Hospitals and rude twats.

My mother used to say that when you go into hospital leave your dignity at the door and collect it on the way out. It has stood me in good stead.

It appears though that many people leave their manners at the door and they must get washed away or something because they never seem to regain them.

Military patients uphold the respect that's required of them, but all too often Civvy patients are utter cnuts, usually worse than them are the families who treat the nurses with contempt.

It's annoying and its not nice to see a nurse stand there taking shit, because if they answered back it's more trouble than it's worth.

The old are especially nasty, some can't help it, they're probably suffering dementia.

My first few weeks in here there was an old Doris in the next side room, she would continually shout for help, whenever anyone went to help her she became nasty and was telling them to fcuk off and leave her alone and they were bastards - right Jekyll and Hyde.

Now I've got some twat (he's welsh). Grumbles and groans all the time, mostly at night keeping others awake. I wish they would strap an oxygen mask on the fcuker, permanently.

I can't see their problem, the nurses are great, but rushed off their feet. A little bit of patience from these ungrateful civvy cnuts would go a long way. Alternatively a forearm across the windpipe would be equally pleasing.

Have you come across cnutish behaviour with nurses, paramedics etc (coppers and traffic wardens are stories ten a penny so no point bothering with them).

Any of you received abuse? Did you count to ten or give it back in spades?

They are old, ill, distressed, hungry, in pain, scared, confused etc

to be honest during my repeat visits to QAs for a rebuild I only ever saw meek and mild patients being rudely and negligently treated by the civvy nursing staff, mil nurses were cheerfully keeping the wards head above water

Too many patients not enough nurses and the nurses who haven't wrapped are obviously getting a serious thrashing in terms of workload versus quality patient care

People behaving shit when under stress, fairly standard which ever side of the nurse station you are on

L

lumpy2

Used to work in Dental A&E at Guy's Hospital. You can probably imagine the sort of cases we got, and abuse from patients kind of went with the territory! Of course it's not acceptable, but when people are frightened and in pain, normal behaviour goes out the window.

Unfortunately modern society expects everything asa given and for free. Some people exploit this especially with the caring profession.

Ambulance crews often get grief from the drunk because they wear a uniform despite the fact they are trying to help the drunk who has had a bottle in the face.

Hope you get out soon.

L

lumpy2

Used to work in Dental A&E at Guy's Hospital. You can probably imagine the sort of cases we got, and abuse from patients kind of went with the territory! Of course it's not acceptable, but when people are frightened and in pain, normal behaviour goes out the window.

Having said that, there's a certain type of patient who would really boil my piss - the professional loudmouth who would get put to the front of the queue just to shut them up. Just down the corridor there would be terminal cancer patients waiting quietly for their appointments, some of them obviously with only a short time left. Really pissed me off :(

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
a friend of mine was recently in Southampton General for several months. I have to say that there the patients have to put up with a great deal of waiting, discomfort and rudeness from a lot of the staff.

there are some very bitter and twisted members of staff there

imagine getting kicked out of A&E as they don't know what it is that's wrong (a form of paralysis stopping the patient from walking, or even being able to use their hands) and you've been there for 4 hours, so your time is up, please get out.

the list of complaints from one stay in that place is massive. they couldn't even get a Dr to do a medication review in less than three days when the hospital screwed up and removed a patients anti psychotics and pain killers from the system

i could go on, but I won't as my blood pressure won't take it.

I would like to point out that some of the staff there are really good. However the really, really shite ones stick in the memory.

Unfortunately, hospitals nowadays are understaffed & over patiented.

All to do with lack of funds.

So it might be a good idea to remember that patients are there to be treated for their condition.

Nursing staff arn't waiters & that hospital isn't spelt HOTEL!

Unfortunately, hospitals nowadays are understaffed & over patiented.

All to do with lack of funds.

So it might be a good idea to remember that patients are there to be treated for their condition.

Nursing staff arn't waiters & that hospital isn't spelt HOTEL!
Calm down grandad, you'll do yourself a mischief.

I guess I'm lucky that I've never had a stay in hospital where people were rude/abusive to the staff. When I was in the Role3 in Bastion there were only 3 of us there.

On my numerous interactions with hospital staff, I've always been polite and friendly to them - they're only doing their job and they are there to help you.

With the exception of one time I was whipped into A+E with the old kidney stones giving me hell. To say that the staff on duty that shift could have cared less would be a gross understatement. I got the very clear impression I was an embuggerance they could do without. I think it stemmed from the charge nurse, who had a real attitude problem, it seemed to rub off on the rest of them. Never experienced anything like it before or since, thank ****.

I managed to remain polite, despite the agonising pain and the temptation to let rip. Really glad to be transferred onto a ward several hours later, where the ward staff gave me my first hit of pain relief, pethidene. Bliss. A+E gave me nothing, which I noticed caused the ward sister to raise her eyebrow when I told her that.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
My mother used to say that when you go into hospital leave your dignity at the door and collect it on the way out. It has stood me in good stead.

It appears though that many people leave their manners at the door and they must get washed away or something because they never seem to regain them.

Military patients uphold the respect that's required of them, but all too often Civvy patients are utter cnuts, usually worse than them are the families who treat the nurses with contempt.

It's annoying and its not nice to see a nurse stand there taking shit, because if they answered back it's more trouble than it's worth.

The old are especially nasty, some can't help it, they're probably suffering dementia.

My first few weeks in here there was an old Doris in the next side room, she would continually shout for help, whenever anyone went to help her she became nasty and was telling them to fcuk off and leave her alone and they were bastards - right Jekyll and Hyde.

Now I've got some twat (he's welsh). Grumbles and groans all the time, mostly at night keeping others awake. I wish they would strap an oxygen mask on the fcuker, permanently.

I can't see their problem, the nurses are great, but rushed off their feet. A little bit of patience from these ungrateful civvy cnuts would go a long way. Alternatively a forearm across the windpipe would be equally pleasing.

Have you come across cnutish behaviour with nurses, paramedics etc (coppers and traffic wardens are stories ten a penny so no point bothering with them).

Any of you received abuse? Did you count to ten or give it back in spades?
The general public tend to be proper cnuts. I've every sympathy for people who are psychotic and cannot help it but there's a huge majority of the public who are just vile. A patient tried to take me hostage a couple of years ago, fortunately I was quicker than him, was in the paper recently for murdering someone.
We removed a hammer from a patient who fetched one to clinic who for some reason wanted to hammer a GP, it had all ribbons attached to it, pretty thing.
A lot want what they don't need and don't like being refused, fortunately we can stick to guidelines and deny things that are wanted but not needed.
I always report threats to the Police now, one chap lost his job as he was demanding drugs, boss didn't know he was on Methadone until he read it in the papers.
That Doctors programme on telly is ace but in reality it's not like that, you don't know which of the fcukers is carrying a knife, wants to attack you or will explode at the 'No' word.

It seems like people can be rude ********* on both sides then.
What a surprise.

Then both needs to be gripped as and when it occurs.

Maybe I'm blessed being at QEHB.

My Mrs was rushed into Derriford, Plymouth, via A&E fairly recently. Symptoms of some form of acute infection and a relatively high temperature, enough to be admitted at any rate.

She was on a high dependency ward of some description whilst they pumped fluids and antibiotics into her, trying to reduce her temperature and identify the infection.

Anyway, as I was visiting her one evening, a ward nurse/auxiliary of some kind did his rounds (read the 6 occupants charts) then slumped in his ward station chair, got on his mobile and got his feet up on the desk. Derriford is obviously a very clean hospital as he never used one of the myriad of dispenser pumps to rub his shoes with prior to smearing them all over the desk. The festering caant. Hospital acquired MRSA infections are clearly down to visitors not washing their hands enough.

The staff above this plebs rank were ace though (I'm guessing that the uniforms colour and general comportment count for something) and the doctors efforts to fix her up were much appreciated.

From the A&E response, short waiting time (less than 30 minutes from moaning to the receptionist to being hooked up to fluids) to being admitted off A&E to a ward, then the follow up and efforts to sort her out, I rate Derriford 9/10.

Thanks.

Oh, the hideous North Prospect family that visited the lung/diabetes patient opposite my Mrs? Smoking kills, don't do it and it won't help your Mum's conditions.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
There's loads of illnesses that can explain aggression and confusion but for the people who are not sick there's never been so many horrible people. Doctors and Nurses used to be respected but now we are often a cash cow, people often want stuff they can sell, they come to us, 28 Zopiclone are worth £40 for example. Ensure drinks are another thing people like to sell but often don't need. Pregabalin and Gabapentin seem to have taken over from Diazepam and Temazepam as a desirable thing to sell.
Once you give in or a colleague does you really are screwed, easier to say no once firmly than have a load of whines and abuse because somebody else gave something.

Interesting discussion.

I've rarely been to hospital and apart from long waits, it's not been a horrible experience. I'm polite with such folk and they have always been all right with me.

Nine and a half out of ten for the staff and seven and a half for the system.

However - behind the scenes. That's a different story. I once very seriously dated and almost married a nurse who became a midwife and had many many nights at the nurses homes. Far from being the fantasy one would hope for, I was introduced to a bunch of backbiting, rank conscious, education conscious assholes with some very serious multiple complexes that would put any military establishment to shame.

It was quite an eye opener and made me think of the profession in an entirely new way.

When such people meet the public, who will be stressed and not at all on their best behaviour, on 'their' turf, it's small wonder there's dramas.

A QA ward sister reported me to the police as a missing person, and put in my notes that i was a trouble maker

because I politely asked all nurses and HCAs to alcogel their hands (as per the instructions on posters on all the walls) And pointed out (in a calm and collected manner) what a f@ckshoot the ward was to the consultant doing his rounds

genuinely think all the caring nurses had bailed due to the stress and just left hard faced psychos and bullying african nurses to get on with it

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Interesting discussion.

I've rarely been to hospital and apart from long waits, it's not been a horrible experience. I'm polite with such folk and they have always been all right with me.

Nine and a half out of ten for the staff and seven and a half for the system.

However - behind the scenes. That's a different story. I once very seriously dated and almost married a nurse who became a midwife and had many many nights at the nurses homes. Far from being the fantasy one would hope for, I was introduced to a bunch of backbiting, rank conscious, education conscious assholes with some very serious multiple complexes that would put any military establishment to shame.

It was quite an eye opener and made me think of the profession in an entirely new way.

When such people meet the public, who will be stressed and not at all on their best behaviour, on 'their' turf, it's small wonder there's dramas.
The navy belt syndrome was a terrible thing.

It's a matter of standards...people get away with anything these days and can do what they want without repercussion. Hospital idiots should be taken back in time to be treated in the CMH and then try being abusive to the QARANC without getting their heads kicked in.

X59

LE
When I popped in to hospital to visit my old mam, who had suffered a stroke, I noticed the IV thingy attached to her had run out and was on alert/alarm.

I politely pointed this out to the two busy nurses at the desk on the ward.

After 20 minutes or so, I casually strolled past the ward desk and had a quick shufti to see what was more important than the Old Dear.

F@cking Facebook !

My piss was properly boiling over by now, but I kept cool and reminded them of my earlier request.

The rolling of eyes and loud tutting, before one of them ambled over and turned the IV machine off, was my cue to walk out before I became another general public proper c@nt.

Latest Threads