dropped a brand new Samsung mobile down the bog. Fortunately without battery (important point, see above) or SIM card (OK, I CONFESS! Couldn't wait to a. play with the new toy and b: go for a wizz) Did the above, still using the thig, absolutely no problem.

PS If it didn't come back to life, you've learnt a lesson: do not leave your pron that you downloaded from your works computer on your USB stick. Get it saved somewhere else quick! :D
 
#17
They may well be inert, but the thing has been whizzing round next to the motor armature. Just got to hope that the metal drum provided enough shielding. There's a reason why the Soviets use valves in their Flash Cards.

(They do, don't they?)
 
#18
putteesinmyhands said:
They may well be inert, but the thing has been whizzing round next to the motor armature. Just got to hope that the metal drum provided enough shielding. There's a reason why the Soviets use valves in their Flash Cards.

(They do, don't they?)
I thought it was the East Germans who proudly produced the biggest microchips in the world. Or is that just Ossi baiting?
 
#19
tearsbeforebedtime said:
I thought it was the East Germans who proudly produced the biggest microchips in the world. Or is that just Ossi baiting?
I thought that was McCain.
 
#20
depends entirely on the speed at which it heated and cooled. The water itself wont do any damage the a usb as its all solid state but it will need to be very dry before you try to use it. If it heated up quickly the board inside can warp, cooling does the same thing.

I clean a wifi keyboard in the dishwasher ever month or so on a normal hot cycle and have no problems so the the technique of washing and drying is fine if you know what you are doing.

Best of luck though, it can be trial and error.

If its knackered and you are desperate for the files, they can normally be recovered by someone who really knows what they are doing - or the pros.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
monsoon_ditch The NAAFI Bar 25
F Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2
C The Intelligence Cell 3

Similar threads

Latest Threads