Horsefly bites

Have you tried sitting underwater and breathing through a snorkel?

This really works, I experimented on my Mrs last night (after reading your post) who was bitten several times on Sunday and usually reacts badly to any insect bite.

The hot spoon treatment really does the business the itching stopped immediately and when she reported in this morning still no itching.

I had never heard of this method until last night, I'm now converted.

A truly awesome tip for dealing with pesky insect bites.

I have an idea it may also cause ticks to spit out whichever bit of your anatomy they find tasty at the time. Haven't had a chance to test it yet as the desert is a little short on the bitey bastards.

Wasp-eze does the trick, it even works on real nasties like the Blandford Fly and Weaver fish if you ever tread on one at the sea side

Ok your skin will feel ice cold for a while, but the irritant goes away

I have an idea it may also cause ticks to spit out whichever bit of your anatomy they find tasty at the time. Haven't had a chance to test it yet as the desert is a little short on the bitey bastards.
I'm not sure that you want to make tics spit, as I understand it this is the primary problem with some methods of removing them. They effectively spit whatever nasty they are carrying into your bloodstream.

I wouldn't risk using on a tick, they need a different technique to remove them. Clapping a hot spoon on one of those little no right to exist fuckers would just cause them to vomit up inside you.

But for regular insect bits like clegs, mosquitos and midges it seems perfect.

I can imagine there are far worse bitey bastards in the desert to deal with.

This really works, I experimented on my Mrs last night (after reading your post) who was bitten several times on Sunday and usually reacts badly to any insect bite.

The hot spoon treatment really does the business the itching stopped immediately and when she reported in this morning still no itching.

I had never heard of this method until last night, I'm now converted.

A truly awesome tip for dealing with pesky insect bites.
Another member of the hot spoon BDSM club:).

I was dubious last year when @Lardbeast first posted it, first time I tried it I nearly suffered 3rd degree burns not knowing how hot the spoon needed to be. After that though, and some temperature adjustment, it works well with the wife and kid's using the method too and no one reports any itching anymore.

I have a shady garden and with the recent heavy rain we have had the likkle git's are out in force. I had to cut back a couple of tree's and when I got back in the house tops of feet, ankles and calves were covered like there had been a mossie party - boiled up the kettle, 10 minutes later sorted - missed one, or two, they started playing up whilst I was out and treated them when I got back home.

While we're at this, anyone got a good recommendation for insect repellant in general, but with a slant to mossies? Because of the humidity down town I'm camping out alot at the mo..I have a supermarket-bought anti-mossie spray but it is pretty ineffective...I have been pondering sending a letter to the manufacturer asking if they have enough confidence in their product to use it and enter a room containing 1000 mosquitoes, all harbouring the cerbral strain of malaria ( kills in a matter of hours...just enough time to write your will and have a last few drinks...er, no.)
Anything citronella-based, such as candles or oil.

I’ve heard that liberally daubing the bite in deep heat will stop you noticing it.
I also heard that holding a lit cigarette end to the affected area helps too.

I was dubious last year when @Lardbeast first posted it, first time I tried it I nearly suffered 3rd degree burns not knowing how hot the spoon needed to be. After that though, and some temperature adjustment, it works well with the wife and kid's using the method too and no one reports any itching anymore.

I have a shady garden and with the recent heavy rain we have had the likkle git's are out in force. I had to cut back a couple of tree's and when I got back in the house tops of feet, ankles and calves were covered like there had been a mossie party - boiled up the kettle, 10 minutes later sorted - missed one, or two, they started playing up whilst I was out and treated them when I got back home.
Anything you want to share? ;)

The venom is protein based and can be broken down by causing it to coagulate when heated. Spoon held in a mug of just boiled water until hot then applied to the spot causes mozzie bites to stop itching almost immediately, although it does smart a bit for a second or two. Horsefly bites may take a couple of seconds more due to the volume of venom.
Given that neither Horseflies nor mosquitoes are venomous in any way (although mosquito saliva does contain proteins that cause an allergic reaction.), it is unlikely that you are breaking down any proteins (and the temperature required to denature proteins would be high enough to cause significant burns.). The itchiness from most biting insects is usually caused by your own body's reaction to the foreign protein, release of histamine etc. - hence why antihistamines work so well for most people.

Heat does work though, (there are a number of proprietary devices that cause a local heat for this purpose - Amazon here -bite away device ), but the mechanism of action is almost certainly more likely to be related to activation (over-stimulation) of nerve receptors (much in the same way that heat relieves scorpion venom stings - The temperature to denature scorpion venom proteins is near boiling so whilst putting your stung parts in a boiling kettle would work, it is likely to also denature your own tissues!.

Good article here:

Insect bite article

I can imagine there are far worse bitey bastards in the desert to deal with.

Solifuge. Relatively harmless but scary as fuck. Had one run up my leg, over my wedding tackle, up my chest and over my face one night while laying nekkid on top of the covers and sweating like a fat girl in a sweet shop. Damn near shat the bed.

Have a look on some horse forums, they make repellent with citronella, vinegar, washing up liquid n stuff. Worked on the pony and nephew.

CFB

Just a thought, but if @Lardbeast theory of using a very hot spoon to denature the foreign proteins is correct, an application of any Bio washing liquid, like Bold or Persil, which contains protease enzymes should also do the job, and it can be carried in a bottle, ready to use. Also will help clean the wound.

The hot spoon works far better than the 'Click Don't Itch' zappers...they are ok for a quick fix, but the itch comes back.

Hot spoons are the way forward.

Fully signed up convert to the BDSM Hot Spoonists