Horses, mules, donkeys, other equines and large quadrupeds . . . not suitable for the dog, or the cat, threads.

TWO: A re-post of the SUPPLEMENTARY (again Dtd 02MAR2016), to the original, which I should have brought-across a while ago.

My bedroom is almost directly above my horse Rubin’s stable. Other than the very few occasions (actually, only one two-week holiday, and two Regimental dinners ), last night was the first night in fourteen years, that throughout the night, I have not enjoyed hearing the comforting, reassuring, noise of him tearing at his hay-net, and shuffling about in his stable . . . . before in the morning kicking at the door below my window - wanting attention - regardless of daybreak, or such technicalities as alarm clocks (I think he took his cue from what road traffic he was aware of ).

At 13.2 hands he was really only a “pony” (though he never understood what that meant! ), Rubin was a handsome stallion, big of heart and a full of character.

Yesterday teatime, the vet had to put-down Rubin.

FACTS

How we got to this situation, I am not certain. Since Christmas, two visits from a vet have been met with platitudes and irresponsible re-assurances. Three weeks ago I was so concerned by Rubin not eating, his serious loss of weight, and production of only “cow pats”, that I insisted a senior vet take possession of the problem.

Blood tests confirmed that his intestine/bowels were not correctly digesting what little we had been able to tempt him with . . . . probably caused by the over administration of a wormer - by the vet - just before Christmas !!

The blood tests, also showed liver failure, although we do not know why. The vet was insistent that the indicators did not indicate ragwort to be responsible.

There has been no answer to his loss of appetite.

Rather than shaking the medication powder/granules over Rubin’s food . . . which he was not eating . . . this has meant having to mix drugs with the herbal “Restore” liquid, and squirt it into his mouth with a syringe.

To counter that he was actually living off his own body mass, he has been on steroids to help build-up his body, with a consequent increase in appetite - except we could not find anything he would eat!

The vet left us a sample of “Meadow Mix”, and also “Alf Alfa - A”, both the samples of which Rubin ate. I immediately bought two sacks of each. They were ignored, as had been his ordinary horse huts, and haylage - a small bale (20kg) of which would once have been devoured over night. He even began refusing carrots, apples, and Hovis whole meal bread - sales of which had peaked since Christmas! In desperation I was buying Tesco “Specialty” bread, and Sugar Puffs. He wanted neither.

Last week I thought “Nursery food” is usually helpful for the sick, and bought a sack of “Stud Mix” - used for mares and their offspring - and which Rubin had enjoyed as a yearling, when we had found him living in some woods and eating the neighbouring farmer’s profits. As with all the “propriety” bought-in feed, he ignored the “Stud Mix” !!

On a similar theme, I decided to take him to the near-bye playing field were we had taken him as a yearling, to graze for at least a couple of hours every day . . . before we were able to organise our own “paddock” and fencing.

Walking him - by necessity slowly - round to the playing field, was a revelation. Grass !! The one bloody obvious thing I and no-one else had thought of, or suggested! For the last week, I have been deluding myself that I could see an improvement - although nothing could disguise the Friesian cow-like hipbones or backbone. The best description of Rubin’s tragic loss of weight, is that if Rubin had been anyone else’s horse, I would have been reporting them to the RSPCA.

This last week he has also had an equine “pro-biotics” mixed into a solution with the “Restore” liquid, which yesterday did result in something resembling what a horse should produce.

Unfortunately, there is/was nothing specifically to help with the failing liver. The herbal “Restore” had been more in hope than expectation. With toxins not been removed by the liver, I had been warned to expect the toxins would effect his brain, with physical and psychological effects.

On leap year’s Monday 29th, he was increasingly uncertain on his feet and stumbling. He found himself making a half-hearted attempt at aggression, though it was obvious, he did not really want to be - or have the energy. With a deep, deep, sense of foreboding and realisation, I asked the vet to call as soon as possible. He came yesterday teatime, by which time even grass no longer held the attraction it had. Rubin managed - but, only just - to stay upright on four legs. His eyes had dulled.

Whilst waiting for the vet, Rubin and I had been sharing a tube of Extra-Strong mints. I asked the vet’s assistant to ensure Rubin had some mints in his mouth when the trigger was pulled.

I confess, I did not want to - or have the courage - to see Rubin drop to the ground.

EMOTIONS

I know it is often ridiculed to anthropomorphise our four legged companions, but it is difficult not to, when you are able to know what they want; and, when they similarly seem to anticipate your thought and actions.

More so than with a dog, it is even more difficult not to indulge in anthropomorphism with a horse . . . . when you realise that their eyes are at the same height as ours, and they can stare you directly in the face !!

Rubin has been as honest, strong willed, wanting to please and affectionate as anyone could hope for with an actual son. The responsibility of looking after Rubin, the love we gave him and received in return, confirmed that he was “family”.

My wife had taught Rubin a “trick” of realising when asked for a “kiss” he would push his muzzle into your face, to be rewarded with praise . . . and, usually a carrot or apple. Rubin had extrapolated this “give me” gesture, to also include “thank you” . . . I have had a number of “kisses” after I have put-up his hay-net !!

It has been heart-breakingly obvious over these last few weeks, that a “kiss” has also been offered as a request for “help“ . . . . and I have been negligently and unforgivably unable to respond.

SELF RECRIMINATIONS

Of no particular help to anyone here, I will save these for “friends and family” on fb.

20JUN2014 142.jpg

Never ask a bloke how/if he prioritises those who receive his affections !!

Happier times . . . [Sigh :( ].

20JUN2014 142.jpg

Last edited:
THREE: POSTSCRIPT . . .

The cause of all the above was the irresponsible vet, giving Rubin ALL of a week's (7-day) worming medication, in one go . . . when it should have been spread-out . . . smaller 1/7th of a dose, on a daily basis.

Apparently, the over-dose, ripped-out - DESTROYED - the lining of Rubin's intestinal wall, meaning he was unable to absorb any nutrients what-so-ever.

Rare twin baby elephants born in captivity in Sri Lanka.
An elephant gave birth to male twins on Tuesday for the first time in nearly 80 years in Sri Lanka.

Not that I have any experience of baby elephants, but those delicate babies do look terribly “premature” . . . at least they are in the best place for their care.

Last edited:

The petition may not be perfect . . . but at least it does drive the discussion forward.

Hopefully, others will also wish to "Sign & Share" . . .

Published by: Animal Aid, on 08 September 2021.

Duke and his mum want you to sign our petition to help stop horse slaughter in the UK!

We're asking for new regulations to stop irresponsible breeding practices, which leave thousands of horses and ponies 'unwanted' - with nowhere to go but the slaughterhouse. Unlike Duke and his mum, most horses don't have a home for life.

Please speak up for these vulnerable animals - sign and share the petition! We have until 17th November to reach 100,000 signatures.

"Unrestricted horse breeding has led to an excessive number of equines. The result is the slaughter of thousands of horses each year. We call on the Government to introduce a national limit on the number of equines that can be produced by horse breeders, reducing the number of unwanted horses.

The absence of Government intervention in horse welfare has led to going equine crises. Over-breeding is a major cause of problems. The Government needs to address this issue by setting clear limits on the number of foals born annually. All breeders would need to apply for a licence to breed horses. There would be significant sanctions for anyone breeding horses without a licence or breeding more horses than licensed to do so, including anyone sending horses to slaughter".

The petition may not be perfect . . . but at least it does drive the discussion forward.

Duke and his mum want you to sign our petition to help stop horse slaughter in the UK!

We're asking for new regulations to stop irresponsible breeding practices, which leave thousands of horses and ponies 'unwanted' - with nowhere to go but the slaughterhouse. Unlike Duke and his mum, most horses don't have a home for life.

Please speak up for these vulnerable animals - sign and share the petition! We have until 17th November to reach 100,000 signatures.

"Unrestricted horse breeding has led to an excessive number of equines. The result is the slaughter of thousands of horses each year. We call on the Government to introduce a national limit on the number of equines that can be produced by horse breeders, reducing the number of unwanted horses.

The absence of Government intervention in horse welfare has led to going equine crises. Over-breeding is a major cause of problems. The Government needs to address this issue by setting clear limits on the number of foals born annually. All breeders would need to apply for a licence to breed horses. There would be significant sanctions for anyone breeding horses without a licence or breeding more horses than licensed to do so, including anyone sending horses to slaughter".

Done

Published by: Lucy Fensom, via Facebook, on 13 September 2021.

THE FUTURE OF OUR SMALL DONKEY RESCUE SANCTUARY IN ISRAEL IS YET AGAIN IN PERIL
1f61e.png
1f64f_1f3fc.png
1f198.png

1631606874083.png

* IT IS WITH A HEAVY YET PRAYERFUL, FAITHFUL AND HOPEFUL HEART THAT I NEED TO MAKE ANOTHER URGENT APPEAL FOR OUR SANCTUARY AND THE FUTURE OF OUR 55 RESCUED DONKEYS AND HORSES IN ISRAEL.
ALSO FOR THE SAKE OF ALL THOSE WORKING ANIMALS THAT WE HELP AT OUR OUTREACH CLINICS IN THE PALESTINIAN WEST BANK.

* IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT WE TRY TO INCREASE OUR SUPPORTER BASE AND ENSURE RAISE THE MINIMUM REQUIRED EACH MONTH TO FEED OUR ANIMALS AND FOR OUR SANCTUARY TO FUNCTION ADEQUATELY AND BE MAINTAINED.

* OUR LATEST NEWSLETTER THAT WAS SENT OUT TO OUR SMALL NUMBER OF SUPPORTERS AND DONORS HAS NOT RECEIVED THE SIGNIFICANT RESPONSE THAT IT USUALLY DOES.
THIS PUTS OUR SANCTUARY AND OUR PROMISE TO SAFEGUARD OUR DONKEYS’ FUTURE, IN JEOPARDY.

* OUR SANCTUARY IS HOME TO OUR 55 RESCUED DONKEYS AND HORSES AND A FEW OTHER LITTLE RESCUED CREATURES.

* AS THINGS STAND AT THE MOMENT THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE SAFE PLACE THAT COULD TAKE OUR ANIMALS SO WE HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO MAKE ANOTHER ATTEMPT TO TRY TO APPEAL FOR HELP TO RAISE DESPERATELY NEEDED DONATIONS AND AWARENESS.

* PLEASE SHARE THIS APPEAL WHEREVER YOU CAN AND IF YOU ARE ABLE TO MAKE A DONATION, OR ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE ABLE TO HELP, TO DO SO - WE WOULD BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL.

* I KNOW OUR WORLD IS UPSIDE DOWN AT THE MOMENT AND SO VERY MANY PEOPLE AND ANIMALS ARE IN A DESPERATE SITUATION.
ALL ANY OF US CAN DO IS TRY TO MAKE WHAT POSITIVE DIFFERENCE WE CAN IN OUR OWN LITTLE ‘CORNER’ OF THE WORLD…

* JUST ONE EXAMPLE OF THIS IS OUR BEAUTIFUL, PRECIOUS RESCUED SOUL, ZACHARIAH, PLEASE WATCH HIS LITTLE VIDEO.
HIS STORY IS TRAGIC BUT WE WERE THERE TO RESCUE HIM, TAKE HIM TO LOVE AND SAFETY, NURTURE HIM… AND THOUGH IT TOOK TIME AND ENDLESS PATIENCE, WE WERE ABLE TO MAKE HIM FEEL WHOLE AGAIN.

♥️
THIS WAS ONLY POSSIBLE WITH YOUR SUPPORT…
♥️

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN…. THANK YOU
1f64f_1f3fc.png

1f198.png
TO MAKE A DONATION
1f198.png

PAYPAL: shop@lucysdonkeyfoundation.org.uk
www.gofundme.com/lucysdonkeys
https://www.lucysdonkeyfoundation.org.uk/donate
♥️

Just to reinforce the earlier post.

Published by: the Save Elephant Foundation, on 25 September 2021.

Listen to the incredible chatter as the KhamLa herd return to Elephant Nature Park for the night.

Volume Up
1f50a.png
!!

Every household should have a baby elephant . . . . :) !!

Published by: James Wharton, FORCES NET,on 06 October 2021

British Army Uniforms: What Are They Wearing?

Let's take a closer look at some of Britain's most iconic military outfits - the State Dress of the Drum Horse and its rider in the Band of the Household Cavalry, one of the oldest uniform's in the British Army.

QBP%20-%2008%20June%202019-157.jpg

Follow link for rest of the article . . .

Published by: James Wharton, FORCES NET, on 18 October 2021.

The retirement home for army horses – including my friend Empress

The Horse Trust's prestigious history covers two world wars, telephone calls from the Queen and some very special equine celebrities.

guards%20in%20snow%205.jpg

Former Household Cavalry soldier and BFBS writer, James Wharton, recounts a heart-warming reunion with a retired military friend and uncovers the remarkable story of a retreat for some of Britain's most celebrated horses.

Sixteen years ago, I was an 18-year-old fresh-faced trooper in the Blues and Royals.

Back then, horses were a part of my everyday life. I would get up at 5.30am each morning and ride up and down the streets of London before most people were even out of bed. It was a remarkable experience, trotting up the King's Road or along Embankment with my mates and their mounts.

Every few days, I would carry out The Queen's Life Guard, an important role the Household Cavalry has conducted for centuries. It meant putting on state kit, turning out immaculately with a beautifully groomed horse and riding the two or so miles through the capital, past Buckingham Palace and down The Mall to Horse Guards – the site of crucial ceremonial occasions like Trooping The Colour.
The horses were both our friends and colleagues. In one breath, they were vital instruments of our trade. In another, their individual personalities provided us with companionship; comradery like this, between horses and soldiers, has been a constant in the military for hundreds of years.

I fondly remember the standout figures in our troop. Quorum, the old lady of the yard; William, one of the tallest horses I ever saw. We understood their characters as quickly as we did our duties.

One of the more popular horses, not just in Two Troop to which I belonged, but the whole Household Cavalry, was a majestic horse called Empress.

True to her name, she commanded the attention of onlookers, not least those of us who knew her well and had grown used to her regal nature as a cavalry horse.

This week, all these years on, I was reunited with her at a unique retirement home for working horses. More than a decade had passed since I last saw her after her career in the British Army far outlasted my own. In July, at the grand old age of 23, she was finally retired. The pageantry of London's Summer months and the early morning winter road rides through the hustling West End are now a thing of her past.

Today she lives with The Horse Trust – an organisation with a rich and royal history of looking after some of the most well-known horses in Britain's history.

Household%20Cavalry%20Mounted%20Regiment%20on%20the%20Mall%20as%20the%20Queen%20celebrates%20her%20birthday%20170617%20CREDIT%20MOD_0.jpg

The Household Cavalry is one of two regiment's in the British Army that works with horses on a day-to-day basis. They are based at Hyde Park Barracks, London. Picture: MOD.

The Horse Trust had lost its way, CEO Jeanette Allen told me, before she took hold of the charity's reins in 2010. On a bright Autumn morning at the trust's Speen site in Buckinghamshire, Jeanette walked me through her role in the organisation. She said:

"Of the 100 horses that were here on my first day there were only 30 you could have classified as having worked outside of sports. It was a bit of a 'if you can't look after it anymore, we'll take it' mentality. And that didn't feel right. So, we thought we can't be taking these kinds of ponies on anymore. It's just not the appropriate."

Jeanette's vision for the charity was based on the significant work it had done a century earlier when horses were used as instruments of war. Back then, soldiers and their war-wearied equine companions returned from France changed creatures. The Horse Trust, or as it was known back then, The Home of Rest for Horses, was there to help.

Jeanette talked me through some of the myths around horses and the Great War:

"Come the First World War," she said, "four of our horses and what we called our loan stud were sold to the Army. This was part of that massive roundup that the Army did at the beginning of the war to get more horses.

"At the end of World War One, we started seeing more retirements of military horses coming in. The standout is a horse called San Toy."

Jeanette explained that the portrayal of what happened to horses in the fiction-based story of War Horse, the book of which was written by Michael Morpurgo, was in her opinion, a little different to what actually happened with the Army's horses at the end of World War One. She said:

"[War Horse] gave everyone the impression they were all shot for meat and that the officer's horses came home, and Troopers' horses didn't.

"The Army graded all horses into four categories: young and fit; older and fit; young or older but could still do something, and finally, horses that should be euthanised on medical grounds."

Jeanette%20and%20Romulus.JPG

The Horse Trust CEO Jeanette Allen and Romulus. Picture: The Horse Trust.

I was struck by how much passion Jeanette held for the history she was talking me through. The matters she described happened over a century ago, yet her summary of how horses were saved and how some, sadly, were not, felt as if she were talking about something that happened just the other week. It was infectious.
She added:

"And San Toy is a great example of that because he came back [aged] 27 and he was still brought home because he was fit. And actually, he wasn't an officer's horse. He had served in the Boar War, so he'd been shipped all the way to South Africa, fought in a war, came back, was shipped over to the Western Front, came back and then he was, because he was too old to work for the army, put up for public auction and a group of ladies heard his story, bought him, and paid for his retirement to us."

According to legend, San Toy never missed a single day's duty in the Boar War and The Great War. He lived out his days at the charity until passing away in 1922.

PA130019.JPG

A statue unveiled by HRH Princess Anne to mark the centenary of the First World War.

Another resident who enjoyed a long retirement at The Horse Trust was Sefton, the iconic survivor of the 1982 IRA bombing at Hyde Park. Four soldiers and seven horses were killed in the terrorist attack, and a further seven soldiers from the band of the Royal Green Jackets died in a separate incident at Regents Park that same day. Remarkably, The Horse Trust's current Director of Equine Care, Mark Avison, was a 17-year-old Trooper in the Household Cavalry on the day of the bombings. He recalled those events and the memories he keeps:

"The bomb went off and everyone knew something had happened. The first horse down the ramp to Sick Lines was Echo, and because I was down there I stayed with Echo all the way through the operation."

The 'Sick Lines' Mark referred to is the area of the barracks in Knightsbridge where unwell horses go to be treated. On that day, it was far from the usual. The horses Mark helped care for were horrifically disfigured. Mark added:

"With Sefton, we all knew him because he had a reputation of biting people. We used to call him Le Shark because he looked like one, and he was known for biting people.

"And so, Sefton came to The Horse Trust. I then came back into contact with him again when he left here [in 1993] to go to Melton Mowbray, where, unfortunately, they were going to put him to sleep. I was based there, and the night before he was due to be euthanatised, me and my wife went to see him and gave him loads of carrots. And he was a different animal. He was a lot more friendly, and he wasn't biting. Over the years, his behaviour changed because when he was at The Home of Rest here at Speen, the public saw him, and he thought, you know, this is not a bad life.

"So yes, we put him to sleep, and I buried him. In a way it's a complete full circle for me to be working here today … we still call Sefton's Barn after him."

Sefton%20copyright%20%284%29.jpg

Sefton, the Household Cavalry horse injured in an IRA bombing in 1982 retired to The Horse Trust and lived out his days in comfort. Picture: The Horse Trust.

Mark went on to have an illustrious career, rising to the rank of Major and holding the coveted appointment of Riding Master– one of the most prestigious jobs in the whole of the Household Division. Indeed, during my time in the Blues and Royals, Captain Avison, as he was back then, was a familiar face to me. Over the years, I was on the receiving end of more than one of his ticking offs. Today, it is difficult not to feel anything but admiration for a man who joined the Army at the very bottom of the ladder and rose to a place that frequently put him in the awareness of all sorts of important people, not least the Queen.

this%20one%20of%20mark.jpg

Director of Equine Care at The Horse Trust, Mark Avison spent more than 30 years in the Household Cavalry retiring as Riding Master in 2012.

The Horse Trust, like Empress, holds a close link with the Royal Family. The Queen has, according to Jeanette, "visited in the past but in a private capacity." Her daughter, Princess Anne, is the charity's patron. As Mark told me, she can see her former charger, a Household Cavalry horse called Elizabeth, whenever she visits thanks to the trust counting her as one of their residents. It is another neat little full-circle the organisation can be proud of.

But what exactly qualifies a horse to retire in the plush surroundings of The Horse Trust's impressive facilities?

Jeanette said the rules are simple: "They have to be taxpayer's horses." She outlined that The Horse Trust's residents are typically drawn from four areas: The Household Cavalry, The King's Troop, the Police and the Royal Mews. Yet, when a horse comes up for retirement, they do not come with a cheque or pension the team can draw on for financial support. Instead, it is looked at from the perspective of "relieving the taxpayer of the burden." A stark reminder that to the penny counters of Whitehall, these creatures are first and foremost working animals. And here is where the charity's core purpose sits. Was it not for The Horse Trust, the horses would either be sold on or euthanised.

Princess%20Anne%20the%20Princess%20Royal%20on%20Anzac%20Day%202021%20250421%20CREDIT%20PA%20ALAMY.jpg

Princess Anne, The Princess Royal, is Patron of The Horse Trust. Picture: PA / Alamy.

"We aim to give them at least two years here," Mark told me as he walked me around their site, "And the site's getting larger. We have just acquired that field over there, but to fence it alone will cost six figures."
The expense to manage such an estate should come as no surprise. The trust's facility in the Chiltern Hill's is impressive. And with the number of horses they care for approaching 140, all that land and all those animals need looking after not just physically but also financially. Jeanette outlined how people can support the charity:

"We are open five days a week now, so people can visit our horses and walk around the stables. There is a museum and a nice cafe.

"But a key was to support our work is to sponsor a horse. Obviously some of our horses aren't going to be here for that many years and some people will finish their sponsorship when that horse passes away, but most people are happy to have it passed over to a similar horse, perhaps another police or trumpeter's horse."

The Horse Trust's website currently provides the opportunity for supporters to sponsor over 20 different horses, with sponsorship costing as little as £3 per month. The really nice thing about taking out sponsorship of one of these beautiful animals is that the trust goes out of its way for you to get to know the horse you are supporting. You can even arrange to pay a visit in person. It is a great way to donate to a charity that has, for more than 130 years, stepped in and helped horses, sometimes when nobody else would.

PA130028.JPG

Empress now enjoys the plush surroundings of The Horse Trust's Chiltern Hills base.

At the end of my visit, Mark and Jeanette arranged for me to reunite with Empress. I was nervous about seeing her again after so long. The last time we crossed paths would have been Prince William's royal wedding in 2011. That day, Empress was ridden by an officer, and I rode a lovely horse called Jimmy.

While waiting at the stables, Mark talked me through the other things the trust gets involved with. He pointed out a memorial unveiled by Princess Anne that marked the centenary of the Great War – perhaps the period most detrimental to horses in all of history. While admiring the bronze, I heard the unmistakable heavy hoofs of the horse I used to know so well, and soon enough, from around a corner, the giant that is Empress appeared.

"She looks so big," I remarked to Mark, forgetting for a moment that I only ever really knew giant horses. Since I left the Army, I have not had much to do with the animals at all. Momentarily, I felt like one of those tourists who look on at the cavalry's horses in amazement all the time.

Empress stopped right in front of me. I said hello and rubbed her jowl. For a few moments, we stared at each other, and I wondered if she remembered me. Mark said there was no evidence to prove horses placed people or other horses in the long term. Still, just for a second, it seemed she looked right into my eyes. Perhaps she thought to herself, yeah … I know who you are. It was quite an emotional experience.

And then, just like that, she began to fuss, so it was decided she should be taken back to her stables. I patted her on the neck, wished her well, and she was led away. I'll probably never get the chance to see her again.

Tradition is a word that has been tarnished lately by ideas of outdated perspectives. I, too, have grappled with notions of tradition, particularly where some of the British Army's rich history is concerned.
Yet, within the fabric of this charity exists a set of values, the ontology of which lie in tradition. These values are as evident today as they were during the First World War, and it's what makes The Horse Trust so distinctive.

Last edited:

The Horse Trust​

For 135 years The Horse Trust’s Home of Rest for Horses has specialised in providing retirement and respite for working horses and ponies. These hard-working equine public servants have served our nation in the Police, the Army or with charities which use horses to help people. We also provide sanctuary to horses, ponies and donkeys who have suffered from cruelty or neglect and who are in desperate need of specialist treatment and care . . .

dinky-blog-.jpg

Latest Threads