Horses in the Army!

PFGEN

GCM
Given that your horse is 15 years and may have had a tough earlier career racing I'm guessing that you maybe take it a little easier. Assuming good health then you may have around 5-8 years riding before he needs to retire to the fields and join his older mates. If you can find something local to your posting think about finding somebody looking for a ride, can't afford the costs but will put in the work in caring for him. This would cover any times in training when you can't be around and if you end up on a short term deployment. I'm on the other side of the channel but we have people in a similar situation and there's no shortage of volunteers and by that I mean people who have horse sense, can ride well and you can trust. Good luck finding a solution. PTS should be the last option unless the animal is in pain.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
He’s kept not far from Great Malvern, Worcestershire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brum council used to own farms that the school kids went to, I have no idea if they still do.

Parnelly

Swinger
Given that your horse is 15 years and may have had a tough earlier career racing I'm guessing that you maybe take it a little easier. Assuming good health then you may have around 5-8 years riding before he needs to retire to the fields and join his older mates. If you can find something local to your posting think about finding somebody looking for a ride, can't afford the costs but will put in the work in caring for him. This would cover any times in training when you can't be around and if you end up on a short term deployment. I'm on the other side of the channel but we have people in a similar situation and there's no shortage of volunteers and by that I mean people who have horse sense, can ride well and you can trust. Good luck finding a solution. PTS should be the last option unless the animal is in pain.
He’s just a happy hack at the moment and he’s so full of life I really can’t face putting him to sleep but I can’t sell him on because I rescued him out of a horrible situation where he had been starved and I can’t risk that happening again. I’d rather be a responsible owner and do the right thing... I had though about leaving him here with the lady who is looking after him while I’m away for Phase 1 and having a loaner for him as the lady looking after him is my neighbour and he’s close to home but my parents have no knowledge about horses other than they have 4 legs and s**t a lot!

Parnelly

Swinger
Brum council used to own farms that the schools went to, I have no idea if they still do.
I’ve just moved him from Kings Norton back to near my parent’s because there was nothing suitable (too much access from the road and a lot of recent horse thefts)

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
I’ve just moved him from Kings Norton back to near my parent’s because there was nothing suitable (too much access from the road and a lot of recent horse thefts)

The farms are between you and Brum

PFGEN

GCM
He’s just a happy hack at the moment and he’s so full of life I really can’t face putting him to sleep but I can’t sell him on because I rescued him out of a horrible situation where he had been starved and I can’t risk that happening again. I’d rather be a responsible owner and do the right thing... I had though about leaving him here with the lady who is looking after him while I’m away for Phase 1 and having a loaner for him as the lady looking after him is my neighbour and he’s close to home but my parents have no knowledge about horses other than they have 4 legs and s**t a lot!

If you've rescued him then I fully understand. There's little to compare with the gratitude from a rescue animal. I was lucky to find a small stable that I could trust and the owner looked after mine as if it was her own. You might be quids in if another local camp has a riding association (or a facility close by used by others in the same position as yourself). It's a bit harder at training facilities as there is a greater turn around in personnel. You might want to look up Forces Equine or the Army Equestrian Association and give them a call. They might be able to help and at least you'll be speaking to people who understand your situation.

Shrivenham has a nice atmosphere, should be plenty of competent riders on the station so exercising' if you are not around, hopefully won't be a problem, great country for horses (not least the big white one on the downs!) - hopefully they can help, good luck.

Latest Threads