Hot sauces.

Another hot condiment with a unique taste is Indian Brinjal (aubergine ) pickle. Pataks make a good one or Bolsts (if you can find it). It really is a unique combination of taste and texture - too good to mix with any other condiment.

Also in case anyone is wondering there is a Lea and Perrins shortage at the moment. I could only find Henderons relish in the supermarket which is unheard of In Oxfordshire , i had never seen the stuff before .

Upon checking online supermarkets it seems the same is happening withe everyone due to a bottling problem at the plant of something,

Also in case anyone is wondering there is a Lea and Perrins shortage at the moment. I could only find Henderons relish in the supermarket which is unheard of In Oxfordshire , i had never seen the stuff before .

Upon checking online supermarkets it seems the same is happening withe everyone due to a bottling problem at the plant of something,
Nooooo-.jpg

This stuff is massively hot, just 3 drops can heat up enough curry for 5 people.
So it’s just stupid then. It falls into the category of food posing.

Has anyone tried extracting capsaicin from chilli peppers?

It's apparently fairly easy to do and just requires cutting / blending hot chillis (scotch bonnets, bird eyes or habaneros are supposed to work well) into a fine mush, soaking in alcohol, filtering out the bits of plant and then leaving the liquid to evaporate.

It's something on the list of stuff to do if I get really bored.

On topic, Encona original, flying goose sriracha and Tabasco are at the right point for me between heat and flavour. I'd rather add a bit more sauce than go for the painfully hot stuff.

Has anyone tried extracting capsaicin from chilli peppers?

It's apparently fairly easy to do and just requires cutting / blending hot chillis (scotch bonnets, bird eyes or habaneros are supposed to work well) into a fine mush, soaking in alcohol, filtering out the bits of plant and then leaving the liquid to evaporate.

It's something on the list of stuff to do if I get really bored.

On topic, Encona original, flying goose sriracha and Tabasco are at the right point for me between heat and flavour. I'd rather add a bit more sauce than go for the painfully hot stuff.
Where do we get the alcohol?

Shops? Cheap vodka should do the trick.

Having looked it up capsaicin is most soluble in ether and benzene but I'm not keen on eating anything that's been near benzene and there are better uses for ether.
Ortholith, sorry, I’m being a dick.
I was given a plant and am diligently cultivating it. We cut a fruit today and it was fruity and hot.
I hate hot foodstuffs but some chilli is ok, now and then.

Tom yum paste let down with a bit of water heats seafood up nicely. Very strong initial lime hit with the lemon grass coming in then the chilli hits you. It after the initial "f**k that" response it grew on me very quickly.

Chin Su from the 'nam isn't too bad at all-daughter brought me a squeezy bottle of it back from there.
Bit of sweetness but not overpowering like the Blue Dragon glop, and a decent bit of heat too.
F8ck knows what the ingredients are as it's all in worm writing.
Worms probably

Chef

LE
1593861186906.png

This place in Ashford is good for all sorts of hot sauces and also did some nice dried beef sticks. I bought one of their sauces, 'Dave's gourmet, Ghost Pepper'. One drop on a quarter pounder was right at the top of my tolerances (Encona is my bench mark for acceptable heat)

I do think that some of the really hot ones are for bragging rights, rather than for gustatory pleasure. A bit like the super hot curry served up somewhere in Newcastle.

Having said which it's all what you're used to, I used to have brekky down the East End of that there London in an Indian cafe and went, over a period of weeks, from a green birdseye chili in the curry to munching several with it. Likewise a mate of mine used the Ghost Pepper like tom sauce on his chicken leg at a BBQ and enjoyed it.

Tom yum paste let down with a bit of water heats seafood up nicely. Very strong initial lime hit with the lemon grass coming in then the chilli hits you. It after the initial "f**k that" response it grew on me very quickly.
Ohhh. I have Tom Yum paste in the cupboard.
I'll get a nice fillet of fish and try that on Monday.

I can't even remember what my Man Badge used to look like. It was confiscated when I transferred from the Army to the pink & fluffy RAF.

Was it lack of hot sauce that caused the RAF-ness, or was it the RAF that made you averse to hot sauce? . :razz:

I don't recall heat being a trait of any of great British brown sauces like OK, HP, Daddies and Brands steak sauce, though they were tangy, fruity and savoury.

Shop bought mustard was seldom hot enough for my tastes either. My mum used to buy Colmans mustard powder and make an incredibly strong and flavoursome paste.
You can still buy mustard powder in a metal box