Horsefly bites

No, but a few days later I kicked one as hard as I possibly could, having watched him switch for on LFTT, so he could engage the Figure 11s the attacking section where just about to grenade...

He didn't hear me shout STOP hence the boot / clot interface. The bloke is about 6'4" and skinny AF, and the grandson / ?great grandson of a WW2 General you will have heard of...

The blokes in the pic where LMG gunners suppressing.
LFTT??? How fecking dare you deign to use a four letter abbreviation I have to google and still not understand?!

YOU WILL speak in plain from now on or I'll have to get all x-ray-alpha-oscar on you, hit you with the requisite "beadwindow" - note your response (there is only one) - Mark the tape for replay and horsefly bites will be the bloody least of your worries!

think yourself lucky it wasnt a sheep tick
bastard things look like spiders
but if you dont treat the infection you get your own table at the CO OP
As I have grown older I have developed an increasing level of concern for ticks .... I now rarely walk in the Summer wearing shorts .

think yourself lucky it wasnt a sheep tick
bastard things look like spiders
but if you dont treat the infection you get your own table at the CO OP
getting them off has to be done right. One of the blokes I was on ex with had three on and around the family jewels at endex. He was shown what to do by the female medic.

While we're at this, anyone got a good recommendation for insect repellant in general, but with a slant to mossies? Because of the humidity down town I'm camping out alot at the mo..I have a supermarket-bought anti-mossie spray but it is pretty ineffective...I have been pondering sending a letter to the manufacturer asking if they have enough confidence in their product to use it and enter a room containing 1000 mosquitoes, all harbouring the cerbral strain of malaria ( kills in a matter of hours...just enough time to write your will and have a last few drinks...er, no.)
Oil of citronella or oil of spike lavender are very effective natural insect repellents, I use either when out in the woods around the rearing pens at this time of year and it works just great.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
As I have grown older I have developed an increasing level of concern for ticks .... I now rarely walk in the Summer wearing shorts .
I have been bitten twice
the first time it was nearly the chop for me
local doc did not have a clue
went on holiday and got worse and worse so wife drags me to the local doctor, who had just returned from France, he spotted it right off, I had been working in a manor in Ledbury the owners had returned from France with loads of old French furniture, the buggers came out of the bedding and got me

Second time wearing shorts at work I got nipped
local doc would not believe it was a sheep/deer tick, but I pointed out that our site was next to an old railway line and muntjac were often seen there
he flicked up a map on his PC and it showed the increase in Muntjack deer in our county
I got the treatment pronto

While we're at this, anyone got a good recommendation for insect repellant in general, but with a slant to mossies? Because of the humidity down town I'm camping out alot at the mo..I have a supermarket-bought anti-mossie spray but it is pretty ineffective...I have been pondering sending a letter to the manufacturer asking if they have enough confidence in their product to use it and enter a room containing 1000 mosquitoes, all harbouring the cerbral strain of malaria ( kills in a matter of hours...just enough time to write your will and have a last few drinks...er, no.)
I live in an area that was a swamp for about 3000 years until Mussolini drained it.

I have tried every know thing to man to keep mozzies away. Electronic lights , sounds smells, citronella in every form, burning coils, candles, ultra sonic devices, even bought an all singing moscito delito gas powered, mushroom scented, UV light attracting Machine from the US at about 500 $. Failed.

The only three things that do work are?..

1. UK Mil issued moxzzy,insect repellant. The stuff that melts all plastic know to man.

2. German Mil issued mozzy,insect repellant. The stuff in the small yellow bottle, that even takes enamel off a sink.

3. American “Deep woods” can of spray.

Bugger about them all is you need to shower before going to bed.

Last edited:
The good old DEET will do the job, given the concentration is above 50%. There is a UK based company named Lifesystems which has a broad range of repellents in various concentrations. Be aware, DEET does nasty things with plastics.

Aaaargh they smart.

One of the b*stards bit my todger recently ( see below); lots of quite painful swelling requiring both Anthistan and Piriton stuff.

Anyone have any other treatment tips?

is that a girls leg?

It looks suspiciously like the leg in his ebay advert where hes selling a flowery dress , @Bravo_Bravo is posting some very odd stuff lately , someone should drop by to see if he`s okay.

BB`s Dress is for sale.
I was only just saying to @Bravo_Bravo yesterday that I aspire to being just like him as he's my role model, only to find he has girl's legs. That soft milky white skin and girly soft muscle makes me wonder if he is also masquerading as ginge in 'a nice bit of ginger', so not only having multiple sock puppet accounts, but also acting as a figure of male desire for some of the blokes on here.

I'm gutted - he's really a girl

Tea tree oil is the bollocks for spots, shaving cuts etc but I've never tried it on mozzie bites, which is a pity as the bastards had a piss up of me the other week. Thanks!

morsk

LE
There is a lot of standing about and not much in the way of observing arcs/use of cover/suitable fire positions going on here. Did someone call endex 3 seconds ago or something?

LFTT??? How fecking dare you deign to use a four letter abbreviation I have to google and still not understand?!

YOU WILL speak in plain from now on or I'll have to get all x-ray-alpha-oscar on you, hit you with the requisite "beadwindow" - note your response (there is only one) - Mark the tape for replay and horsefly bites will be the bloody least of your worries!
Er, did google let you down? - arrse link

Now, even a perpetual civvy like myself can have an educated guess at what Live Fire Tactical Training is. Probably something to do with those bangy things going bang while running about in camouflage shooting at targets.

Check out the education standards thread for proper acronym bollocks.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I live in an area that was a swamp for about 3000 years until Mussolini drained it.

I have tried every know thing to man to keep mozzies away. Electronic lights , sounds smells, citronella in every form, burning coils, candles, ultra sonic devices, even bought an all singing moscito delito gas powered, mushroom scented, UV light attracting Machine from the US at about 500 $. Failed.

1. UK Mil issued moxzzy,insect repellant. The stuff that melts all plastic know to man.

2. German Mil issued mozzy,insect repellant. The stuff in the small yellow bottle, that even takes enamel off a sink.

you must live near Aprilia or Sabaudia then

I got chewed by a gang of horseflies a couple of weeks ago. Ended up at the quacks with swollen jaw, unable to speak and ferkin great hives (blisters) all over my pink body where the bastids had got me. I was itching like a rabid dog. Doc said "Oooh, best I've seen all year" and put me on steroids and anti histis. Nursey told me to use 'Jungle Formula Maximum" spray. Brilliant stuff, keeps the beasties away.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have found that witch hazel in roll-on form works very well. I have three formerly bites on my lower legs and they itched like buggery until Mrs Smeg got out the WH roll on.

I get regularly bitten by horse-flies (sometimes daily in June and July) and over the past decade or so have found it useful to take a one-a-day anti-histamine and a daily vitamin B complex supplement (or lots of Marmite).

Deet will keep them away but has to be applied frequently if you're working outdoors and the bastards will bite through clothes.

Once bitten, neat TCP is good, and I keep an eye on the bite site as there is some debate as to whether horse- and deer- flies can transmit Lyme disease. They've been found to carry it and other unpleasant blood-borne nasties, but there hasn't yet been a definitive test to see if they can transmit Lyme disease, although anecdotal evidence says that people can show the tell-tale 'bulls-eye' reaction after a bite. Marvellous.

What is the point of the bitey savages?

Sleep with a fan on to keep the air circulating. Makes it trickier for them to find you and they have shit crosswind landing technique.

If you have aircon, run it cold and sleep under a duvet. Cold fucks the little bastards.

Latest Threads