Hospitals losing fight to defeat superbugs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rockape34, Jun 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here
  2. They're only failing in some parts of the hospitals. Slip them anything up to 100 quid a day and they'll let you in to the sparkly clean private ward.

Squallor and death from infection is for the unprofitable patients who can't afford to buy their way out of it.
  3. lf you actually work in the catering organisation, you would not be allowed into/leave work in your uniform, due to hygiene reasons. However, it is acceptable, for nurses/auxielleries/others within hospital employment to arrive/leave wearing their uniforms!

Recently, l was surprised to see a patient stood at the bus-stop, outside a certain hospital in Surrey, smoking a cigarette, wearing a hospital gown and a pair of slippers; and nothing else...... This type of behaviour is acceptable because we all have 'Rights', well lets rewind a little. Lets have a lot more consideration for the others, that we have to share the ward with.

Ward managers, contract cleaner's-managers should they not face criminal charges for premeditated murder / corporate manslaughter?

lt is understandable that some hospital patients, feel that they must provide their own clean sheets. This is not the solution to stamping out MRSA, it is easily transmitted if the underneath surface isn't cleaned.

Until people/nurses/doctors/firms/patients/ workers within hospitals, themselves are accountable for their own actions, not a lot will change. You must call for the hospital manager immediately, let them explain why the hospital is in such an appalling mess. They will soon get fed-up with keep having to answer the same question, day-in-day-out. The more you suffer in silence, the more this BAD practise will continue.

Do something different today, do NOT turn the other cheek, hoping that some-one will complain for you; DIY, Do It Yourself.
  4. My sister in law is the charge nurse for the intensive care ward of our local hospital... she always has some frightening things to say concerning the conduct of her co-workers. Something as simple as using a stethescope without disinfecting it with alchohol between rooms can cause an outbreak of staph...
  5. Not everywhere! God help anyone Modern Matron sees leaving our unit in uniform. She's been known to accost staff in Tesco and send them home to change without finishing their shopping.
  6. Surprise me!

Tough on bugs: tough on the causes of bugs.

Excuse me please, I must vomit!
  7. Sounds like you've caught something lsquared. Have you been in hospital recently?
  8. In a lot of places there's no where in work for the staff to change. Mrs JBM works in an NHS care home and not only is there no staff changing rooms, there's not even a staff rest room. If she wanted to go into work in civvies and change there (as she'd like to because she knows that it's not good for the patients to be wearing her uniform to and from work and it's not good for us to be bringing her potentially infected uniform home and washing it with our other washing) the only place available for her and the rest of her shift to change are some small dirty cubicles in the staff toilets - hardly a hygeinic alternative either.
  9. The hospital, that was previously mentioned in this thread has loads of 'NO SMOKING' signs displayed all around it. Guess what?
    Take a walk and you'll find quite a few nurses (in uniform) at the back of the hospital puffing away, flicking their ash 'n' dogends on the ground (of a private housing estate) and then returning to work; without a blink of an eye. The funny thing is, even the security guard is amongst 'em............

These are two very good points, that l have quoted, both of great importance. Now, ask yourself just what is NEW LABOUR's - NO SHAME legacy come policy on health care? Do they really have one, is it abided too, and is it tied to a target chart?

Remember the 'Foot & Mouth' outbreak, everyone within the infected area had to walk on special disinfected mats; can some similar not be done in hospitals?
  10. I believe that the telling statistic (as far as superbugs is concerned) is

I am not seeking to minimise the problem but it is a small minority of trusts. Further, there is a correlation between the trusts running a deficit and those who fail to meet the 29 core care objectives.

Didn't one of the hospitals that beat C Diff do so partly by binning the cleaning company and start back up with dedicated ward cleaners?
  11. Are you suggesting military hospitals (up to the 80's) had the right idea -"cleanliness is next to Godliness" with doctors and nurses who could and would do their job well without having to worry about political aims. Sounds like a good start to me.
  12. Bringing in cleaners as part of the ward team has benefits in many ways. Not only are they on hand if things are going wrong and so can be gripped, they are also, by being part of the team, given some incentive in what, lets face it is a pretty bad job.