Horses, mules, donkeys, other equines and large quadrupeds . . . not suitable for the dog, or the cat, threads.

Published by: John Simpson, The TIMES, on Monday 19 July 2021.

‘Cruel’ deaths of racehorses shown in BBC Panorama film from abattoir.

Thousands of racehorses — often young thoroughbreds — are killed in slaughterhouses in the UK and Ireland every year, an investigation has found.

More than 4,000 racehorses have been slaughtered in abattoirs since 2019, an investigation by the BBC’s Panorama has found. Evidence has emerged of failures to prevent the animals dying unnecessarily cruel deaths.

The programme, The Dark Side of Horse Racing, to be broadcast tonight, shows covert video from one of the UK’s biggest abattoirs exposing apparently inhumane practices. Some of the horses shot dead in the abattoir had enjoyed illustrious careers, winning thousands of pounds. They were associated with some of the biggest names in Irish racing . . .

[DAMN PAYWALL]

View attachment 590252[photo: Animal Aid used secret cameras to record the horses’ final moments at the abbatoir in Swindon. BBC ].

I didn't watch the program, so cannot comment on the behaviour of the slaughtermen.
However, the over production of racehorses has been going on for a very long time, and that is why there are so many being shot. Too many breeders breed from substandard mares, or from one's with compromised conformation, whose offspring are thus similarly afflicted, and thus of no use a a racehorse, and unlikely to find employment as a a riding horse given the oversupply.
I would like to see thoroughbred mares barred from having their progeny registered in the Stud Book, and thus unable to race, unless they have attained an lifetime rating of a certain value, and have retired sound in eyes, wind and action.

Retraining of racehorses as eventers, hunters and so on does go on, and the success stories are many, indeed, in the 70s one of the best horses my father trained ended up as one of the best police horses in the Met. This doesn't solve the problem of their being too many substandard, and thus unwanted thoroughbreds.

I didn't watch the program, so cannot comment on the behaviour of the slaughtermen.
However, the over production of racehorses has been going on for a very long time, and that is why there are so many being shot. Too many breeders breed from substandard mares, or from one's with compromised conformation, whose offspring are thus similarly afflicted, and thus of no use a a racehorse, and unlikely to find employment as a a riding horse given the oversupply.
I would like to see thoroughbred mares barred from having their progeny registered in the Stud Book, and thus unable to race, unless they have attained an lifetime rating of a certain value, and have retired sound in eyes, wind and action.

Retraining of racehorses as eventers, hunters and so on does go on, and the success stories are many, indeed, in the 70s one of the best horses my father trained ended up as one of the best police horses in the Met. This doesn't solve the problem of their being too many substandard, and thus unwanted thoroughbreds.
Not just thoroughbreds, it's prevalent through most breeds, particularly natives and cobs.

I really think breeding should be licensed.

A few years ago now, before it became popular and trendy, I used to pick up failed racers from sales or trainers and reschool and sell them on. No ROR in those days. It had to fit in with my own horses and work, so it was very much one at a time and only a couple a year.

This was my first one, at his first hunter trial. He was sharp to put it mildly and could get quite distraught at the sight of a pole on the ground, let alone anything actually jumpable.

He took 9 months of slow, patient steady work and went on to be a brilliant Riding Club horse for a 16 year old girl.

buck.jpg

Last edited:
Not just thoroughbreds, it's prevalent through most breeds, particularly natives and cobs.

I really think breeding should be licensed.

A few years ago now, before it became popular and trendy, I used to pick up failed racers from sales or trainers and reschool and sell them on. No ROR in those days. It had to fit in with my own horses and work, so it was very much one at a time and only a couple a year.

This was my first one, at his first hunter trial. He was sharp to put it mildly and could get quite distraught at the sight of a pole on the ground, let alone anything actually jumpable.

He took 9 months of slow, patient steady work and went on to be a brilliant Riding Club horse for a 16 year old girl.

View attachment 590357
As I recall the French have a very regulated equine industry, something the UK could learn from.

Published by: FORCES NET, on 25 July 2021.

Beach Break For Household Cavalry Horses On Summer Camp

Horses and personnel have stepped away from ceremonial duties for the first time since the COVID pandemic hit.

Household%20Cavalry%20horses%20and%20riders%20on%20norfolk%20beach%20unknown%20date%20in%20july%202021%20credit%20british%20army.jpg_.jpg

The Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment has swapped London duties for a break on the beaches of North Norfolk.

It marks the first time the Army unit has been able to stand down from ceremonial mounted guard duties since the pandemic restrictions hit in March 2020.

The soldiers and horses are spending three weeks enjoying the sands and surf of Holkham beach.

The highlight for many was the beach ride, a world away from the troops' daily duties as they rode bareback in jodhpurs and t-shirts through the waves.

Open spaces also allowed the unit to hone equestrian and military skills.

lots%20of%20Household%20Cavalry%20horses%20and%20riders%20on%20norfolk%20beach%20unknown%20date%20in%20july%202021%20credit%20british%20army.jpg
Horses and riders enjoying the beach in Norfolk (Picture: British Army).

"Bringing them to the beach exposes the horses and riders to new things, helps with their confidence, and makes them and us more able to cope when we get back to London," said Squadron Leader Major Tom Mountain.

The past two years have seen the regiment provide The Queen's Life Guard every day, even throughout lockdown.

Personnel also played a role in the COVID Support Force, helping at COVID test centres.

PFGEN

GCM
Published by: FORCES NET, on 25 July 2021.

Beach Break For Household Cavalry Horses On Summer Camp

Horses and personnel have stepped away from ceremonial duties for the first time since the COVID pandemic hit.

Household%20Cavalry%20horses%20and%20riders%20on%20norfolk%20beach%20unknown%20date%20in%20july%202021%20credit%20british%20army.jpg_.jpg

The Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment has swapped London duties for a break on the beaches of North Norfolk.

It marks the first time the Army unit has been able to stand down from ceremonial mounted guard duties since the pandemic restrictions hit in March 2020.

The soldiers and horses are spending three weeks enjoying the sands and surf of Holkham beach.

The highlight for many was the beach ride, a world away from the troops' daily duties as they rode bareback in jodhpurs and t-shirts through the waves.

Open spaces also allowed the unit to hone equestrian and military skills.

lots%20of%20Household%20Cavalry%20horses%20and%20riders%20on%20norfolk%20beach%20unknown%20date%20in%20july%202021%20credit%20british%20army.jpg
Horses and riders enjoying the beach in Norfolk (Picture: British Army).

"Bringing them to the beach exposes the horses and riders to new things, helps with their confidence, and makes them and us more able to cope when we get back to London," said Squadron Leader Major Tom Mountain.

The past two years have seen the regiment provide The Queen's Life Guard every day, even throughout lockdown.

Personnel also played a role in the COVID Support Force, helping at COVID test centres.

The salt water is great for their legs. We try and take ours to the coast at least once a year for a good ride in the surf.

Hopefully, others will also wish to Sign & Share . . .

Published by: Compassion in World Farming International, on 5 February 2022.

Petition - End the Cage Age for all farmed animals.

Every year across the UK, millions of farmed animals are kept in cages, unable to express their natural behaviours and experiencing huge suffering. These inhumane systems cannot be the future of British farming. The UK Government must legislate to ‘End the Cage Age’ for all farmed animals.

The European Commission plans to ban cages for all farmed animals, potentially by 2027, and will also look to prohibit the import of food from caged systems. This would result in the UK lagging behind the EU and may add bureaucracy to trade with the UK’s largest export market - possibly damaging the whole British farming sector.

The UK Government must work to secure by 2027, across the UK, a ban on the use of:

-barren, enriched and ‘combi’ cages
-farrowing crates for sows
-individual calf pens

1628273808707.png

Hopefully, others will also wish to Sign & Share . . .

Published by: Compassion in World Farming International, on 5 February 2022.

Petition - End the Cage Age for all farmed animals.

Every year across the UK, millions of farmed animals are kept in cages, unable to express their natural behaviours and experiencing huge suffering. These inhumane systems cannot be the future of British farming. The UK Government must legislate to ‘End the Cage Age’ for all farmed animals.

The European Commission plans to ban cages for all farmed animals, potentially by 2027, and will also look to prohibit the import of food from caged systems. This would result in the UK lagging behind the EU and may add bureaucracy to trade with the UK’s largest export market - possibly damaging the whole British farming sector.

The UK Government must work to secure by 2027, across the UK, a ban on the use of:

-barren, enriched and ‘combi’ cages
-farrowing crates for sows
-individual calf pens

View attachment 594504

Done

Published by: Eleanor Jones, Horse & Hound, on 07 August, 2021.

Coach who struck Olympic pentathlon horse banned from the Games

1628441772191.png
Germany’s modern penathlon coach Kim Raisner has been banned from the Tokyo 2020 Olympics after punching a horse. Credit: Imago/PA Images.

The German modern pentathlon team coach seen striking a napping horse with her fist in yesterday’s (6 August) Tokyo Olympics women’s competition was banned from the men’s competition after widespread uproar.

German competitor Annika Schleu was in the gold-medal position going into the showjumping phase, in which competitors ride borrowed horses on a course of up to 1.20m.

In tears as her ride Saint Boy napped, Annika was seen hitting and kicking the horse. As he neared the fence, coach Kim Raisner leaned over and struck him with her fist . . . .

Posted on the "tokyo-olympics-2020-eerrrrr-2021" thread, and also on this "Equine . . " thread.

Published by: Instinctive Horse Training, on 07 AUG 2021.

Trying to give Saint Boy a voice! My letter to The Horse and Hound Magazine.

Saint Boy.
Horses For Sale & Equestrian News From Horse & Hound

"Dear sir. The use of horses in the Modern Pentathlon is now a huge subject of concern worldwide after it became apparent that the horses themselves had no right to a voice when they felt they could not comply nor enjoy their experience in the competition. The treatment of Saint Boy has become worldwide news . . . "

www.instinctivehorsetraining.co.uk

Posted on the "tokyo-olympics-2020-eerrrrr-2021" thread, and also on this "Equine . . " thread.

View attachment 595078Germany’s modern penathlon coach Kim Raisner has been banned from the Tokyo 2020 Olympics after punching a horse. Credit: Imago/PA Images.

The German modern pentathlon team coach seen striking a napping horse with her fist in yesterday’s (6 August) Tokyo Olympics women’s competition was banned from the men’s competition after widespread uproar.

German competitor Annika Schleu was in the gold-medal position going into the showjumping phase, in which competitors ride borrowed horses on a course of up to 1.20m.

In tears as her ride Saint Boy napped, Annika was seen hitting and kicking the horse. As he neared the fence, coach Kim Raisner leaned over and struck him with her fist . . . .

I found it appalling that the rider was unpenalised for misuse of the whip and spurs and abuse of the horse and that the coach wasn't excluded for hitting the horse, but for 'outside assistance'

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A first and a second for the small lady at the village show yesterday.
298E53A8-A0C5-4530-BB68-DE6327A7F3F9.jpeg
F265A962-99EC-4A44-AD75-29106C6572F1.jpeg
21229BA3-057B-45A1-A64D-1F4989A61A1B.jpeg

chimera

LE

View attachment 595078Germany’s modern penathlon coach Kim Raisner has been banned from the Tokyo 2020 Olympics after punching a horse. Credit: Imago/PA Images.

I punched a horse once when it trod on my foot in the yard. It would be fair to say that it hurt me a lot more than it hurt him; doubt if he even felt it. Ten years later I still haven't got my toe mail back on that foot.

Vid of aforementioned Paso Fino.

It looks weird and a bit comical but these horses are fantastic to ride and just glide along. At shows people demonstrate this by holding a glass of champagne while gaiting at full tilt without spilling a drop. They are very comfortable to ride over long distances and were used for smuggling cocaine over the Andes. They would be an ideal horse for someone with back problems who can’t do rising trot.

They are highly prized in Columbia and other areas of Latin America. If you watched Narcos the show horses that the drug cartels keep are Paso Finos.

They are a very niche thing in the U.K. and don’t really fit into any known category. You can’t show jump them, can’t do dressage, can’t do cross country. They are quite literally one trick ponies and are bred purely for showing and demonstrating their gait.

Back when the missus was into them, there were only about 50 in the country. She took her’s to the European Paso championships in Germany and it won 1st prize.

I cannot swear it is exactly the same but the Cretan horse has a pace also outside the WTCG we are used to here.

I lived there 10 years, my two daughters rode a couple of times a week, my wife was a fearless rider all her life - I would ride on weekend camping trips, gallops down the beach - that sort of thing.

Also rode in France, Venezuela but never saw this gait anywhere else.

ONE: A re-post from the original (Dtd: 02MAR2016), which I should have brought-across a while ago.

It is hoped that objection will not be taken to a little thread drift.

It is known other contributors to this thread also have horses. It does seem more appropriate to post here, than amongst the rodents, reptiles, fish and budgies, in the “Other Pets” thread.

My bedroom is almost directly above my horse Rubin’s stable.

Last night was the first night in fourteen years that - throughout the night - I have not heard the comforting, reassuring, noise of him tearing at his hay-net, and shuffling about in his stable.

At 13.2 hands he was really only a “pony” (though he never understood what that meant! ), Rubin was a handsome stallion, big of heart and a full of character.

Yesterday teatime, the vet had to put-down Rubin.

As it may be of interest to - and pertinent for - others with horses, I will add more later.

20JUN2014 081.jpg

In happier times - Rubin “stealing” hay! - my "screen-saver"

Last edited: