Horses in the Army!

Parnelly

Swinger
Ok so I’m having a slight dilemma!

I’m going into Phase 1 in January at ATC Pirbright and have sorted full care for my horse for the duration of my stay in Pirbright.

My issue is now what to do with him during phase 2 which will be in Lyneham. Ideally he’d come with me as I’m the only one in my family with any horse knowledge...
My question is, are there stables on/near to camp at Lyneham?
Or if anyone else has a horse would you advise diy, assisted, or full livery during phase 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
There are several stables within easy range of Lyneham. There even used to be one on camp, but I am unsighted whether it survived the transition from RAF to DTTC. However, be under no illusion, you are unlikely to have enough spare time to serve your nag well during Phase 2. You also need to think seriously about whether as a junior rank, presumably building a career and seeking promotion, you will be able to sustain your hobby/lifestyle for the foreseeable future. What happens when you are posted overseas or pick up a short-notice deployment? I am not trying to be difficult for you, just inviting you to set your priorities sooner rather than later.

Parnelly

Swinger
My problem comes in that I cannot gift him or sell him, my only other option is for him to be pts which seems such a shame for a healthy 15 yo horse. I appreciate the advice though!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
My problem comes in that I cannot gift him or sell him, my only other option is for him to be pts which seems such a shame for a healthy 15 yo horse. I appreciate the advice though!

Can you not give him to a charity like riding for the disabled ?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Speak to a cavalry barracks in Tidworth?

Parnelly

Swinger
He’s an ex racer and 100% not suitable for anything like that I’ve looked at giving him to the blue cross but they won’t take him because I am in a situation where I can afford to look after him

Awol

LE
It's been a couple of hours now, is no one going to post a picture of a pot of glue?

Edit..... a girlfriend once worked here, they've since expanded into boutique camping etc, but it's still mainly horsey.

kimmi851

War Hero
OK so I am talking from Some Time Ago and the RAF, but we had a saddle club on Trade training, and they offered a range of livery options. Definitely worth asking if they have one. There was down time enough for DIY as long as you got up early enough if it is close enough (training is not that full on) and when you move on to your posting then you will definitely need to hope for a Saddle Club as they will understand the need for fast moving to Full Livery if you get sent away at short notice. The riding crowd were a friendly lot when I was in and happily exercised horses for people who allowed it according to ability.

Amazing! Half an hour isn’t far at all!

And if there isn’t a riding club, you could always talk your CO into having one!
Time to swing the lantern, but years ago COs would encourage clubs. Anything from film to photography to rally cars to riding.
I suspect most of these things have gone by the by, and the troops now just sit on their arrse most nights, watching telly and eating crisps.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Ok so I’m having a slight dilemma!

I’m going into Phase 1 in January at ATC Pirbright and have sorted full care for my horse for the duration of my stay in Pirbright.

My issue is now what to do with him during phase 2 which will be in Lyneham. Ideally he’d come with me as I’m the only one in my family with any horse knowledge...
My question is, are there stables on/near to camp at Lyneham?
Or if anyone else has a horse would you advise diy, assisted, or full livery during phase 2?

Where about is the horse now?

Remember the old days where a lad would ask if he can bring his Corsa etc to basic training.
It does seem the army is attracting a posher class of soldier these days.

Latest Threads